• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why did Crate discontinue the Power Block?

DrSax

I have one, and darn it if that little guy isn't the coolest thing. It actually doesn't sound bad (it wouldn't be my first choice, but still...) and is so great to bring along to a jam where a cabinet is already there. With the right pedals, you can really get some great sounds.

Anybody know why they stopped making it? It seems like lots of folks liked it, but maybe I'm wrong.....

franksguitar

I have one and use it as a backup if an amps fails and sometimes have used it as a stereo 2nd head to power a speaker cab fed out of a tube amp pre from pedalboard.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I have one and use it as a backup if an amps fails and sometimes have used it as a stereo 2nd head to power a speaker cab fed out of a tube amp pre from pedalboard.
I just bought one from a member here to keep in the car during gigs. Worst comes to worse, I can sub it for my head if something goes wrong.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Actually, they're pretty unreliable: lots of bad pots and the power supply died on some of them. I think for something they were only getting $200 for it was just too much trouble. That said, I've used mine for guitar, bass and a PA power amp in a pinch: killer swiss army knife. The gain pot is scratchy, though...

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
...they're pretty unreliable...
I've heard that as well, but haven't had any trouble with mine.

At the $69 blowout price I paid for it I think it was a steal, but for $200 I wouldn't have considered it.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard that as well, but haven't had any trouble with mine.

At the $69 blowout price I paid for it I think it was a steal, but for $200 I wouldn't have considered it.
$69 is what I paid for mine too, I tried it with some pedals and it would get me through a gig if needed but so far I have never had to use it so it sits in my gig bag...definitely a great back up!

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
I have a couple, for backup or power amp needs. One had warranty service for a bad pot. Have you guys seen the pots they use? Tiny little square grey plastic things. Doesn't resemble what we know and love as pots in any way. Flimsy?? sheesh........

Mercury25

Sold the one I had, the next weekend my other guitar player had amp problems...
bought another one ASAP--just for peace of mind.

OrangeAD30TC

The venerable H.W.
Because you would have to be high to buy a Crate power block for 200 when the AC-4 exists for the same price.

Dave Cowley

It was a slick little amp for sure, but I think reliability problems did it in. I had one smoke and die on me, and had it replaced under warranty. Then one day the second one just quit working. Its little power lamp blinks on and off slowly, and no sound comes out anymore...

shane8

wow cool idea but they were like $599 oz for them here (we get conned on lotsa stuff) a mex strat is now $1299oz list

dk123123dk

I got a cool idea for a power block.

You know those gigs where you're small amp just won't cut through the mix as much as it seemed to at practice? Esp these small little 5-20 watters that seem to very popular nowadays. Well if you amp doesn't have a line out, you get a good DI with a line out, and run that to the powerblock, then run the powerblock to the cab.

Bam more volume when you need it, and not too much extra to carry around.

dk

fullerplast

Who was it here that brought a Crate PB to a NJ Dumblefest "stealth tucked" into a little combo and blew peoples minds?:thud

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Because you would have to be high to buy a Crate power block for 200 when the AC-4 exists for the same price.
The Vox AC4TV looks like a nice amp, but it just came out. Also, my guess is it would not provide enough clean headroom for most people or hang with a drummer un-miced.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I just bought one from a member here to keep in the car during gigs. Worst comes to worse, I can sub it for my head if something goes wrong.
That's exactly what i use mine for. I have it in my incidentals bag, so I can hook up to the pedalboard in about a min or so. Also keep an extra battery powered dirt box in the bag just in case. With hour long original gigs, it's faster than trying to sus out a tube issue.
Worth every bit of the 100 bucks I paid for it.

Plus I use it to break in speakers now. Just run a cd through it in to the cab.

Trending Topics