• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why did Eddie's sound change so much from 1984 to 5150?

morglan

After not being able to listen too VH for probably 20 years, I've recently been on a huge VH binge, mostly focusing on the 1984 era (the pinnacle of his tone IMO).

Today I listened to 5150 all the way through and apart from the obvious, it almost sounds like a different band. What happened to make such a huge change? Different producer?

Old Guy

After not being able to listen too VH for probably 20 years, I've recently been on a huge VH binge, mostly focusing on the 1984 era (the pinnacle of his tone IMO).

Today I listened to 5150 all the way through and apart from the obvious, it almost sounds like a different band. What happened to make such a huge change? Different producer?
Different studio, different guitar, different amp, different producer. Makes a difference.

chumbucket

Silver Supporting Member
Different production. Instead of the dry mono channel with some wet effected reverb and delay in the other channel, you now get Eddie playing stereo through effects in both channels. There is a little detuned chorusing or something going on. The end of an era. :(

PLX

MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once
On VHI Ed was still using the old method of mixing a JBL speaker with a Celestion to achieve this sort of thing.

Much more organic sounding.

I have two ISO guitar clips of RWTD - one from each speaker. Dave Friedman shared these a while back.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
...mostly focusing on the 1984 era (the pinnacle of his tone IMO).
IMHO, the pinnacle of his tone was everything up to and including 1984. After that, the whole trans-trem and doubled/chorused sound came in and took over and while it seemed to fit the new pop-ish style of the band, was a let down for those of us who remembered what he used to sound like.

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
If you listen closely it didn't really change much, the base tone is very similar. But the obvious change is the mix of Ed's guitar, now heavily in stereo with a pair Eventide H969's for pitch detune left/right.
TBH I love it for what it is.

Banditt

Along with the garbage tone change, I feel Ed's creativeness and unique sense of melody fell to the wayside...his leads became more predictable, and cliches of his previous work. All of the ear-opening uniqueness on previous work, especially Mean-street era stuff, was gone. Prob Drink and drugs.

Ampedusa

Part of it was Dan Martin getting him different guitars. The Steinbergers, the “Finish what you started” Strat. Etc.

morglan

Along with the garbage tone change, I feel Ed's creativeness and unique sense of melody fell to the wayside...his leads became more predictable, and cliches of his previous work. All of the ear-opening uniqueness on previous work, especially Mean-street era stuff, was gone. Prob Drink and drugs.
I'm afraid I'd have to disagree there--to me his playing pinnacle was the third solo on Source of Infection off OU812. Just light-years beyond anything else.

Trending Topics