Why can't I get away from Orange

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jlearman, Dec 6, 2005.

1. jlearman

jlearman Member

I'm trying to downsize my rockerverb 50 half stack, so I've been looking at some "great" 2 channel combos...like bad cat, rivera, 65amps....

I just can't get into their overdrive distorion sounds...they're either too thin, or too heavy-metal sounding, etc etc

Anyone know of a combo that's in the same ballpark as the distortion from an AD30? Something with a master volume.

Thanks!

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Why not keep the Orange, and get a smaller cab and a HotPlate?

3. jlearman

jlearman Member

I'm about to break down and buy an ad40 tc, but I just figured, while I'm switching amps, I might as well give some other stuff a shot. The only amps I've owned are a fender deville and an Orange Rockerverb.

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

What's behind your interest in down-sizing? Is it a transportation problem or is the amp too loud or what?

5. jlearman

jlearman Member

Motivation is purely downsizing (life in nyc-small apt, no car, carrying the amp on the subways....).

However, I could go for something slightly more gritty than the rv50...The rocker 30 is the no-brainer choice...but I'm just curious what else is out there. Today I'm leaning toward a matchless sc-30. yesterday it was a hot cat...day before......

6. Leonc

SC-30 is a great amp (as is the Hot Cat). They're both quite unlike the Oranges. Quite. Look at the Bogner Shiva combos for something a little bit more like the Rockerverbs.

7. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

I am always a proponent of the Shiva. :) Pricey (though in the same category as the others mentioned), but glorious. The clean is great, great, as is the reverb.

I played a Rockerverb a few weeks ago (the occasion that the other guy in my band fell in love with one) and I would compare the clean favorably with the Shiva's. Not the same, but both are good.

I don't know if I would say the OD is "grittier" or not. The rocker is higher gain for sure. I like the Bogner better. It's basically a really refined, cranked JCM 800 (how I play it anyway). Take that as you will. I have always associated grit with Oranges, but the Rocker did remind me a little more a mesa or something, and somehow the mids just wouldn't boost the way I like them to. The other guy? Freakin' loved it. Hence, out conversation about yours. :) Hope that helps some man.

8. jlearman

jlearman Member

Thanks, avenerjimmie...the shiva is definitely now on my radar...but I feel like it's an amp I would love or hate. Something is leaning me toward hate. It worries me when you say there's something mesa-ish about it. I hate boogies. Can't stand their megadeath sound.

When I say I'm looking for something "grittier"....I feel like the OD on the Rockerverb is very buttery, and smooth...lots of gain for sure, but it's very musical and easy to digest. I'd like it be just a touch nastier...like some vox break up in there or something. I haven't played a bunch of amps, so I could be totally nuts and not making any sense.

I'm looking for jimmey eat world, switchfoot, copeland, emo stuff...

I think orange, vox, and jcm 800's dominate this sound.

9. Leonc

Read his post again--he was saying the Orange Rockerverb reminded him of the Mesa or something. NOT the Shiva. The Orange doesn't remind me of any Mesas I've heard. The only possible comparisson is that some of the Rectifiers have a lot of grindy gain...but it's pretty different sounding from the Orange's gain, IMHO.

This goes to show you a couple things: 1) you CANNOT put all that much weight on to what any of us say here because, 2) we all hear things differently.

The fact that you'd discount a Shiva because you mistankenly thought some guy on the internet who you don't know from Adam said it sounds "like a Mesa or something" is kinda telling too, LOL!!! :)

10. jlearman

jlearman Member

my bad. Totally misread that one.

Bottom line is, I just need to hear a shiva. I'll do that this week. Thanks for to all for putting up with my insane questions.

One last thing...is there a big difference between the El34 shiva and 6L6 version?

11. Leonc

hahha. You're excused :). Big difference? Depends on how you define big. In my book, I'd so no, not big...but noticable. Most of the amp's gain comes from the pre-amp seciton...

12. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

try either a fender hot rod delux 1x12
    or peavy classic 30 it hold its own pretty well sounds are similar

13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I played a RV 50 and I thought the distortion was fantastic. Maybe get the 30w combo and a pedal for the slightly ruder tone you seek.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I own an RV50 head and just picked up a used Shiva 6L6 1x12 combo from a TGP member (Thanks Mark). It was a few bills less then the RV50 head retails for.

I like the 6L6 Shiva better then the EL34. You really need to hear both to determine which suits you better.

The EL34 is slightly darker, more compressed and has a certain fizziness or grit to it - as you say. The 6L6 is more open, less compressed, smooth, better cleans, low and high end. It is very similiar to the RV50 but not voiced as dark.

15. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

I played a Rivera Clubster 45 last weekend. It has two channels, weighs 38 pounds, and I've got to say I was very impressed.

Video demo here:

http://www.rivera.com/

BB

16. Alias Archtop

Alias Archtop Member

If you like Orange...stick with it...you may have found your signature sound.

I love orange. There is nothing else like it. Sure, there are other amps that are great. But there is nothing that truly compares to Orange....Orange has it's own vibe.

17. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

You need one of these for the subway..minus the lame amp. ;)

[​IMG]

18. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

Try a Badcat CubIIR.
    It's anything but thin and nu-metalish.
    I ended my search for an amp when I played this beauty.

19. Mr. Mandolin

Mr. Mandolin Member

20. somedude

somedude Member

How about an AD30 combo?

The amp doesn't have a whole lot of gain on it's own, but it has a gritty sound to it, particularly with the EL84s that're in it.

I ended up selling it 'cause it was a little too gritty.... and between it and a Rivera I had I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not into EL84s. I needed something cleaner and with alot more headroom, so I bought an AD140. Killer amp... however it's not at all good for 'downsizing'.

If I was looking to 'downsize' again and I had some extra money to spend I'd hunt down either an AD50 or Retro50.... simply because they have EL34s in them.

Lastly.... why not get a 2x12 combo and stick it under your head?