Why did the Elton John biopic bomb?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by newking70, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

If you keep building costs into the entire process, the gross is eaten up and the net disappears.

These numbers are not accurate and/or representative, just an exercise:

$50M intitial budget
    $200m already signed 'hard' contractual obligations - get paid no matter what
    $50m distribution costs
    $50m film reproduction costs
    $50m promo costs
    $150m future cost to convert to digital media
    $20m bribing the academy
    $150m legal fees
    $500m anticipated NET profit
    _______
    $1.22B? Someone please check my math...

$900M gross? There's no net profit yet in this project.

A-Bone likes this.
  2. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Why anyone would think a movie based on Elton John music would be interesting is beyond me. Not surprising outcome

ned7flat5, Gasp100 and xrcdan like this.
  3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Total mystery:

The albums discography of English musician, singer and songwriter Elton John consists of 30 studio albums, 4 live albums, 7 soundtrack albums, 16 compilation albums and 3 extended plays, as well as 2 other albums. John has sold more than 200 million albums worldwide.[1][2] John's biggest selling studio album is his 1973 hit album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, which sold more than 30 million copies worldwide.

tribalfusion and caffeiniac like this.
  4. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

bc no one cares about elton john.

and the Queen movie wouldve been better if they stuck with their original casting of Sacha Cohen.

54GT likes this.
  5. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

That would explain his 300 date farewell tour over five continents. All those people want to buy a ticket to show him how little they care about him.

tribalfusion, rednoise and caffeiniac like this.
  6. CowTipton

CowTipton Member

I saw it.

Entertaining movie, but not great.
    I had no idea it was a musical before going to the theater. Was expecting it to be more like a typical biopic.

I don't think it diminishes Elton John at all. He's a living legend.

tiktok likes this.
  7. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

he said farewell. everyone quit caring AFTER that :p

8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Of course, the tour hasn't ended yet, so they probably wanted to rush the movie out before everyone stopped caring.

Seriously, the idea that there's no interest in a movie about a guy who sold a ton of records, and who continues to sell a ton of concert tickets and whose life has a ton of crazy outfits and Rock God anecdotes is wacky. It's an R-rated musical, the fact that it's not doing as well as the PG-13 rated Mercury biopic isn't difficult to explain.

9. Danny D

Danny D Member

The biopic bombed because the gorgeous electric guitar was only a bit player, an afterthought, in his music.

10. utterhack

utterhack Member

TGP: hold my beer...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

A wonderful but very sad movie... the actors were great...lots of help from Brian May.....

12. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

do you really believe it costs anywhere near 150 mil to convert to digital media? that number is so far off it's not even funny. some of you other numbers are way off as well, even for a joke

13. pepedede

pepedede Member

Just waiting for the announcement of the broadway and west end productions of rocketman, seemed like it would be better as a theatre production not a movie, plus as others have said, he ain't dead yet.

Just to add please stop calling the queen movie "Bo Rap", sounds like a gangsta rapper or something.

14. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

I like Elton John's music but I've never been interested in Elton John the man. I suspect with BR, it was the fans' interest in both Queen the band as well as Freddie, the performer that drew them to the cinema in droves. Rocketman cracked the top 10 for all-time music biopics...certainly no bomb but for me personally, I had no urge to see it for the reasons stated earlier and I suspect those reasons likely hold true for many others whose high school years were spent in the 70's. Tragedy sells. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if down the road, we get a George Michael biopic.

15. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

No, not at all. That's why I wrote "These numbers are not accurate and/or representative, just an exercise". Any accountant or attorney can write in any amount they choose for the 'other' expenses. The point is, until you reach the company's expected/anticipated profit, there is no net profit.

chrisjw5 likes this.
  16. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

I was never a fan of those kin of movies...though there have been a few where the mix of dialog and song-n-dance worked. If there's a clean break between the two...but I never liked it when two people are having a serious conversation...and then suddenly one of them starts to sing their reply instead of talking.
    It doesn't always work well...and can come off rather comedic...so movies that are already comedies, often get away with the song-n-dance injections, but if it's more of a drama, it often doesn't.

17. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

My unfounded and most likely inaccurate assumption would be:

1. Too soon.
    2. Queen has endured generations of fans. From movies to sporting events, tv commercials etc. Practically everyone knows or has heard Queen. Elton John is very popular with a more specific generation of listeners and he has some rocking songs but anybody younger than than that 70s early 80s generation (40 and under) most likely only knows him by Candle In The Wind....

18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I haven't seen it, but it would be had pressed to be worse than Bohemian Rhapsody.

19. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Interesting perspective that would not have occurred to me. I’m over 50, old enough to remember that span in the 70s when nothing was bigger than Elton John!

Very short-sighted of me to think my memory applies to everyone.

Would be funny as hell to hear a stadium full of sports fans stop singing We Will Rock You... and start singing
    Laaaaah la-la-la-la-la from Crocodile Rock!

Wyatt Martin likes this.
  20. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I'm in my mid 40s and quite honestly his heyday pre-dates me, and I'm not in the slightest bit interested in seeing the movie. I only know his better material because of my interest in music. Anyone younger than me probably doesn't really know much about him and wouldn't know his songs on the radio.