• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why did Eddie's sound change so much from 1984 to 5150?

chillybilly

You’re referring to the GP cover story from 1980, right as WACF was released.

I recall he said they used to tune down to C# as creating Mike’s troubles.
Or he might have said D-Flat.
But considering most of the Dave-era was something close to E-flat, I don’t think your recall is entirely accurate.

At the risk of being pedantic (aw who am I kidding? This is TGP ) I was sitting in the car wash waiting room and found the quote.

RUSHFANnLV

Fair Warning IS the best EVH tone. I think with 5150 Ted was out of the picture and Ed took control. Lots of tight reverb (room instead of the typical hall with Ted) and the already mentioned chorus.

I really love the Sammy era. I love the 5150 record tone wise and in every other way. Eat Em and Smile from DLR didn't do it for me lyrically or in terms of the guitar. My favorite song from 5150 is probably Dreams. I like the DLR era Van Halen, my favorite being 1984.

1984 and 5150 are my favorite VH records.

tazzboy

Silver Supporting Member
Bare in mind this is coming from the same guy who caused hundreds of Marshalls to blow their power transformers by telling kids he cranked UP the variac, when in reality he lowered it...

the guy can spin a yarn, is all.
Yes Ed admitted to that being a lie.

Rick Lee

People who think music crirics are pissy, self-important killjoys have never met a self-proclaimed tone critic.
I was discussing backlining and sharing gear with the guitarist in a band my band is sharing a gig with this Fri. He said, "I know you're an amp snob, and I say that with the utmost respect, but...."

Rick Lee

Fair Warning IS the best EVH tone. I think with 5150 Ted was out of the picture and Ed took control. Lots of tight reverb (room instead of the typical hall with Ted) and the already mentioned chorus.
I think the difference with Ted was that, while the guitar was panned to one speaker, the reverb was panned to the other one. So you'd hear bass in the other speaker, but the guitar's reverb was in the same speaker as the bass, and no reverb or bass in the speaker with the guitar. It doesn't really make sense on paper, but it does sound pretty good if you have a decent set of headphones.

JPH118

If 5150 was the first Van Halen album and nothing was recorded before then, what you think of it?
I think it was right on par with the better bands & albums of the era, Toto would be a good comparison I think... certainly more memorable than the other Hagar albums, to me at least. But it didn’t flip the world upside down like VH1, Fair Warning, or 1984. There’s just not that one thing that would’ve catapulted them from obscurity to stardom on any of those Hagar albums, IMHO. The older albums have those moments in spades.

Last edited:

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Good album in the mold of Foreigner, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Toto, Styx. If it actually was their first then in no way would they be forever considered one of the great hard rock bands.
I disagree....the Hagar years sold a ton, sold out tours across the world and Van Halen would still have been one of the great hard rock bands.

Rick Lee

I use my tuner mostly for intonating my guitars. I tune by ear and my hearing is a lot more sensitive than my TU-3 is programmed for.

BADHAK

I disagree....the Hagar years sold a ton, sold out tours across the world and Van Halen would still have been one of the great hard rock bands.
That's because they were Van Halen and they were coming off the back of their most successful album. The question asked was, critique 5150 as if it was the FIRST Van Halen album, not the 7th. No way 5150 would have been as big as it ended up being, and not a chance in hell would it have been a game changer like VH1.

BADHAK

I think it was right on par with the better bands & albums of the era, Toto would be a good comparison I think... certainly more memorable than the other Hagar albums, to me at least. But it didn’t flip the world upside down like VH1, Fair Warning, or 1984. There’s just not that one thing that would’ve catapulted them from obscurity to stardom on any of those Hagar albums, IMHO. The older albums have those moments in spades.
Yep, spot on

FPFL

We can’t know how big 5150 would’ve been as album 1. VH was such a big influence it wrecks any serious attempt out of the gate.

That said many, many bands changed singers and quickly flopped hard... where VHagar was platinum sales and big tours. I think they were a different band but equally big.

Trending Topics