Why can't I play Les Pauls?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by granite, Feb 25, 2006.

1. granite

granite Member

I'm a Strat guy. I've always been a Strat guy, but every so often I see those gorgeous LPs hanging in my local guitar store and I get the fever to own one.
    I take one down and fiddle with it for an hour and I always end up putting it back up.

Any one else suffer from this insane inability to go from Strat to LP or LP to Strat? Do we just pick one in our earlier years and then there is no going back? Why is like this?

2. yanquii

yanquii Member

I've never really had that problem. My first guitar was a Squier fat strat, and about 3 years after that, I got an LP studio. I can play both after i get comfortable with the differences. The feel isn't what bothers me going from an LP to a strat. It's the different ways they both have to be played. But, once I recognize it, it's all good.

Now the SG is one guitar I can never get comfortable with. It's like everything is shoved towards the neck of the guitar on those things.

3. Thwap

Thwap Member

I'm fine with strats and Les Pauls. I just don't do the same stuff on both

guitars. Each one dictates a style from me, so I adapt to a degree to try

to maximize the strength of each. I've grown up with Lesters, but I

couldn't be without a strat either...to many possibilities between those

two.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

You just haven't spent enough time with one. You've got to get that body memory thing going, and it takes much more time than a few hours here and there. I could guarantee you that if you played often on one for a week or two, you'd acclimate. As an owner of both, I can go seamlessly from Strat to LP now, but favored one in the beginning. AC

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

Although I consider myself a "Tele guy" at least for the last few years, I will happily play whatever I need to, to get the sound I need.

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'm in the middle myself and prefer my Tele..........but the Les Paul and the strat have their moments as well........:AOK :RoCkIn

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

LP's have always enticed me, but never felt good in my hands.
    I like narrower necks and soft V shapes.

8. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

+1, just get it, take her home, put away all the other guitars for a while and just play the paul. In no time she'll teach you how she wants to be played (imo, guitars break you in)!

9. Antero

Antero Member

Or maybe you just don't like them. I don't much care for the necks, the body feel, or the tone, so...

10. george4908

george4908 Member

I come from the opposite camp. Grew up with a Les Paul, so they feel totally natural to me. Have tried Strats, owned one for a while, but was not able to get physically comfortable with it. I'll probably give them another try at some point since I love the way they sound. No problem with Teles, though -- felt immediately at home on them and they're now part of the arsenal.

11. Hendrix95

Hendrix95 Member

I was like that at first, but you just need to get used to it because at first it feels so different. Sometimes now I get on an LP kick and then when I pick up my strat, that feels weird to me, and then eventually I get used to that again. You probably won't get used to it from just playing it in the store, it might take a few weeks of playing it, if you've been playing strats your whole life. You could try getting a used one, so that after a while, if you're still not used to it, you can just resell it for the same amount.

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

So much of my favorite music was made with LPs but I just can't get into playing them at all. Give me a Tele, Strat, Reverend, Godin, Warmoth-caster, PRS, Gretsch, you name it, I dig it - just not LPs.

13. CNP

CNP Member

I was the same way for years-- Teles and Strats only. LP's always felt bottom heavy and awkward to me till I recently picked up and bought an Historic '54 Custom (P90 in the bridge/fat alnico in the neck). That guitar's become my #1. It balances beautifully (I think part of that may be due to the heavy Grover tuners) and just oozes mojo and big fat tones. I still love my Teles and Strats, but that LP just kills.

14. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Sort of. Part of it might be if you are really well adapted to the scale length.

But I tried more than two hundred Les Pauls before I found one I wanted to own.

15. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

A great and timely question. I've just come to the same (but opposite) realization--I'm a Gibson guy. I principally play 335s. I love the sound of strats and teles and I've owned several of them. I just can't play as well on Fenders and they are just not my sound. I finally gave up and just sold my Tele and my (really sweet) custom shop strat. I just picked up a (Cloud 9) Chambered Reissue '57 Gold Top Les Paul. 10 seconds into playing it, I was like "Ahhhhhh." It felt and sounded fantastic--I LOVE that guitar. The only non-Gibsons I have are a PRS Hollowbody II. But this is a McCarty and has a totally Gibson feel. Also, I have an Ibanez AS 200 335-type guitar which, once again, has that Gibson feel.

In the end, I am what I am, and I like what I like. I'm not going to fight it anymore!

16. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I have played Strats since 69 and along the way have tried to get into Gibsons. I just can't get the hang of the necks and cannot get a good sound out of them. I own two Flying Vs that just sound bad in my hands - but I am still trying.

17. granite

granite Member

I think this is a major part of my problem with LPs. Also the neck size. I have a super light Swamp Ash/Maple Melancon Classic Artist with a +.40 overcarve that just feels so right to me. Playing the Mel is effortless. Playing a LP is just plain work for me and the weight....If only the LPs weren't so dang purty.

18. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I think that you can learn to go between the two. You will just need to have one of each on hand to train with.

I had some classical training when I was in college and I think that has helped my technique as well. My personal theory is that developing good technique will also help a player go between guitar types, different neck thicknesses and other differences between guitars. But it's just a theory and it may not help every player out there.

In the end it's an individual thing and you got to go with what works for you.

:)

19. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Funny,

A Les paul feels perfect to me. I have Gibsons, Prs', Ibanez, Yamaha, custom made, and a few more.

What I can't get comfy with is Fenders. They are fine sitting down, but standing up and having them hanging on my body just feels too awkward.

Guess it works both ways. And I agree, play 1 type for awhile, and the other feels awkward.

Dig the sound of both though, both so different and both so cool.

I guess you got to have 1 of each.

20. thintele

thintele Member

I had always wanted a LP and finally after searching for the right one at the right price , I found one and took it home. After fighting with it a while I gave up on it...I just could'nt gig with it . It seemed so clumsy and so heavy-handed and my Tele and my Strat so much more expressive ...I decided to sell it. I offered it to a couple friends of mine at a great price. Lucky for me neither of them could come up with the cash, because after spending some time with it, I learned to love it ...the way it played like butter...the crunch of those humbuckers...wouldn't be without one now.
    spend some time with one...It'll show you the love