Why did you take up guitar? Wanna be a rock star or maybe just make music?

darryljr23

Gold Supporting Member
I had older siblings, sister and brother that played many instruments. Mom played piano. My grandfather I never knew also played guitar. Around age 17 I got my first cheap electric and it came very naturally. My bro showed me a few things and I honestly think it is in my dna, I can play most any instrument if I put a little effort in. Also I am blessed/cursed with perfect pitch. I don’t think there was any motivation beyond just knowing that it would be something I would be able to somewhat master. Played with a high school bud and a phenomenal drummer(RIP Scot) in the early eighties had life get in the way for many years but the last 10 have brought me to playing with another guitarist and many different drummers and bassists. I sing lead about 90% of our setlist.

ZeyerGTR

I played violin for a year around fourth grade, hated it. Orchestra was too formal and strict. Then I played alto sax for a few years in junior high, and band was more fun... but there was no saxophone in Metallica. I picked up guitar at 16 because all the music I listened to was guitar-heavy and it seemed cool. Plus, girls! That didn't pan out so much, but I still love the instrument and it led to great things. Truth be told, I didn't take it very seriously the first couple of years. I don't think I even knew how to change strings for 6 months.

muzishun

I bought an acoustic when the band I was singing for (just some friends doing originals) didn't get together often enough and I wanted to work on songs in between jams. I was 27, and never played before.

Fell in love with it and through hard work and shredded fingers progressed very quickly. Got an electric a few years later (and an amp a few months after that!) and started gigging in a decent and very busy cover band only two years later. We had a great time, and I developed the ability to sing and play simultaneously, which is a very valuable skill for a guitarist that wants to be busy!

Trevordog

According to this man, there is only ONE REASON Any other reason is complete BS! Listen to the interview with him and find out. It's somewhere in the first ten minutes or so:

frijoleghost

Supporting Member
as papa said to mama in boogie chillen: "let that boy boogie woogie! it's in him, and it's got to come out!"

SoPhx

There were some musicians on my mother's side and I grew up in the late 60s/70s. I was originally attracted to bluegrass and later started listening to blues and jazz. Stringed instruments were around and I just gravitated to them. Of course, we all heard Hendrix, Cream, ABB, Jeff Beck, etc. I got the electric blues bug from cutout BB albums and those Immediate Records sessions with Clapton, Tony McPhee, Savoy Brown.

John Thigpen

In the eighth grade in 1969, a friend thought I had a good singing voice and brought his guitar to a surprise birthday party in September to accompany me on Sittin’ On The Dock Of The Bay. After that experience, I badgered my parents for a guitar for Christmas, which I got. I think it was a combination of enjoying the attention and also really enjoying music.

biter

Working on and playing guitars is my happy place, it's how I decompress and internalize stress....

TomDev

It was the 70's and it was the thing to do. You could get electric guitars and amps from the Sears catalogue. Great era for guitar music! Not a singlet regret.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Gold Supporting Member
I wanted to make music. Mostly, I just wanted to figure out how to play the stuff I had knocking around in my head. I would only learn songs to pick up something that I wanted to apply to my own music (to varying degrees of success).

Aceman893

I don't know. probably Ace Frehley with a Cherry Sunburst Less Paul. Anyway - still doing it 40 years later....

Gadgitman

I'm a big fan of all things rock/metal. One day I was bored so I picked up my acoustic that I had never played before and I started learning. That was a year and a half ago, now I play a strat.

I can't say there was anything that I really wanted to happen from playing, I just wanted to. Didn't think too much about it beyond that. It's fun, puts me in a good mood.

Maybe some day I'll join/start a band and get to play to an audiance, it's something I'd really like to do. But there was no local music opportunities before covid, so... with that in mind, it doesn't seem likely I will get too any time soon.
As long as you play to your ears enjoyment you will always have a happy audience!

Hawkmoon269

Supporting Member
I was 17 and bored and depressed, and wanted to write songs about how bored and depressed I was. I always thought it was a short term phase, but I forgot to give it up once I was no longer bored and depressed.

Bernardo G.

My first exposure to electric guitar was when I was 8 years old; Kiss, Sabbath, Priest, Maiden. And at 13, when I heard Slayer, that was it. I had to play guitar!!!

Trending Topics