why canti get this RIGHT????

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by timeforheroes, Aug 18, 2008.

1. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

so, when my 3 way selector switch went out on my CIJ tele..... I decided to throw in a whole new wiring harness since the CIJ fender have completely junky electronics.

heres what happened.

I ordered this kit (standard tele 3-way kit)

http://guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_kitstele.htm

i followed this wiring diagram

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/su...ndard_tele.pdf

The guitar plugged in gives me the annoying buzz/ hum that vanishes as long as i touch a metal part that connects to the bridge.... there is also a very very very faint hissing or squealing in the background......it sounds like a teapot of boiling water?

I have a few questions!
    1. the neck pup has three leads. 2 of them connect to the actual copper wring. and the last one just solders onto the pickup cover "tab". I suppose this is some sort of ground lead?

2. where does this thrid "ground" lead connect too? Do i even need it for this diagram (cause i sure dont see it on the diagram!!!))?

3. Why do i get a buzz? i grounded the volume pot to the bridge pickup!!!

now... i want to say that this tele is not shielded. But, i never had grounding issues before!!!!

2. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

The cover of of neck pup needs to be grounded to the volume pot. You may have omited to reconnect the ground wire coming from the bridge or it may have gotten displaced when you installed the bridge pup. If you hear buzz when you play but it gets reduced in volume when you touch the jack plate or the controls, that's your problem.

Andy

3. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

4. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Do you have a multimeter? Check that you have a solid ground from your bridge to your control plate/back of pots and the same with the neck pickup cover.