Why can't we discuss our experiences on pedalbuilders?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Oct 4, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Wow,

This really peeves me. Why can't we discuss these matters here? A recent thread here was fine before the builder turns up and starts pulling the thread down by getting into a twitch about something completely different to what was discussed... Dang... Now the thread is locked!

2. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Personal grievances are personal and should be handled by personal communication like phone or email. Stating one's experiences on the gear page are fine and valuable information when germane to the gear page topics. Speculation about motives, inequitable treatment and suchlike are not fine. Scott did what he needed to do. Take a deep breath and return to gear discussions, not gear metadiscussions.

IMO, natch.

3. rewog

rewog Member

Yep, it was just a discussion - no rules were broken.
    This is a Forum - the idea is to discuss things.

Why is it OK to discuss poor service from a company that sells pedals, but not directly from a builder ?

4. rewog

rewog Member

Read the thread carefully - it WAS a discussion about experiences.
    Inequitable treatment IS an experience.

5. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Speculation about inequitable treatment or data about inequitable treatment?

6. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Gold Supporting Member

7. rewog

rewog Member

I have the proof if you really care - so Data.

Look - a builder should be free to sell his pedals to whoever he wants in whatever order he wants.

BUT - if a builder chooses to do that - why can't it be discussed... here..... on a Forum about such things ?

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Rico spells it out nicely.

For those that don't get it, if you have a nit to pick with someone you need to handle that business either a) face-to-face; b) on the phone; c) via email. The main theme there is, directly.

Posting innuendo and accusations on an online forum is not the way to handle it. It is spelled out in the User Agreement every member here agreed to. Click on the "FAQ" above.

The aversion to simply "handling your business" man-to-man (or variations of that not based on gender) and rather running with it all over online forums is baffling. What does it accomplish? Nothing.

It is fine to post good/bad experiences. Leave the emotional touchwords and all emotional content out, stick to the facts and leave it at that. Don't draw conclusions you cannot back with facts.

Everytime someone does do that, it puts a moderator or administrator in the position of judge, jury, or arbritrator. We are NOT paid here. We are NOT paid to handle your issue, or to run interference for you in any way. If we leave the content up, we can be sued for doing so. Not that it would happen, not that it is right or wrong. Please review the FAQ for more details.

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I think this is the right place to talk about these. Sometimes it seems that it is only ok to talk about positive experineces here i.e. with products and builders and as soon as something negative pops up and it raises some attention the thread is pulled/locked. Negative experiences are just as important as positive ones!

10. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Yeah, I know.

Looks guys, Sean runs a low key bidness. I have never seen any evidence of favoritism. The rate that pedals come out is variable. The pedals that are available at any given time are variable. All the rest is speculation without inner knowledge of the workings of Sean's bidness and that, after all, IS Sean bidness.

That's all I have to offer. Everybody please beathe and give each other the benefit of the doubt until any communication issues can be ironed out in private.

OY...this is why I'm not a moderator.

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I think the whole thing started off as sharing an experience, not blaming a builder or what not.

12. Scott Peterson

And because of the level of "peeve" no one will read my post, and this topic will again flame up and boil down to personal attacks and get nuked.

Think folks. With your brain. Analyze. Read. Understand. Talk to each other like grown men. Remove the emotion. Stop the madness.

Pick up the damn phone and work it out.

13. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Ok, so you are allowed to critisize builders, just leave the emotion out? That should be no problem then. No personal attacks, just facts...

14. Scott Peterson

Yes, it is that simple, but note - strongly note - that these things need to be worked out between the two parties involved, not played on the internet in a forum. It is a business transaction that needs to be handled in real life. Not on the net.

15. rewog

rewog Member

And yet there's a thread that accuses "Bananas at Large" of dealing fraudulantly with credit cards, threads criticising "MusicToyz", etc that haven't been locked ?

16. seanc

seanc Member

Good Point!

Listen, Fair enough that emotions has to be taken out. As much as i disagree....i can see that point. Questions were being asked and experiences were being shared. Didnt see the harm in that.

17. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I really appreciate this forum. Its a great place to learn the good and the bad. Sure things get out of hand every once and a while....we are human.

I've been snubbed by certain pedal builders and I've also been treated like royalty by others. Live and learn. Vote with your dollars and keep it civil.

Kudos to the moderators! :AOK

Bob

18. seanc

seanc Member

i agree Bob. We as consumers and buyers are just talking about the gear we buy and the service we get. Voting with you dollars is a good call!

19. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I think we should be able to talk about are experiences, I thought thats why we come here.....If the same person talked about their experience w/ say Maxon or Fender, would the thread be silenced....? I want to hear what people think about all companies dealing in musical equipment......And if the builder or manufacter wants to come in and make their point, thats GREAT...The what we do in the USA.....Bottom line is IMO....Whats Fair?

20. erksin

erksin Member

I think the grey area comes in when the builder is incommunicado - how else are you to find out any info on your purchase when your replies go unanswered other than going public?

There's a few lessons to be learned for everybody in all of this stuff IMO:

Buyers - do your homework to find out if the guy is trustworthy and establish a line of communication PRIOR to sending anybody your money.

Builders - people expect some amount of follow up regarding their order status, its called 'Customer Service' and it should be a cornerstone of your business ethic.