• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why didn’t EVH make more music?

s2y

i can't remember when the Mitch Mallow stuff was happening (too lazy to look it up), but i thought his voice could have fit w/ the VH sound.....but ultimately i wonder if the fans would have accepted him or not also....
it's hard to guess.....

i agree, that it's too bad that VH and DLR couldn't have worked out their differences around the time of the 1st greatest hits package, i still think the 2 songs on there (me wise magic and can't get this stuff no more) was pure gold....i needed a whole album of that.....oh well....
Before the greatest hits album came out. I believe Malloy said they were talking about an album and all of a sudden he saw VH on stage with DLR and that was that.

atarilovesyou

After reading Roth's book, Sammy's, Ted Templemen's and Noel Monk's, the picture I get is Van Halen needed artistic direction and intervention from a producer and the vocalist to compose and finish songs. I'm not saying Eddie couldn't write an intro, verse, chorus, bridge etc, I'm certain he did. But, with so many years of not having an actively engaged vocalist and producer, I'd bet those vaults are filled with riffs and changes, not songs. I don't think we can hope for a miracle, that somehow these can be stitched together with enough blanks filled for some vocalist to sing atop.

If I were in Wolf's shoes and felt compelled to give the fans a little more, I wouldn't try to forcefully stitch together songs. Rather, consider a movie length or multi-part series on Eddie that features those little vignettes. Just trying to think of a meaningful way to present unfinished ideas without coming across as cheap 'leaks' of things unintended for public consumption.
Those books...especially Monk's...they all smack of gossip to sell more books. I'm sure some of it is true but these autobiographies aren't completely truthful. And the ones that are tend to be boring and, no surprise, don't sell well. Which is the entire point of writing them: they don't do it to 'set the record straight'. If Sammy had a better way to make some bucks singing and touring, he would've. That's why you rarely see any Greatest Hits albums or 'memoirs' in the first 20 years...they're too busy making money! Sammy's was so full of errors it was laughable. And the book paints Ed as some kind of monster, when in reality, he was an addict who acted like an addict. Sammy himself realized this once he wised up to what addiction really does to a person. The things he wrote in there, even if they happened, should never have come to light. They were the actions of a drug addict, a flawed human being. For every Dave, Noel and Sammy book, there are thousands of other accounts from fans and musicians that say the opposite. That the brothers were tight and insular to the point of paranoia, well, show me a perfectly normal pair of rich rockstar brothers...they're human. Greed played a big part, as it does in most situations.

That Mikey got shafted and insulted over the years and kept quiet is exactly why the EVH camp considered getting him back in. He knows what his role was in that band. He never needed to write a bloody book about it, and he probably never will. That he was considered to be called back for the ill-fated 2019 tour shows that he was still respected enough by the brothers, unlike Sammy. Yet Sammy somehow gets a 'lovefest' of texts before Ed's death, and Mikey doesn't? Or maybe Mikey did reconcile, and just decided not to tell the world about it the very day Edward died? Does that not seem strange? Sammy is about Sammy. Not VH. After the 2004 tour, then that book, that was the end. Nobody deserves to be treated like **** by a drug addict, but there's a big difference between what happened when Sam left in 96 vs 04. The first, more likely an attitude and ego clash (and greed, Sammy made a lot of side cash that the brothers were no doubt envious of, and probaly felt they were entitled a portion of) The second, Sammy fed up with a drug addict...which he had every right to. But by reacting in anger rather than compassion, he sealed his VH fate.

The fact that Dave was ever reconsidered to be back in the band speaks volumes: VH hated, hated DLR for leaving the band! But in Dave's largely boring memoirs, the worst he could say was that ,without a guitar in his hands, Ed was a terrible human being. Something to that effect. Sure, Dave knew his book might hurt his chances for a reunion and may have held some gossip back. But everybody who ever worked with Dave knew he was a selfish asshole. It's unanimous. And he can be! But did that fact stop VH from getting him back in 07? No! Because as selfish and weird as he is, it was good business...amd Dave never really said anything on the level of Sammy in his book. Not publically, anyway.

And although Sammy talks about his reconciliation with Ed before he died, that dumb book he wrote ensured that when the brothers planned to call back Mikey in 2019, they didn't for Sammy. He really did burn that bridge to the ground and he knew it.

VH had way too much drama for one lifetime. We have an amazing amount of music from them, and whatever we get from here is going to be icing on an already incredible cake.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens feom here.

LordThurisaz

This and the "dead end" thread has me wondering how we haven't broken the "do not insult musicians" rule on the forum.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i was rereading some old EVH interviews, and this one:

that came out when the 2015 live album was released, when he was 60, in it he talks about the fact that he wanted to do another studio album.
and he also talks about making a 5150 amp that is like his old Marshall...i don't really follow the amp world, did this ever come out...he talks about using EL34 tubes in it? he said they might call it 5150-34?
but you read the interview, and honestly he talks very positively about the future and things he wanted to do...just wonder if life got in the way and then if things changed by late 2018....
the only thing we don't have an infinite amount of is time.

LordThurisaz

i was rereading some old EVH interviews, and this one:

that came out when the 2015 live album was released, when he was 60, in it he talks about the fact that he wanted to do another studio album.
and he also talks about making a 5150 amp that is like his old Marshall...i don't really follow the amp world, did this ever come out...he talks about using EL34 tubes in it? he said they might call it 5150-34?
but you read the interview, and honestly he talks very positively about the future and things he wanted to do...just wonder if life got in the way and then if things changed by late 2018....
the only thing we don't have an infinite amount of is time.
There is one with EL34s, but it still very much a 5150.

Trending Topics