Why did I just buy a Klon, Eternity, Mosferatu, Honey Bee

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KDSI44, Feb 19, 2006.

1. KDSI44

KDSI44 Member

OK.....here is the deal. I play a vox ac15 with a gibson es-335....long story short, ive been buying pedals like crazy....currently i have a klon, eternity, mosferatu, honey bee, keeley compressor, strobostomp, and just ordered bjf emerald green and sbeq....

so here is where i need help....i love the tone of the honey bee with ac15....it sounds sweet....so do i need the klon, eternity, and mos? i guess ive pretty much decided on selling the eternity and mos....because i love the honey bee so much, and i have the emerald green coming....

so i guess my question is.....where would the klon fit into the equation here? do i need it and what would its function be?

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

All very nice pedals . .. if you can afford them and your gigging status changes (like mine) I'd hold on to them, you may need them with a different configuration (amp/guitar)

I want a Honey bee.

3. JPenn

JPenn Member

Good luck ditchin' that Eternity, seems like nobody wants them !!:p

4. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Wait, you still need a Zendrive and a Timmy!!!

5. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

+1!

6. smilefan

smilefan Member

Before you ditch the E, try it with some
    more chips. I played mine with the high-gain
    chip and wasn't diggin it. Sounded great in my
    buddy Macaroni's Kingsley wet/dry rig, but not
    with my rig. Right before I sold it I popped in the
    supplied low gain chip (never had tried it before,
    forgot it was in the shipping box). Now its my
    fav OD box. Just incredible character. I like it as
    much as any cranked amp overdrive.

Dont give up on the E just yet. The gold is in there.

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

KDS what do you want t he Centuar to do ???

It has a few different uses ...

8. KDSI44

KDSI44 Member

i guess thats my question....what are its uses and how could it fit?

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

If your OD needs are met with the HB, then sell the rest. If you want some different OD tones, find the one pedal that will achieve it and then sell the rest. Did I just say all that...:confused:

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

IF you can, Id hold them all until you ge t he EGDM and SBEQ there.... the E and Mos both sound wonderful into it.. but might push the el84s funny.....

tho really if your loving the HB then EGDM > HB > SBEQ may just do you by itself

alot will depend on what sound you want to make and how many options you wan to have.....

and also what pickups you use and how hot your amp is running.....

as far as what the Centuar could do ---- Clean boost, unity tone or clean boost with treble boost/cut...either of those before or after your drives would give different results - like the C into the HB would jack it up with single coils and give deeper distortion.... or t he booster after t he HB to keep the HB sound the same but jack up the amp to work harder do some of the singing....

or using various levels of the Gain section for its own distortion ....

The Centaur was built to push an amp into overdrive distortion, or to push a distorting amp further...
    The HB was built to react like a driven amp
    so Centaur > Honey Bee gives a very complimentary stacked distortion that still feels like an amp rather than a pedal layered on a clean amp.........

the SBEQ and EGDM will have similar results but with different EQ etc.....

so start simple and build until you have what you want :YinYang

11. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Is it a JMI Vox AC15 or one of the reissue Vox AC15's?

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Where did you buy the Klon and what is the current price? I've heard something about Tone Frenzy having a better deal than direct but how do you contact them?

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Wait til you get your SBEQ. Wow. Would NEVER be without mine now.

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hi I think it was probably my comments in another thread about the Indoor Storm deal rather than buying direct from Bill. The Indoor Storm price was $319.00 plus $30.00 freight to Australia. 20% deposit required for a wait of 2-3 months.

Bill quoted me, if I remember rightly an extra $18 to process the payment via PayPal, and... freight to Australia of about $70.00 along with a "this is the method we use-no exceptions" comment! The full amount had to be paid upfront to get on the waiting list and at the time he was quoting at about 8-9 weeks.

Anyway convert this all to Aussie dollars as well and ordering direct from Bill was too expensive for me and I'd ruled out getting a Klon-until I stumbled enquired with Dave from Indoor Storm.

The differences may not be as dramatic if you were ordering from and shipping to an address from within the USA.

15. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Thanks, I looked at TF's sight and couldn't find any contact info. Anyone?

16. arexjay

arexjay Member

I say wait until you get all the pedals and then give us a good report on each one compared to each of the others.

17. Finnegan/Klon

Finnegan/Klon Member

Hi guys -
    Several things real quick:
    Yes, "realfi" is correct that Fed Ex International Economy shipping - which since late 2001 has been my default setting for shipping units to other countries - is seventy-some-odd dollars (U.S.) for a unit to Australia or elsewhere in the Far East. For years and years before that I had, with great success/reliability, used the postal service's International Parcel Post, but a month or two after 9/11, they started losing EVERYTHING I shipped with that service. Were those packages being x-rayed, gingerly transported to the far ends of airport runways, and then blown up? I never got any answers - with the postal service, there is NO accountability, as exemplified by the fact that, in missing-in-transit situations, one is not allowed to even file an inquiry with them until SIXTY DAYS have passed from the date of shipment. I am investigating the
    international Express Mail service that seems to work reasonably well for some people, and if it seems to be worth my taking a chance on it I will, but please remember that, 1) - I make no profit whatsoever on shipping my units, as I quote and charge exactly what I myself am quoted and charged, 2) - my sole interest with regard to the shipping end of things, whether domestically or internationally, is to insure to the extent possible that these ******* things I kill myself building actually get where they're supposed to go, and 3) - as with anything else, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR with shipping services.
    "realfi" is again correct that I charge for Paypal payment, and again I would like to emphasize that I do so only to recover exactly what Paypal charges me; with the several surcharges for international transactions (currency conversion, etc.) that Paypal adds on to their base rate, the percentage of the transaction total is about 4.4%; $329 for the unit, $3 for the plug for outboard power, and, say, $75 for shipping totals $407,
    and 4.4% of $407 is $17.91.
    I have no idea who Tone Frenzy are, and they have never been a dealer of mine; I'm sure they're a perfectly reputable outfit, but again they've never been a dealer of mine.
    Indoor Storm, on the other hand, has been a Centaur dealer for maybe four or five years now, and the guy I've always dealt with there, Eddie Berman, is a completely stand-up guy, and a really nice guy as well. I have no idea how many people might be on their waiting list for units - I'm sure it varies from time to time - but I can tell you that you can buy my unit from them, and I'm sure anything else they sell, with complete confidence.
    Take care,
    Bill Finnegan
    Klon

18. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Just to clarify for Bill and everyone else.

I did originally name Tonefrenzy in my post because I had been looking at their site just prior to my post and I had a bit of a brain-fade. I've since edited and corrected that. I did in fact order my Klon from Indoor Storm. Sorry for the confusion and sorry for not initially crediting Indoor Storm with their dues.

I'm not disputing Bill's reasons for his charges just merely pointing out that when converted into Australian dollars purchasing from him direct was beyond my budget. I was happy to find I could purchase from Indoor Storm more economically.

I didn't consider the cheaper freight a risk as I've had much more luck than Bill over the years with the more standard carriers. The only thing I might suggest is that it may pay to do a "dummy run" one day Bill, perhaps with something less valuable than a Klon to see if things have improved.

Very excited about getting the Klon btw!

19. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

Wow, Thats interesting about shipping through standard carriers to the far ends of the earth! I shipped a Morley Bad HOrsey Wah II about 5 weeks ago on ebay to Ireland and I dont think its there yet! It went over on a ship as well at the tune of $20+ dollars and that was the cheapo route.Would have been double for air!

As to the Klon and its uses I can tell you my use with it if that will help give you an idea. I own a couple differant amps I run together for gigs/recortding and such. A 1981 Marshall JCM800 2203 100 watt head/Bogner Uberkab/Klon Centaur. I simply set the Marshall for stock breakup and then set the Klon for "Clean Boosting" of sorts. Actually, I kick the Level to 100%, The Treble or Middle knob straight up at 12 oclock and the Gain at 9 oclock. I start at 0% with the gain and kick it in the ass a little to the 9 oclock setting. It makes my amp sound bigger and more responsive. ANy guitar I use with it becomes more dynamic and alive! A great unit. I also occasionally use my Analogman BOSS OD1 3403d chip and push/pull clipping mod pedal when I want to get my Les Paul into wet strat territory. Very much an all power tube sounds I go for once in a while. I like the Klon most of all however. I also use an Analogman TS9808 SIlver mod I like.

Oh yeah, my other amp I just got rollin which is the new Marshall 1959HW Plexi. Waiting on the bottom matching Handwired cab with G12H30s. I use a Valvedriver 12ax7 pedal for that head and bridge the channels as well as a Zvex Fuzz Factory both of which send the amp into LIQUID Overdrive territory! exceleent stuff! Especially the Valvedriver !

20. thebot

thebot Member

Bill, is there a list anywhere of approved Klon dealers? I'm in the UK and know Guiar Experience has them - are they approved? Would be helpful to know I guess for a lot of people. Or do you prefer / recommend people dealing direct?