Why clean boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rollyfoster, Oct 3, 2006.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Please explain why, exactly, a clean boost is a desired pedal. I've never used one, what are common applications and reasons to use it?

2. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Im guessing to cut thru the mix.

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Volume boost, push your amp, push an OD,fuller signal for a few reasons.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

A clean boost into the front end of a tube amp that is turned up enough to begin opening up will increase a)tube sag, b) dynamic flexibility, c) volume, d) compression, e) sustain, f) fatness/body of your guitar sound...

It leaves the general sound of your amp alone, but makes it hotter in a manner not quite the same as a distortion pedal, master volume or just turning it up louder. You can try it with any pedal wtih a volume control that the effect can be dialed out from (turn the "effect" strength down and the volume up past unity gain), it will give you the basic idea unless you can't turn your amp up or if it's solid state. There are a variety of types of clean boost pedals that all act differently in different setups and different amps take clean boosts differently.

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

one word: SOLOS!

6. DavidH

DavidH Member

I use mine alot,vital to me,i have the moollon boost and it's great,very transparent and has a great buffer,gives much more tweakability to the sound being able to boost the signal like that without coloring the tone.I'm liking mine into the low input on my amp particularly,and the amp or the guitar volume isn't necessarily dimed so like nashvillesteve said,not the same as just turning it up.Turning the boost off and turning the amp back up is different so essentially it gives flexibility you don't have otherwise.The first pedal i'd buy,the only pedal i couldn't live without if i was forced to chose one.Little review and sound clip of the moollon one herehttp://www.ultimateguitargear.com/tone_party_reviews_moollon.htm

7. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I use a clean boost through the FX Loop of my amp for a volume boost to cut through with solos. My amp has a built in "boost", but having a clean boost pedal allows me to fine tune just how much volume I need for the occasion and the boost on the amp can still be used to give me some different lead tones.

8. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

At one time I owned a Keeley Katana Clean Boost (wish I'd never gotten rid of it)!, and I liked the way it just enhanced the overall tone of the Amp. I didn't play at Stage Volumes to notice the difference either. It just seemed to add sweetness and when the Speedo knob is dialed in right, you get a earlier breakup on your tube amp. Right now I am using the Java Boost and it works in much the same way, just not as 'clean' as the Katana.

-VtG-

9. b_rad

b_rad Member

I'm currently playing in a two guitar band, and it's crucial for solos in this application. There's no worry about the other guy having to back off of his rythym when I ca just crank it up a few db's, and vice versa.

10. Padsy9

Padsy9 Member

I use my Barber Launch Pad in the ways described by VtG and nashvillesteve. You can push your pre-amp tubes harder to get the most tone/dynamics/presence/sweetness/whatever-you-want-to-call-it out of them at any volume. Used this way, it's really just a great tool to get the most out of your amp. The results were really dramatic for my clean tones and it definitely enhanced my overdriven tones as well.

11. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

It saves you from having 2 different sounds, when one good sound will do, just more of it, get it?
    Yeah, these days when playing in a band situation, it helps you cut thru on leads. Most guys I have played with tend to have a dynamic range of forte up to triple-forte. Which is saying there is not much room if people don't back off and give you some space. Also today's guitar amps tend to cross over frequency range of bass and other stuff, and in general loud live music is mushy and fatiguing to the ear. It's hard to pick stuff out with all that volume.
    In my experience, a soundman is just holding a beer all night, once he gets the basic mix; so even though your amp is miced, the fader is rarely moved up for a lead. Most soundmen can't tell who's switching from rhythm to lead on stage, anyway, unless there is an obvous lead player.
    This is where you come in, step on your little booster, and go, back down for the chorus!
    I also use the booster to allow my Fender guitar, with weaker output, to react with my amp more like my Gibson. Using it this way, I would leave it on all the time when playing a strat for instance.

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

This is THE ANSWER - all else is commentary. :)

13. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I have the Moollon, too. A bit expensive but a VERY nice transparent boost without any eq (it doesn't need it). I place mine at the end of the chain and use it to boost the signal for solos.

I also use the Xotic RC which is my favorite clean boost. I use the RC early in the chain and it is on most of the time.

14. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Why a clean boost? Because your amp will supply the necessary dirt when pushed a little harder.

Obviously, it depends on amp settings, and taste, but it's a useful feature to have on a pedal board (mine's built into my tonebone A/B switcher).

Cheers,

Kris

15. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

because generally speaking when guitarists hear their guitar louder, we perceive it to sound better.

16. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Into a clean amp it increases your volume.

Into a dirty amp it increases your gain/saturation levels.

17. rollyfoster

so, would it be a benefit to playing at lower volumes? does it make it sound like you're pushing the amp harder?

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

It pushes the preamp section harder, which affects the power section to some degree I'm sure. However, a lot of the cranked amp sound has to do with the power section and speaker- no way around it. I wouldn't say that it's akin to an attenuator at all in design or function.

19. rollyfoster

but it pushes the preamp with a hotter signal, though, right? i am considering trying one out, but want to make sure what it does, exactly, before i pull the trigger.

20. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Yes. At living room volumes (which are relative!) when the amp isn't opened up a bunch, it may just make it louder. You might consider an overdrive pedal that works as a good clean boost (like the Hotcake), that way you can add a bit of OD for lower volume playing to get you closer...

Also, I have had as much or more fun with "unclean" boosting... different types and amounts of gain added to the boost are fun.