• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why didn’t EVH make more music?

squeally dan

Eddie and Jimi are the reason I picked up a guitar. Love VH! I keep wishing we had more music to listen too. I wish Eddie would have made more recording. I’d love to hear an EVH instrumental album.
People always ask the question about Jimi or SRV: what could have been if they would have lived longer? Well, Eddie lived a longer life but didn’t really add much to his body of work.

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
Maybe he just had other interests.
It's always possible something he loved doing as a kid just lost it's appeal.
I've never made a living through music, but a job is a job.
If I'd have made enough money early in life to do things I really wanted to, I'd have quit my day job.

MkIIC+

Gold Supporting Member
12 studio albums, 2 live albums plus a bunch of collaborations and contributions not enough?
Eight studio albums in the first dozen or so years with many of them stone cold classics. Then a mere four albums the past thirty years and only one of them in the past twenty years. That's a pretty serious drought for a group that never really disbanded. I wouldn't profess to know all the reasons why the output was so low as time marched on but I will state that, as a band, they had precious little to say the past twenty five years. I find that a little surprising considering how groundbreaking and successful they were as a band. It definitely wasn't the lack of a willing fan base.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
I think VH's arc as a band was above average in terms of height and length. Most bands, some with extremely talented members, hardly leave the starting gate. And if you've been as big as VH was in their prime it's hard to be as inspired and sober once you're on the backside of the popularity curve.

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
So many wasted years...it's not that he didn't give the world some great music, but more that if he could have dealt with his issues a little better there could be even more. Unfortunately, he was human and had failings as we all do.
In a 40+ year career as an icon and as a professional musician? That really is very little output... In the 30 years between 1990 and 2020 they did 4 records. 'Knowledge, Balance, III and Truth, The live stuff doesn't really count. Recording a concert of old tunes you were going to play anyway isn't really adding anything.

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
I think VH's arc as a band was above average in terms of height and length. Most bands, some with extremely talented members, hardly leave the starting gate. And if you've been as big as VH was in their prime it's hard to be as inspired and sober once you're on the backside of the popularity curve.
INspired maybe, but sober? That's a cop out

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Seems very odd that people are not admitting the world (and the music the world listens to and consumes) changed drastically in the 90's and onward.
Popular music became (and still is) relatively GUITAR-LESS. I think that may have something to do with it?
Add at least a decade + of serious addiction issues, then building and running a brand, and life (and trying to stay alive).

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
Seems very odd that people are not admitting the world (and the music the world listens to and consumes) changed drastically in the 90's and onward.
Popular music became (and still is) relatively GUITAR-LESS. I think that may have something to do with it?
Add at least a decade + of serious addiction issues, then building and running a brand, and life (and trying to stay alive).
Surely that's a part of it too... making albums is simply not as profitable as it was.

Also, when you're in your 40's and 50's and you have a family, putting out an album and going on a world tour every 2 years is probably a thing you want to avoid, especially if you don't need it financially.

Combine that with band drama, substance abuse and of course, cancer, and I'd say we are lucky to have gotten what we did.

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
Boredom is not a good situation for those with addiction tendencies.

And I’m not making excuses for him at all. He sounded like an unpleasant person, especially drunk, in many of the things I’ve read about him.
Perhaps so, but enabling is enabling no matter the context.

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
Artist make art. Guitar was not popular when the band broke. They made it popular. I have not sold a thing but the desire to create never diminishes

Trending Topics