Why did you take up guitar? Wanna be a rock star or maybe just make music?

Gadgitman

I have asked the few guitar players I know and a few I have met. Most seemed to have learned young because one was laying around and they where allowed or encouraged to play. Some learned in school, private lessons or church.
The real question would be 'what drives you to play?'
Fame and fortune? (Money)
Impress someone? (Sex)
Personal satisfaction? (Narcissism)
Annoying anything with ears? (Anarchist)
I started out of shear boredom, and someone gave me one I could play at work.
That was about 3-4 years ago and now I can make 80% of the sounds and tones I want.
Guitar Songs play like recordings in my head now, totally wrecked some of my old favs.
When I learned how those old simple 3 cord songs are played I changed my study's.
What a fun ride it's been! I hope to be 'learning' for as long as I am able to hold it and pick a tune.....
I did it for ME. I had fun imitating others until I could make the sound I wanted to hear when I wanted to hear it. Now I can make Music and Fish! I will Never go hungry, or without music. Call it survival of the soul...
I am set.
What started your journey?

9fingers

Supporting Member
I heard John Lee Hooker on the radio when I was 12. I didn't even know what blues was. It moved me to the core & I knew I had to get an electric guitar. It took a few more years but I never forgot that moment and finally got an electric guitar. Still at it many decades later.

Gadgitman

I heard John Lee Hooker on the radio when I was 12. I didn't even know what blues was. It moved me to the core & I knew I had to get an electric guitar. It took a few more years but I never forgot that moment and finally got an electric guitar. Still at it many decades later.
Ya thats what I mean, passion that drives you to do something, not just try.

specialidiot

most likely to seceede
Gold Supporting Member
I was in a car accident 9 years ago and suffered a very bad concussion. several months later my neurologist suggested I take up piano or guitar. At the time it seemed cheaper to go with a guitar (LOL!) so I found an instructor, we went to a store and bought one, and I've been at it nearly every day since.

Now I'm fascinated with the whole thing... It's hard to describe - it's not just the ability to work out a new lick, or to watch my wife on the dance floor digging my tunes. I'm taken with the logic/geometry of the fret board. Music theory often seems like a chore but when the light bulb goes on and I have an aha moment it's all worth it. The ritual of changing strings, tuning up, and going through scales.....

It's all very cathartic and healing to me.

gtrdave

When I was a kid I had an unusual attraction to music and songs and had a knack for remembering melodies and beats and could emulate them with my voice or could tap out the beats and drum fills with my fingers.
It wasn't until I was 12, though, when a friend's dad bought 2 cheap guitars at a yard sale and brought them home to his son. We both started to plunk around on them, but I pretty quickly started to figure things out on the guitar, which was odd since I'd never played an instrument before in my life.
Holding and playing the guitar just seemed like something that I was supposed to do. Almost 42 years later and it still feels the same.

I had no aspirations of stardom or anything. I just wanted to make music.

Oriondk

I was in an Army band when I took it up. I played trumpet in the band started in fourth grade, French horn in high school and had piano lessons for a while in sixth grade. On of the guys in band played guitar and turned me on to a John Williams album. I bought an old classical for $5 and started teaching myself. I was learning classical at first, but found out the band had an old beat up hollow body electric. We had a jazz band so I spent some time learning jazz chords and was able to play with them in a couple of months. Just chords, obviously. I wish I had lessons to start. I could read music already so some of it I picked up quickly, but I learned scales totally the wrong way. I didn’t even know it until I got out of the Army. So I had to relearn how to do them properly. There was a time when I wanted to do it professionally and did play with a jazz band in college and a blues/rock band on the side. It didn’t take me long, though, to realize I was no where near the level I neede to be at. Then life, marriage, and a daughter side tracked me. I still continued playing, but only as a hobby. I gave it up for a while and worked on piano, but went back to guitar about 17 years ago. Still play for fun. I sure wish the internet had been available when I first started. I could've progressed much further in the beginning.

GA20T

I plucked an unplayed acoustic that was lying around the house at the age of 4 or so. It not only made a sound (any sound I willed it to), but it vibrated against my body and came alive in my hands. There were dynamics and nuance at play. An extension of my brain, and another way to communicate my emotions, even if into the ether. Neat. Then I somewhat accidentally discovered overdubbing when I was recording myself with a cheapo 2-deck ghetto blaster. Composing my thoughts and capturing them for posterity. Advanced level neat. I never liked the boob tube, so I had plenty of time to sneak away with that old acoustic while everyone else was receiving their programming.

Last edited:

Spider Mark

Mid-life crisis cliche. Gave it up for 30 years then found myself in an empty house wondering where my guitar was now I got the Blues.

There was little to no live music where I live pre-Pandemic. I like the sound of an electric guitar in a room, so I have to do it myself - however badly.

I have no ambitions to form a band (did that long ago) or turn up to a Jam Night, no illusions about having enough time and talent to become a musician, let alone a star or something.

I chase tones and have fun - and learn a little, bit by bit.

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
My parents paid for me to have lessons when I was 13. To keep me out of trouble. It worked .. to a certain extent. 1970's rock and roll. I began to sing and play acoustic lead guitar ( CSNY, America, early Eagles)
Now some 50 years later, I still play for the love of music. Some of my bands had local success. I'm in a good season of playing lead and pedal steel guitar. At 63, trying to keep going as long as I can.

OM Flyer

Supporting Member
When I was 12, I took up the guitar with big dreams and stars in my eyes. I eventually accomplished enough of my ambitions to be satisfied: recorded a couple of albums, got a little regional radio play, and even had some major-label interest once. Fortunately, I was smart enough to realize that I wasn't gonna "make it" while I still had enough time to embark on a career that I fell in love with. Now I'm 60 and still making music, but mostly for my own enjoyment. I have zero regrets.

There's probably a lot of reasons...too many to list, but one reason I took up guitar was Jimi Hendrix. Hearing him on vinyl album way back and watching his Monterey Pop festival performance on TV wanted to make me get a Stratocaster guitar back in the 80's. It was a Korean Strat copy...black with a rosewood FB and black matching headstock. I always dreamed of getting a real U.S.A. Strat one day until I got my '98 American Std. which later on in years I bedazzled with rhinestones. I just like playing a Stratocaster guitar because I think it is a musical work of art and a tool for the soul.:YinYang

twotone

My motivation was kind of mixed when I started playing. My oldest brother got me interested in rock music when he listened to the radio and played records, and my second oldest brother got me interested in playing an instrument when he took up the guitar.

My second oldest brother switched to bass when a friend of his got a drum kit and they planned to form a band. The drummer had two friends who were guitarists, and when they got together the first few times I hung around and watched them. It looked like a lot of fun, and I wanted to get a guitar and amp and join in.

When I attended those first few band practices I looked at the records in the drummer's collection. He wanted to learn cover tunes, and the music on most of the albums he wanted to learn songs off of was hard rock stuff. One of the albums was Rick Derringer's All American Boy, and on the front cover Rick was holding a red Fender Stratocaster. Right then and there I knew what kind of guitar I wanted. I couldn't afford a Fender, but I got a Japanese copy that looked close enough.

The first band I played in was a lot of fun. It was just a three piece (guitar, bass, and drums) and we struggled with learning a few cover tunes and we made up a few of our own songs. I would have preferred to do original material, but the drummer wanted to play at dances and make money. He actually wasn't in it for the music - he wanted to get rich and surround himself with hot looking women.

I was never motivated by money, but as I got well into my teens there were two things that kept me going. I was in it for the girls and the gear. I thought if I became a rock star I would have a guitar collection, some great sounding amps, and impress the girls with my musical prowess. I even thought I'd meet the girl of my dreams and get married.

By the time I turned 21 the dream ended. The bands I played in went nowhere, either because of a lack of commitment or members not getting along with each other. I didn't attract any girls either. I also have health problems that would be aggravated if I had to go on the road with a band. And I knew I'd have to spend years at it to make enough money to afford a guitar collection. So I abandoned the idea of rock stardom and took up model railroading. It was less expensive than collecting guitars and I didn't have to worry about impressing other people.

But I never gave up playing guitar, and since then I've played in a few more bands along the way. I made some pocket money and had fun but I was no longer dreaming. As the years wore on I bought a bunch of guitars and a few amps and I now have a collection. A few pieces are professional quality, but it's mostly intermediate grade equipment. I now like to think of music as a hobby, something I can do for my own enjoyment and play when I'm in the mood.

rizla

Supporting Member
I just had to. There wasnt a reason I can think of.
I didnt care what instrument, just had to make sounds that worked for me.
Drove everyone around me nuts. Not one of them dingbats thought to give me something to focus that energy into.

Tony Done

My mate was selling a couple of his to get better gear, so I thought I would give it a go. It just developed from there, folk and blues in the mid-60s revival in the UK, too long ago to remember all the details. I have done a bit of gigging, but I have no real interest in performance, it is almost all about personal satisfaction.

el greco

Growing up in Sydney, my older cousin Lou took me with him to see a band with a strange name.... I thought to myself, what? Who the hell calls their band AC/DC ?
After hearing and seeing what Mal and Angus did on that small stage, I was completely hooked. I didn't understand a thing about it, but that didn't matter one bit to me.... Like a moth to a flame.

Trending Topics