• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why didn’t EVH make more music?

revv23

Demand. for new material was really only from the fans, and then the fans bitched that the new stuff sucked.

Getting old, (I believe after the last Sammy tour Eddie wanted to go right into studio but Sammy was tired & left the band?)

Plus I imagine anyone would lose a bit of fire after literally reaching the absolute top of the mountain career wise and being comfortable financially + the temptations of leisure all added up.

Edit - Also forgot to say this but his output was nothing short of incredible. The amount of albums that band got done while being constantly on tour is insane. Then to switch your singer and go on to ever bigger commercial success? That band worked harder at making music than any of us has in our lives.

stratadp

and there were plans for a summer '19 tour reunion tour, but he was too sick to do. so that means for probably the last 2 years he has been on a decline....i mean let's cut him some slack....

Irving Azoff said the last two years Eddie couldn't play or record,

Steve Vai (IIRC, maybe it was Hagar or Mike Anthony) said he went from talking to Ed to texting only cause he couldn't talk anymore.

As far as the OP question...Vai had a thought on that...

"Why did he stop releasing music? Well, I can't say, but if I was to try to answer that question based on how my own sort of workloads have evolved through time, I might say that he kept himself busy, but other things became more interesting. And I think that he was really battling for his life. "

Last edited:

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
it's sort of sad to think about. i did hear that his decline went fast, but i didn't know about the last 2 years, just figured that his energy was probably gone.

My mom's had lung cancer for the last 3 years, and she's 83, and smoked all her life. when i talk to her she says her energy is zapped a lot of the days....
it is probably real hard on Wolf, it's hard to see your parents go in a decline with their health....

Irving Azoff said the last two years Eddie couldn't play or record,

Steve Vai said he went from talking to Ed to texting only cause he couldn't talk anymore.

As far as the OP question...Vai had a thought on that...

"Why did he stop releasing music? Well, I can't say, but if I was to try to answer that question based on how my own sort of workloads have evolved through time, I might say that he kept himself busy, but other things became more interesting. And I think that he was really battling for his life. "

stratadp

Musician magazine sadly fell into the gulf right before everything got archived online, other than library services such as Summon, but someone transcribed the text of that article (15+ pages) here:

Thanks for linking that. Hell of an interview/article.

s2y

I've said it before....VHIII would have been a great album if Hagar had been there to do vocals and melodies.
LOL, in that same thread, I think it was much more of an issue of production than Gary. It sounds like EVH wanted less outside influences. I can understand that idea, but on the flip side, a great producer can turn a gold record multiplatinum. The hits of the album were just ok. I thought it lacked the fire and excitement of previous albums. Some of which could be attributed so EVH going sober again (for the 3rd or 4th attempt). I stopped drinking for a year when I was 24 people around me probably missed the more carefree version of me.

Sencha

Odd though that they never seemed to have enough material for albums.
Lots of covers and rehashed old songs.
Yeah true. I guess in Eddie's case much of his output was riffs and parts that never made it to become full songs he felt worthy of release. He may have thought up 10,000 killer riffs but if he couldn't hang a song on them nothing comes of them.

bobcs71

Actually, the better question is why haven't each of us made more music?

I'm ready finally to record my first all-originals CD when the pandemic is addressed.
Man, we put EVH through the ringer for not doing more. Yea, he should have done a lot more. It's OK that I didn't write or record anything lately. It's OK that I haven't moved up in my career. :cool:
Yeah true. I guess in Eddie's case much of his output was riffs and parts that never made it to become full songs he felt worthy of release. He may have thought up 10,000 killer riffs but if he couldn't hang a song on them nothing comes of them.
Sounds like he knew the guitar part supported the song.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for posting this, i read it last night, forgot a lot about the article...the one thing was: MAN, IT WAS LONG!!!!
i mean when was the last time I read a magazine article that long???
wow.
baby biff allstars i still think is a funny name!!!!!

Musician magazine sadly fell into the gulf right before everything got archived online, other than library services such as Summon, but someone transcribed the text of that article (15+ pages) here:

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
what i always sort of suspected about Ed....he always seemed to downplay his abilities, but i bet he knew far more than he admitted.
the one thing that i've always thought as i've listened to all the VH stuff in the past week is he was really so musical...his sense of melody and swing were pretty deep....i think he lived and breathed music....and it came out in the stuff he played....

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for posting this, i read it last night, forgot a lot about the article...the one thing was: MAN, IT WAS LONG!!!!
i mean when was the last time I read a magazine article that long???
wow.
baby biff allstars i still think is a funny name!!!!!
You go back to the 80's and 90's music magazines through about '95, and there were lots of long articles, because people bought magazines and read them, because there was nowhere (other than the local music store) to hear about this stuff. In the post-Grunge era, there was also less to talk about with a lot of the new guys--it was the era of self-taught players who didn't come up playing covers and who didn't aspire to playing Jazz in their old age.

syzygy

...Also, when you're in your 40's and 50's and you have a family...
You'd think that people would realize that EVH was likely trying his best to be sober & clean so that he could be a parental role model that his son could look up to. It's seems like EVH succeded in this endeavor considering, from the little I've observed in various media, how Wolgang appears to adore EVH.

KRosser

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been said already.

I've heard reports from people who knew him personally that he was always recording and playing at home until his health didn't allow it. So the short answer to "why didn't he make more music?" is, he did. He just didn't release it all for public consumption.

JK1965

If Van Halen had been like the Stones, TGPers would complain about too much filler. You can't win around here. If the only thing they had ever done were the Roth-era albums, they'd be a HOF group.
Haha yeah no doubt whatsoever. If they had been pumping out the albums, all we’d be hearing is how they should have hung it up long ago because it’s not nearly as good as X or Y...... There is no winning.

I’ve every so often wondered myself why there wasn’t at least a little more output but at the end of the day it is what it is. Nothing will ever take away that experience of hearing that first album when it hit the stores in 78. There were no leaks, downloads etc. That technology was a ways off. You went to the record store and bought the album not knowing at least 90% of the tracks as the only thing you did know was what radio played leading up to a release. It was an experience. The smell of the fresh ink on the cover, and the vinyl just added to it. You got home, put it on the turntable and you played both sides in their entirety. I miss those days.

JK1965

It has to be hard to play that same kind of music decades later, IMO. He was pretty pigeonholed.

Even watching videos of him in the most recent years it’s almost like a show pony type of thing. I can’t imagine being 50-60 years old and being expected to play eruption or even wanting to play it.
Well that’s because you aren’t 50-60 lol
You may well be surprised how ya don’t stop loving the things you love by hitting a certain age number.
Yes there may be growth and expansion of ideas with the passage of time. I got into a phase where I had no interest in playing heavier, faster stuff. I went back to my roots to Really learn what I didn’t learn properly the first time around. It’s helped immensely too. Eventually I realized that I like playing heavier faster stuff as much as anything else so why not play it all?

All this said, who knows where his head was at as far as this goes? My point is don’t assume for certain that age changed what he liked or wanted to do. The beautiful thing about music is that it transcends age. When I’m on stage playing, I feel like I’m that kid again grinding it out. All those years don’t mean a thing in those moments.

Scott SG

Silver Supporting Member
i mean couldn't we ask why any artist didn't "make more music?"

Why didn't Buddy Holly make more music?
Why didn't SRV make more music?
Why didn't Glenn Fry or Leonard Cohen or Lowell George or Robert Palmer or George Harrison or Ricky Wilson or Tom Petty or Toots Hibbert or Jerry Garcia or Nick Drake or Chris Cornell or Lemmy all make more music?

i guess it is the age old question

I've said it before....VHIII would have been a great album if Hagar had been there to do vocals and melodies.
In my view that would have entailed to rewrite most of the stuff.

When I heard back then that Gary would be the new lead singer for VH I was excited as I liked the stuff he did with Extreme. Some of the tunes on their first album sounded quite VH inspired so I thought that would be a good fit. However, on VHIII he sounds like he had a cold throughout all songs. On the other hand, I just recently stumbled across a live cut of "Mean Street" and thought that he did an excellent job singing that (of course, Eddie's playing is fantastic as usual).

\Thread derail end :)

Trending Topics