Why can't Polytune Tuners tune my open tuning?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Footbutt, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

...say that five times fast.

since i'm stuck in the past and have been playing open-D tuning on my Jaguar for over a decade, i need something that can tune fast and accurate AND in polyphony, if possible.

i emailed Korg, asking them about their new frazzle-dazzle, Polytuner and hoping it could do open-tuning tuning. They said no.

they didn't tell me why, just "no".

so i take it that it's a hardware thing and not a software.
    but how AWESOME would it be to upload tunings into a polyphonic tuner?! have we not come this far in technology that we can't do this yet?
    /end rant

for live settings at church, when i have to slap on a capo, i guess i just need something that's faster than the Pitchblack.
    That, or i just have to suck it up and play in regular tuning. Oh, the humanity.

2. hclapp219

hclapp219 Member

Part of the problem is that Korg doesn't make the Polytune, TC Electronic does...

3. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

Korg announced a new Pitchblack with polytune capabilities at this years NAMM. I imagine OP was looking for an alternative, as TC Electronic's tuner failed him.

4. chervokas

chervokas Member

I must say I've never gotten the appeal of polytuning...nor have I ever used anything other than the chromatic setting on any of my tuners -- and I do jump around between standard tuning, open G tuning, drop D, etc.... Do people find poly tuning and tuning programs really that much faster than just tuning to the tuning of your choice with a mono tuner on the chromatic setting?

5. Distorque

Distorque Member

It's probably just because they haven't developed it for different tunings yet. They wanted to get a polyphonic tuner to market quickly to compete with the Polytune.

That said, I can see open tunings being a problem. The biggest technical challenge in developing polyphonic tuners is telling the difference between a string's fundamental and the harmonics of lower strings. In standard tuning, these are the places where this conflict occurs:

Low E third harmonic = B
    Low E fourth harmonic = High E
    A third harmonic = High E

There aren't any second harmonics, which is good because they tend to be the strongest harmonic and the main issue. The third and fourth harmonics are easier to get rid of or ignore. Now let's look at Open D (DADF#AD)

Low D second harmonic = Middle D
    Low D fourth harmonic = High D
    Low A second harmonic = High A
    Middle D second harmonic = High D

Now there are three second harmonics to get rid of. They have a higher amplitude than higher harmonics, and that means that processing this tuning will be more difficult.

6. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

you nailed it. i knew it was wishful thinking.
    i might have to invest in a Turbo Tuner, then.
    (pretty sad when you have to invest in a tuner.)