• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why didn’t EVH make more music?

strike3

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but in that studio tour post there were literally box after box of 5150 studio tape, jams, etc. Ed had planned to go through and catalogue it all, not sure if he did. I'd be surprised if Wolfie doesn't break it all down sometime and put something out. I sure hope he does.

RC Mike

We all get tired, and life moves on. Who has the same goals and driving factors in life at 40+ that they had when they were 20?

What I'd like to see is some work done to piece together material and have a variety of singers put lyrics to it. That would be fun, and it would provide the variety that I think Ed always wanted to explore. They worked with so many different vocalists as sudo-auditions over the years. An example of what I'm thinking is this Mitch Malloy song.

I think we all lament that nothing came out of that period around '96-'97, when Ed seemed to have such great playing on the three tracks that did come out.

diego.fresh

Ed could play the phonebook if you asked him to. He knew every note on the fretboard and where it translated on the piano. unconventional and unorthodox but very calculated.

Soporific

Maybe but the OP has a point.

Frank Zappa released 62 albums which he also produced while alive as well as having his own record company and he died at age 52 with a vault full of recordings. This does not include his side projects.
Mark Pinske was my neighbor a couple years ago, he just passed in the last week. And he was Frank's Sound Engineer until Frank passed.

Anyhow, Frank was in a dispute with the record label over royalties or rights, etc. so him and Mark were recording everything and show they played and reassembling all the live takes into his "original" albums. Mark designed some live truck that had 140 or so in/outs they used to do a lot of the recording with, eventually renting it out to TV show productions. IIRC the court case finally went Frank's way and he got to collect something like $27M and keep his masters.

Mark was still releasing different mixes of Frank's recordings this year.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i can't remember when the Mitch Mallow stuff was happening (too lazy to look it up), but i thought his voice could have fit w/ the VH sound.....but ultimately i wonder if the fans would have accepted him or not also....
it's hard to guess.....

i agree, that it's too bad that VH and DLR couldn't have worked out their differences around the time of the 1st greatest hits package, i still think the 2 songs on there (me wise magic and can't get this stuff no more) was pure gold....i needed a whole album of that.....oh well....

We all get tired, and life moves on. Who has the same goals and driving factors in life at 40+ that they had when they were 20?

What I'd like to see is some work done to piece together material and have a variety of singers put lyrics to it. That would be fun, and it would provide the variety that I think Ed always wanted to explore. They worked with so many different vocalists as sudo-auditions over the years. An example of what I'm thinking is this Mitch Malloy song.

I think we all lament that nothing came out of that period around '96-'97, when Ed seemed to have such great playing on the three tracks that did come out.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
wow, that would have been fun to talk to your old neighbor!!!!
i always thought FZ's process was so interesting, especially when the Civilization Phase III stuff came out, mixing the synclavier stuff with his live stuff...when you think about it, had FZ lived, the possibilities were endless with all the shows that he taped!!!!!!

every artist is different in how they work. I do think that FZ found a way to work around his band problems, he just didn't have very long to utilize it.....

Mark Pinske was my neighbor a couple years ago, he just passed in the last week. And he was Frank's Sound Engineer until Frank passed.

Anyhow, Frank was in a dispute with the record label over royalties or rights, etc. so him and Mark were recording everything and show they played and reassembling all the live takes into his "original" albums. Mark designed some live truck that had 140 or so in/outs they used to do a lot of the recording with, eventually renting it out to TV show productions. IIRC the court case finally went Frank's way and he got to collect something like $27M and keep his masters.

stratadp

i still think the 2 songs on there (me wise magic and can't get this stuff no more) was pure gold....i needed a whole album of that.....oh well...
Those two really were great. I remember reading about how Me Wise Magic almost didn't make the album 'cause DLR couldn't sing it and it took a couple of weeks to get the vocal done, also allegedly they paid Sammy $35,000 for Can't Get This Stuff No More as it was written by he and Ed for Balance but didn't make it (titled Backdoor Shuffle at the time).

i mean couldn't we ask why any artist didn't "make more music?"

Why didn't Buddy Holly make more music?
Why didn't SRV make more music?
Why didn't Glenn Fry or Leonard Cohen or Lowell George or Robert Palmer or George Harrison or Ricky Wilson or Tom Petty or Toots Hibbert or Jerry Garcia or Nick Drake or Chris Cornell or Lemmy all make more music?

i guess it is the age old question
I think the answer is obvious for the first two as they died by accidents while they were still going strong musically, especially SRV having just recovered from substance addiction and after the release of "In Step". And if I remember correctly, Glenn Frey (solo records and Eagles), George Harrison (solo records and Traveling Wilburys), Tom Petty (solo records and Traveling Wilburys) and Lemmy kept making and publishing music until they died so it's not like they had a hot streak of say 15 years and then an equally long period with little visible output - rather a hotter streak and an only slightly more silent streak. Given that, EVH's streak of releases is very impressive overall, and even though VHIII IMHO is a weaker album, it does not take anything away from the artistical greatness of the previous albums.

s2y

Perhaps we should look in the mirror. What's stopping us from writing hits? Good or bad, anyone can come up with a 1, 2, or 3 chord song, maybe even incorporate good pitch and timing. If we could all write a bunch of hits, we probably wouldn't need that $2,500 per week day job and our assistants would peruse TGP for us.

Have I been critical of ADKOT and VHIII? Yep. A reality is that people don't want a crappy VH album. It would take lots of time in the studio and producers, which wouldn't even lead to many sales today given that most people don't buy music any more.

rolsen

After reading Roth's book, Sammy's, Ted Templemen's and Noel Monk's, the picture I get is Van Halen needed artistic direction and intervention from a producer and the vocalist to compose and finish songs. I'm not saying Eddie couldn't write an intro, verse, chorus, bridge etc, I'm certain he did. But, with so many years of not having an actively engaged vocalist and producer, I'd bet those vaults are filled with riffs and changes, not songs. I don't think we can hope for a miracle, that somehow these can be stitched together with enough blanks filled for some vocalist to sing atop.

If I were in Wolf's shoes and felt compelled to give the fans a little more, I wouldn't try to forcefully stitch together songs. Rather, consider a movie length or multi-part series on Eddie that features those little vignettes. Just trying to think of a meaningful way to present unfinished ideas without coming across as cheap 'leaks' of things unintended for public consumption.

Juvat

Regarding VHIII, I remember reading an interview where EVH said that there was an issue with the mixing when the CD's were made that caused the recording to sound so badly. Listen to "Fire in the Hole" on the cd and then hear it in Lethal Weapon 4? in the first few minutes of the movie. Not a fan of Gary Cherone, but no matter who they would have replaced DLR or SH with you'd piss of those fans. Sass Jordan would have been an interesting pick. EVH put out alot of great music for the 1st twenty years.

Trout66

I think the question might be better asked “why didn’t Van Halen release more music?”

It sounds like he continued making tons of music over the years.

Agree with others, by the way, that the solo and outro of Me Wise Magic is phenomenal. Otherworldly, in fact, to me.

Scanloni

Well said man, for all of his faults (which we all have) he survived addiction and if you listen to Wolfe's own words about his Dad passing he was an incredible father as well.
Perhaps being an incredible father was more important to EVH than clinging onto “rock star” status. Impossible to do both. Imo, that makes EVH even cooler.

Last edited:

lhallam

Very cool. I guess he must know Joe Travers then. I knew Joe was the vaultmeister but didn't know how well he could drum until I saw him with the ZPZ tour. Impressive.

Thanks for posting

atarilovesyou

My thoughts...what money was there to be made from a new album? We got ADKOT, and while I loved it, I doubt it sold as well as they had hoped. It certainly wasn't going to set the world on fire, and the band's popularity in the mainstream and rock in general was far less than even during the meh 2004 Sammy reunion that was the beginning of the end.

There was money in touring, though, and they did plenty of that with Roth after 07. We got one album, a live album that I refused to support because the vocals were so awful, and that's it (the band was great though).

Roth probably couldn't do much with the newer material Ed had on the go, so we got basically older tunes on that last album.

I have come to realize that as amazing as Ed is, he wasn't able to put together his ideas into the best possible songs. He needed the guys...and the guys, they needed him too. Look at VH, Sammy and Roth on their own. Good, but not GREAT. Together, they can bring the goods. Alone, just couldn't seem to make it happen.

And if the rumours were true and the 5150 lineup got back together in 19, maybe we could have got another album. Myself, I'm ok with how it turned out album wise. Let's be honest, Sammy is over 70 and as good as he is, he's just not gonna sing those songs to a level that we'd expect. Drop tuned, and digitally touched up vocals...not for me.

Had we not gotten any new music, I wouldn't have given a crap...if Ed could have lived to see his 80s, watch Wolf make his way, that would gave been good enough for me, man.

LordThurisaz

Isn't Eb technically drop tuned? Plus, there is some D standard (Spanish Fly), drop D/C# (Unchained), and even drop A (Good Enough). That drop A is weird; if memory serves, It is basically a 7 string tuning minus the low E (A-A-D-G-b-e).

Trending Topics