1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did J.Mayor dump FENDER for PRS??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rich b in tempe, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Tiger Ted

Tiger Ted Supporting Member

A-holes have a hard time tolerating each other. That's why I can't stand most of you.;)

2. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Yet, despite a quoted $70M net worth, and multiple interviews with John and Paul both claiming exactly what you said above, so many people on the internet want to say he did it for money. Some people believe what they want no matter what the evidence says. And no, this is not a new discovery for me.

Werepossum, LowVolume and derekd like this.
  3. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Not me. I would have the World Factory, Samick, Fugin, And Nick Hubbard please.;)o_O:rolleyes:

4. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Did he live by the sea?

5. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

No he dose not and thinks he dose not need one because this is TGP.

derekd likes this.
  6. sunking101

sunking101 Member

The PRS Silver Sky is the proof. All that stuff about not having his ideas listened to...what ideas? Also that stuff about him not wanting to he chained to the 50s and wanting some modern appointments....where are they on the Silver Sky? That was why I called out the BS, the PRS Silver Sky in itself calls out the BS.

The evidence is there. A strat copy with a vintage radius and vintage fretwire. Where are the modern appointments? What is it Paul Smith listened to that Fender didn't? Where are Mayer's ideas? Show me them in the PRS Silver Sky. All I'm saying is that the reasons he gave for leaving don't add up when you look at the evidence. I really don't want to keep repeating the same stuff but people keep quoting me! It's not important guys. It really isn't.

Neon Trotsky and AFW like this.
  7. ClickClack

ClickClack Member

And what dose did you ingest?

electrolyte likes this.
  8. ClickClack

ClickClack Member

But this is TGP, so all of those ranting will continue.

Neon Trotsky likes this.
  9. Royce McCutcheon

Royce McCutcheon Supporting Member

Genuinely asking, he literally used the phrase "freshen up" in the podcast clip that's been posted in this thread. Do you not see the Silver Sky as a Strat "freshened up" with modern Tesla colors, redesigned knobs, jack plate, contours, different headstock design, more "hi-fi" sounding Strat pickups etc.?

I don't think he saw himself as reinventing the wheel here, just making aesthetic and functional tweaks to something he already loved deeply.

10. Aloha Mark

Aloha Mark Member

A real bluesman would have dated Adele. "I've been downhearted, ever since the day we slept." Btw, I am ok with chubby women.

[​IMG]

Dr Bonkers likes this.
  11. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Hey, Adele has lost 7 stones and is now a babe.:eek:

[​IMG]

12. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Adele has always been a babe.

El Rey, goodkungfu, outtahear and 7 others like this.
  13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

If this were Jeopardy, the answer would be, "Too many people shooting their mouths off about **** re: which they have no personal knowledge whatsoever." And the question would be, "What is this thread?"

14. LowVolume

LowVolume Member

You can’t get an American Fender production guitar with vintage style frets and 7.25 radius after 2017 when they redesigned the American Vintage line (which was incredible btw). Doesn’t anybody else think this is weird?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    babbyb likes this.
  15. Long2Play

Long2Play Silver Supporting Member

Savage and Signature worthy..... :roll

Tiger Ted likes this.
  16. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

If you watch the video where Juan Mayor talks about the design of the SS, he never really says anything to the effect "I wanted X and I couldn't get that elsewhere", in fact when he vaguely explains why he went with the 7.25 radius, it was to make the PRS more like the vintage Fenders that felt good in his hands. He talks like a man who's been exiled from a place where he would rather be. When he talks about the curves, he's talking about making it work aesthetically, despite not being a Strat. Even reversing the head stock served to make it look more like a Strat headstock.

That's the saddest thing about all of this; if I were Jaun Mayor and I met Paul, and I wanted to collaborate with him, I'd respect Paul's ethos, and not say "Paul, I want you to make me a Fender." I realize Juan has little interest in PRS' Gibson derived designs, but there's a literal infinate number of points in between a stock PRS and a Strat to choose from, all skipped over, for a Strat copy.

Neon Trotsky and Aloha Mark like this.
  17. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Money means different things to different people. While having $70mm must be gratifying, also very intoxicating is the getting there, wondering where will it will stop. Will he make to to $100mm? This is a guy known to have a bit of an ego, and there is no score card as universal and concrete as net worth. If he were to stop right here and peak at this amount, he would have nowhere to go but down. He's a little over forty and that amount would have to last him until he's eighty, if he's fortunate enough to live to that age. I would think it more odd if he legitimately stopped thinking in terms of earnings right at this moment.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  18. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

I read an interview where EVH jped to ernie ball because the company was willing yo do the little things he wanted. Why did steve vai chose ibanez over anderson and jackson charvel. Why did guthrie govan go with suhr

19. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Sounds like a diplomatic explanation, especially if its cited a lot.

leonard d rock likes this.
  20. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Great

as in sarcasm, right ?