Why can't I stop buying amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tcmono, Feb 27, 2012.

1. tcmono

tcmono Member

Not guitars, I'm set there (and I don't have many). Just GAS for amps and am constantly flipping them. Right now I have a 64 Vibroverb, a 15 watt Tweaker, a VVT X40 being built, just picked up a Rivera R55-112. In the last year I've sold an Allen Old Flame, a Sligo 5E3, and a Glaswerks Zingaro. Gassing HARD for a Route 66 or a Budda Superdrive. What's wrong with me? I play maybe 2 gigs a month!

2. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

Great to know im not alone. I've bought and sold more amps than ever, about 10 last year.
    Bugera v22, epi jr, pv spider, scxd (which i bought again), fender 600, pv c30, pico valve head, vht head, vht combo (im my hand wired phase) vox vt40+, Fender Acoustsonic, bugera v5, ......not expensive stuff, but then you don't have to drink champagne to be alcoholic!

3. blackie13

blackie13 Member

who can...????????

4. antbosca

antbosca Member

Why? I would say probably because you rock, dude! You'll like the R55, an amazing value. I am still regularly blown away by both the cleans and the grind in my R30. The cab and stock speaker are the weak point in that amp. If you plan on keeping it and gigging with it it's worth a speaker swap at least, or even better run it into a better cab. It loves a 4x12.

Once you've got that speaker sorted, add a couple more amps to your must-try list:

Morgan AC20 Deluxe
    BC Audio #8
    Bogner Goldfinger or International Series

5. dennisd

dennisd Member

I hear you. On the amp front I bought a Bogner Shiva about ten years ago and I have stuck with it. Second amps have come and gone but the Shiva does have an almost perfect clean and distortion channel.
    That's me, though. What kind of sound are you seeking?

6. Guitarnotsoguru

Guitarnotsoguru Ultimate Plutonium Member

I've been like that too..... My question is do you regret selling the Zingaro or the 5E3

7. jota

jota Member

I have amp GAs all the time but, since I can't sell my amps cause I love them, I have no money to buy others!
    no money=no GAS!

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Believe it or not, it's a disease. lol

9. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

I'm an ampaholic also, cant seem to get enough.[​IMG]

Just got these 2 last month[​IMG]

10. 19jmm68

19jmm68 Member

The only way it stopped for me was when I ran out of $.......I got married and no longer had the disposable income. It's been rough coming off of the "amp Gas addiction", but, now that I am forced into the corner, so to speak...........I am actually playing more and enjoying what I got. New rule is I can only buy if I sell something or if i earn the money gigging....

11. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I have the same disease.

12. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I went through many years of buying/flipping etc etc.
    Went through my D phase with Two-Rock, Bludo and Glaswerks.
    Had many great boutique amps like the above plus, Carol-Ann, Germino, Reinhardt, Bruno, Dr Z, Victoria and others.

A couple of years ago I decided to stop searching and get the amps I was gigging when I was in my early 20's.
    So, I found a great JMP 2204 EL-34 and a SF Vibrolux Reverb(tweaked by Alan Philips).
    Amp GAS has been gone ever since.

However, if I could afford to, I would have a ton of vintage amps.:D

13. levous

levous Member

Vox guy, huh? Do you play them? Sell them? That's an awful lot of not plugged in :)

Nice wall of amps, though. Seriously mindblowing

14. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Levous

I know which pair of jeans i'm going to wear to a gig, and which shirt but i have a hard time choosing the amp or amps i'm going to bring along.

Cheers

15. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Actually sold two...on the road to recovery....... :bong

16. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

How about it's easier to buy new amps, pretending that (or falsely convinced that) it's important to search for better tone......than it is to buckle down and learn how to play your guitar/produce good stuff on your guitar?

Also, if we put effort on guitar and find that we're not as good as we hoped, it would suck. So we go off to buy amps because if we fail there, it's not OUR fault.

I imagine the above reasons apply to a lot of us. I discovered it applied to me. And it started soon after I discovered these amp forums. I hardly ever gave a crap what amp I had before this, and I've played professionally my whole life.

I'm getting it under control now. (and also ironically, discovering that solid state is, in a way, better than tube for my style--but I'll admit that that way may not be as important as the way that tubes sound better than SS), so I'm keeping my DSL and Blackstar as my 'good' amps. :)

But man, that solid state sound which apparently includes less overtones, certainly is CLEAN and somehow direct sounding considering it is only (or mainly) producing the SINGLE tone I just picked that note for in the first place anyway.

17. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

I love people with this "problem". Keeps me busy! ;)

Keep this all in perspective...I recently joined a automotive forum for Subaru's...some of THOSE people have real issues. Somebody dropped 20k to make their standard 2.5i Impreza just look like a fancy WRX STI. No performance mods at all, just cosmetics. That's half the price of the WRX itself!

If a couple of amps, or constantly trying and flipping amps make you happy, why stop? As long as you're not losing significant amounts of money or over extending your finances...consider it a hobby!

18. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

It is sort of a dis-ease, lack of comfort.

When you have kids, or even without, some people get to a point where they realize that the average kid appreciates Christmas presents more in a limited quantity. What I mean is, if you buy the kid that one thing that he REALLY, really wants, he'll play with it and enjoy it, and get so much out of it. If you distract him with a number of lesser gifts ALSO, he tends in many cases to not focus on anything, and kind of gets cheated.

I think it works that way with us as adults also.

I don't mean to be serious Nelly here, but I'm finding that this amp GAS thing is a serious impediment to my progress on guitar. I know that some of you are collectors and like amps more than you really like to play guitar, and that's very cool also.I LOVE seeing your collections. But I'm getting all serious here for the guys for whom guitar is very important and have an underlying feeling about the amps they search out, like I had for the last couple years.

19. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

I'm in the same boat. Haven't bought a guitar in a long while but amps...eh, I'm still learning to settle down.

20. droptune

droptune Member

I have 3 guitars that I play all the time and will never part with them. Now amps are a different story. I am always looking for the right amp. Ive been very happy with my last purchase though even thought I have owned at least 10 of them in the past. Its an original 5150. Its just the best for drop-tuned heavey stuff and Ive owned just about high-end high-gainer out there. The search will always continue.