• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why did the Elton John biopic bomb?

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm sure @A-Bone knows better, but I think that creative accounting - which is super-prevalent - has kept the first Star Wars from ever technically making a profit.
I haven't heard that any relation to Star Wars, but the creative accounting of Hollywood is legendary, so it wouldn't surprise me. I do remember reading an account years ago describing how, due to Hollywood accounting, Tim Burton's Batman had failed to return any profit, despite a more than $400 million gross on a $35 million production budget.

In terms of the Queen members and Bohemian Rhapsody, I wonder if their agreement specified that they receive "net points." "Net points" is Hollywood speak for a bad deal -- due to the creative accounting practices.

A-Bone

Budget $40 million
Box office $180.6 million

And still playing....

Our definitions of "Bomb" are quite different.
It certainly hasn't been a home run for the studio, but it doesn't look like a money loser.

It's likely underperforming in relation to the studio projections -- based on how wide the initial release was.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't heard that any relation to Star Wars, but the creative accounting of Hollywood is legendary, so it wouldn't surprise me. I do remember reading an account years ago describing how, due to Hollywood accounting, Tim Burton's Batman had failed to return any profit, despite a more than $400 million gross on a $35 million production budget.

In terms of the Queen members and Bohemian Rhapsody, I wonder if their agreement specified that they receive "net points." "Net points" is Hollywood speak for a bad deal -- due to the creative accounting practices.
"Monkey points"

Joseph Turner White: What's an associate producer credit?

Bill Smith: It's what you give to your secretary instead of a raise.

Tidbit

Depends...

Brian May Says Queen Hasn’t “Earned a Penny” from Bohemian Rhapsody

Bohemian Rhapsody, the Queen biopic sanctioned and guided by the living members of the iconic rock band, has made $903 million worldwide since its release last November. But according to Queen guitarist Brian May, none of those band members have seen a single cent of that mind-blowing haul.

“I had to laugh, actually, the other day, because there’s a thing in the paper saying that we were getting rich off this movie,” said May, laughing (he had to!) in a recent interview with BBC Radio host Zoe Ball. “If they only knew. We had an accountant in the other day, and we still haven’t earned a penny from it. Isn’t that funny? So how successful does a movie have to be before you make money?”
That's not possible.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
That's not possible.
Oh, is that what they told you in the Associate Producer orientation meeting?

https://www.gq.com/story/spinal-tap-vs-hollywood

Spinal Tap vs. Hollywood
For years, Harry Shearer, one of the creators of the comedy classic This Is Spinal Tap, received royalty checks for the movie that could barely cover a day's supply of foil-wrapped zucchini. Now he's got the band back together (in court) to find out what happened to the rest of the money and, they hope, change the way Hollywood does business. Call it a double-decker-axe blow for artists’ rights....

...In a February motion to dismiss the case, Vivendi's lawyers claim Spinal Tap, which Shearer says cost just $2.25 million to make, has generated less than $5 million in U.S. ticket sales. But box-office receipts are only a portion of what Shearer and the others are after. Their 1982 contract says they are due 40 percent of all net receipts that emanate from the film and 50 percent of gross receipts related to the music. Since the film was released, there have been numerous VHS and DVD editions, follow-up albums, and reunion concerts, and all sorts of merchandise sold along the way. To quote the movie, Spinal Tap has become, like a cherished electric guitar, “famous for its sustain.” Yet, according to the band's filing, the four creators' supposed share of total worldwide merchandising income between 1984 and 2013 was only $81. Their share of music sales for a similar period was $98.

rwijaya

what do you mean it bomb? the budget is 40 millions and they make 175.9 millions so far. how is that bad?

Madsen

Stan Lee had to sue over the first Toby Maguire Spider-Man movie after it did well & he didn't get paid.

A-Bone

what do you mean it bomb? the budget is 40 millions and they make 175.9 millions so far. how is that bad?
I suspect, as was suggested above, the OP is comparing this film to Bohemian Rhapsody.

We're unlikely to be able to find this out in the short term, but I'd be surprised if Rocketman wasn't falling short of Paramount's projections for the film, although I don't imagine Paramount was forecasting anything like Bohemian Rhapsody's performance.

A-Bone

Stan Lee had to sue over the first Toby Maguire Spider-Man movie after it did well & he didn't get paid.
This seems to be sufficiently common that I'd expect it to be part of what the lawyers tell their clients in signing on to these kinds of properties: "If and when this is a box office success, we'll sue to get the money owed."

rwijaya

I suspect, as was suggested above, the OP is comparing this film to Bohemian Rhapsody.

We're unlikely to be able to find this out in the short term, but I'd be surprised if Rocketman wasn't falling short of Paramount's projections for the film, although I don't imagine Paramount was forecasting anything like Bohemian Rhapsody's performance.
I think it well pass the projection

"Rocketman was released alongside Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Ma, and was projected to gross $20–25 million from 3,610 theaters in its opening weekend.[27][28] The film made $9.2 million on its first day, including $1.8 million from Thursday night previews and $580,000 from 18 May paid advanced Fandango screenings, for a preview total of $2.3 million. It went on to debut to $25.7 million, finishing third"

mikebat

I really like Elton, but.....a movie based on him I believe is not a success because....he ain't dead yet.

The fact that it is a musical...that precludes me from ever watching it. That genre is simply not for me. The closest I git to liking a musical was Grease, and I was 10 years old.

Trending Topics