1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did J.Mayor dump FENDER for PRS??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rich b in tempe, Jul 31, 2020.

1. sunking101

sunking101 Member

I've already explained why his stated reasoning is clearly BS. Listen to what he said....basically that he wanted an instrument that wasn't stuck in the 1950s and that Fender didn't listen to his ideas.....then look at the PRS Silver Sky after Paul had listened to Mayer's ideas. Now tell me that the PRS guitar isn't still stuck in the 50s?? It's a strat copy with vintage strat specs; ie a 7.25" radius fretboard and vintage fretwire.

He did also say that it was the beginning of the end when Mike Eldred left. Now that I understand but then why go on about not getting enough free guitars? If Mayer wants to gift guitars to his chums then sadly he'll have to pay for them out of his own pocket. If PRS offer him more money, more freebie guitars and an owner who listens to those ideas (ie ideas about more money and more freebie guitars) then it seems to me that's why JM left Fender.

His PR regarding moving to PRS should have been Mike Eldred leaving Fender and it being the right time for a change of scenery etc. Not the clearly BS excuse he put out.

Neon Trotsky likes this.
  2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I guess one man's perspective is another man's BS then.

3. ns2a

ns2a Member

I think that was Geddys reason for going from Rics to Wals.

Comanche5 likes this.
  4. sunking101

sunking101 Member

So you think the PRS Silver Sky is the result of John Mayer's design ideas finally being listened to? Does a dyed in the wool Fender guy like Mayer really get off on using a strat copy with a goofy headstock? This is all about money, freebie guitars and a possible falling out with Fender IMO.

I get that he liked his relationship with Mike Eldred but forming a new one with a different guy at Fender is surely no different than forming a new relationship with Paul Reed Smith?

Like others have said, he has enough money to commission a boutique build of any design he likes. I'll butt-out of this thread now because I don't want to keep repeating myself. Ultimately this is just my opinion and who cares why Mayer left Fender.:D

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't know. I don't own either though I do have a Warmoth partscaster strat, so I have no dog in the fight.

I wasn't part of any of those meetings or conversations and have no problem taking the guy at his word about the process. It wasn't as if he and Fender parted due to conflict. Calling someone a liar without any evidence seems odd, but as you said it is your opinion.

Paul has shown over and over a willingness to work with a variety of artists on their design ideas over the years, most with less marketability than Mayer.

El Rey and VirginiaAve like this.
  6. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Even worse ... “Sweet Caroline.” :omg

ClickClack likes this.
  7. Tiger Ted

Tiger Ted Supporting Member

I like some of Mayer's tunes. As a person he seems to be a turd. And what suits his preferences in instruments probably doesn't suit me. And I have no need to emulate him, I work with my own musical voice. I suspect his association with PRS is rooted in whatever endorsement deal he negotiated.

8. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Like the EVH brand?

interesting

9. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

He was tired of asthetically pleasing headstocks.

10. hcole

hcole Member

I heard he dumped fender because he had a problem with one and couldn't get Leo on the horn. He'll be making a thread on TGP about it any minute now.

spiral, WornFrets, delac and 2 others like this.
  11. mustard

mustard Member

I can taste the spice in that response! Is it safe to say this is news to you (fake or otherwise)? From what I see, it looks like PRS/Mayer announced the Silver Sky at almost the same time you joined Fender. Also, for whatever it's worth, the quickest and laziest google search ever pointed me to an interview in which he says "It was not going to work with Fender. They weren't gonna be able - one way or another - to bring the vision that I had to life." Something tells me he never saw YOUR work, unless the "one way or another" meant accountants (or executives) rather than luthiers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  12. Tiger Ted

Tiger Ted Supporting Member

John Mayer and vision, that's a good one.

Neon Trotsky likes this.
  13. 100JH

100JH Member

Funny. Now I see why JM quit posting here

14. axehandler

axehandler Supporting Member

I'll take one Silver Sky in "Chicken Parmesan Metallic," please! LOL...

Werepossum, VirginiaAve and spiral like this.
  15. RCM78

RCM78 Member

At the time it seemed there was a falling out between John and Fender concerning the dismissal of Mike. All this talk about wanting his own brand, design tweeks that Fender wouldn't do is all BS. John left because Mike was let go...

Werepossum likes this.
  16. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Tiger Ted Roars....ERRRRAHHHH!

stratadp and derekd like this.
  17. lgaspar35

lgaspar35 Member

I think some of it has to do with the fact that he had to talk to John Cruz and have a relationship with him instead of Mike, and John Cruz is an asshole to JM and never really made him feel welcome. Watch this interview; JC is always trying to disparage JM in one way or another, and he was acting like a creep talking about Jessica Simpson:

gerg6, WornFrets and sunking101 like this.
  18. ClickClack

ClickClack Member

WTF?!? Only 5 pages on this topic?!? Come on, TGP crowd, aren't you deeply invested and impassioned in your opinions on this gravely serious and important matter? And speaking of gravely, what's the COVID-19 death count up to today?

Werepossum and Tiger Ted like this.
  19. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

They are nice guitars when at least attempting to innovate. However, they can also sound kinda sterile if you don't find the right one. Owned a few. Don't own one now and don't feel like I'm missing out.

20. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Ya, Cruz seems like a PITA to work with. And Mayer seems a bit pampered. Not a good mix.