• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why didn’t EVH make more music?

PaisleyWookie

All I know is that I’m listening to VH3 again today on Apple Music. To give EVH another shot at the album that made me stop caring about them.

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
On Facebook Sass Jordan has been sharing her experince with the Van Halen brothers when they called her over one day not too long after Sammy left the band. It has some insight into what the guys were like and going through at the time. Good read.

That said, she specifically mentions that after seeing how they (Ed in particular) created music, she was almost surprised that they were ever able to put out a complete song at all. Very all over the place. That said, perhaps some or much of that was more a result of their life situation at the time. Either way its an interesting read.

musekatcher

There's a belief, that you carry a capacity of creativity based on some limitations of your intellect and intuitive ability. Once you fully explore and develop that, you're done. Few ever tap into it, but the wildly compulsive types that are on a all-costs quest, reveal a bit of it to the rest of us, and become celebs.

For the child prodigy types, all this happens in a decade or two. So by the time they are 30, they've exhausted what they have. Some will come to peace with it, and keep performing and enjoying the performance aspect. But others, like an Eddie Van Halen, are only interested in creating, so they spend the rest of their time attempting to create, but at a fraction of before, and they know it. Some give up, some keep at it, but only go public when they think they've hit something that rates.

In EVH's case, good grief, had he stopped after Van Halen, he'd still have accomplished something no other instrumentalist has. But then, he doubled down with Van Hagar.

I know he struggled with it all, but imo, he maximized his talent and impact better than most.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I’m sure EVH recorded plenty of stuff that we’ve never heard. Maybe, none of it is complete. Perhaps, there are only fragments of ideas. Still, I’ll bet some of it could be turned into something that sounds finished. It would take a lot of work for somebody to listen to hours of recordings and find the stuff worthy of turning into something that sounds complete. Then, there would be editing and recording with various musicians to make it into something worthy of release.

I could see Wolfie taking on a project along those lines. Even if he only came up with one or two ideas that could be expanded into completed tunes or songs, something like that would be worth a listen. Perhaps, Wolf could add his own guitar playing to help fill in some gaps, have Alex record drums, bring in Michael Anthony for bass and backing vocals, DLR and/or Sammy could write lyrics and sing.
Consider how many Hendrix albums came out after his death.

Duffy Pratt

DLR himself said if you're fortunate enough to achieve fame you've got 7 years then you're done. I can't think of any artist/group who rose to VH level and lasted longer than 7 years AT THAT LEVEL.
Rolling Stones put out 21 albums from 1965 to 1989. All of them were top 5.
From 71 through 81 (after the Beatles broke up) they were all number one.

Springsteen had 17 albums since 1975. Of those, 16 were top 5, and 9 went to number one.

U2 has put out 11 albums since 1989 of which 9 are number 1.

McCartney has released 25 albums since the Beatles broke up, of which 19 were top 5, and seven were number one. Credit him with the Beatles as well (he got kind of famous there before he died), and that's another 19 albums over 7 years, with 15 number ones and two at number two. Bringing the total to 44 albums over 52 years, of which only 6 did not make the top 5, and with 22 at number one.

There are others who sold more than VH and lasted longer than 7 years, or even longer than VH - Prince, Lady Gaga, Barbra Streisand, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Bob Dylan.

DS007

The 5150 archives are rumored to contain Thousands of hours of Eddie Van Halen's playing, creating, and working parts out. Nothing has been forthcoming from the Family - but if I know Irving Azoff - He already has been working on producers and mixers - which may include Don Landee & Ted Templeton - and possibly his son Wolf - and his brother Alex who played quite a bit with his brother and may know where things are. Don Landee has said in the past that he would work with Eddie 5 or 6 days a week recording and archiving.
Great post. The idea that Eddie didn't create more music is a bit ludicrous, he was pretty much all about music. Doesn't mean we are entitled to hear every little thing, hopefully we will get to hear some and be thankful for it.

trainwrecker

Rolling Stones put out 21 albums from 1965 to 1989. All of them were top 5.
From 71 through 81 (after the Beatles broke up) they were all number one.

Springsteen had 17 albums since 1975. Of those, 16 were top 5, and 9 went to number one.

U2 has put out 11 albums since 1989 of which 9 are number 1.

McCartney has released 25 albums since the Beatles broke up, of which 19 were top 5, and seven were number one. Credit him with the Beatles as well (he got kind of famous there before he died), and that's another 19 albums over 7 years, with 15 number ones and two at number two. Bringing the total to 44 albums over 52 years, of which only 6 did not make the top 5, and with 22 at number one.

There are others who sold more than VH and lasted longer than 7 years, or even longer than VH - Prince, Lady Gaga, Barbra Streisand, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Bob Dylan.
I'm guessing you disagree with me. Seriously yea lotta artists put out work for a lot of years. After their salad years it was crap. Don't tell the Stones stuff after Some Girls wasn't anything but crap or Springsteen after Born to Run or U2 after Joshua Tree or McCartney after Band on the Run and the Beatles were popular/huge 63-70 ie 7 years. Sorry I heard a big bubble burst.

Big'Uns

On Facebook Sass Jordan has been sharing her experince with the Van Halen brothers when they called her over one day not too long after Sammy left the band. It has some insight into what the guys were like and going through at the time. Good read.

That said, she specifically mentions that after seeing how they (Ed in particular) created music, she was almost surprised that they were ever able to put out a complete song at all. Very all over the place. That said, perhaps some or much of that was more a result of their life situation at the time. Either way its an interesting read.
I just went over and checked out her posts. Very interesting. And that part about Ed randomly pulling a 7-11 burrito out of his coat pocket while crying listening to her song is hilarious.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah this:
12 studio albums, 2 live albums plus a bunch of collaborations and contributions not enough?
In their 42 years as a band, 14 albums, that’s an album every 3.5 years that’s pretty good.
The 78-84 years they were fulfilling a contract and making a living, that world really doesn’t exist anymore.... so it’s pretty hard to expect that.
I think ultimately what you have in the final 20 years is that I don’t really think Ed had a comfortable partner to work with. At one point both singers left the band, do you really trust that anymore.
I think the Roth stuff in ‘12 was probably more of a business deal, they did get an album out, but I don’t think they were the type of folks that would hang out and write stuff together.
Ed was a pretty classic introvert, after he tackled his substance abuse problems, extroverts- DLR and Sammy are hard for Introverts to be around... they drain you!
I think he made the the ‘12 album , they did tours in 07, 12, 15.... you add to that his health issues, that’s pretty good.
The other thing to realize is his 1st cancer scare was 20 years ago, to live 20 years past that is pretty amazing, your life changes, your priorities change, your energy changes.
I think he did what he wanted, he probably played with Wolf and Al, I bet it was recorded, who knows of it will ever see the light of day... and he tinkered with guitar and amp stuff... which he had always done since he started playing guitar... we wanted more music, but got what he had energy to put out.

hellbender

EVH is supreme legend in the hearts of aspiring and adoring young male guitarists of that era. Arguably for everyone else he is best represented by virtue of his guest shot lead on another's’ song. Likely VH will sell as many or more albums now as the general public seeks more information on just who these guys were.

jrockbridge

He made a to of music, he just didn’t think it was worthy of release. Much like Prince he was always recording but had very high standards on what he wanted out in the world.
My guess is that, again like Prince, it will all get released eventually.
EVH vs Prince

Ed was a multi-instrumentalist and riff composer. Prince was a vocalist, multi-instrumentalist extraordinaire, arranger, lyricist, composer and prolific song writer. It's a bit of an apple vs orange comparison.

Ed was the better guitarist. Prince was better on every other instrument including piano and drums. EVH was an elite innovator on guitar. Prince was the entire package, capable of being a one man band, composing and arranging all the music, writing all the lyrics, playing all the instruments, singing all the parts. He was constantly writing, performing and recording new materials. Few solo artists have been as prolific. He might be the most prolific singer, songwriter, solo artists of all time, if we knew all that is in those recording archives. But, enough about Prince.

Wolfie and Alex will be able to put something together, I'm sure. They might have to arrange and compose some fragments into full instrumental pieces. Does Wolf write lyrics? Maybe, DLR or Sammy would be willing to write lyrics and sing. It would be super cool if Michael Anthony was involved at some point.

If I was Wolf and EVH was my Dad, at the very least, I would find a killer solo or three, compose and arrange music around 'em and bring in some people to finish that into a full song. I'm not greedy. I'm just hoping for, at least, one posthumous EVH song.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

EVH vs Prince

Ed was a multi-instrumentalist and riff composer. Prince was a vocalist, multi-instrumentalist extraordinaire, arranger, lyricist and prolific song writer. It's a bit of an apple vs orange comparison.
1. no “VS”.
That’s lazy qnd incredibly reductive to both of their legacies.
They were both geniuses.
Why make it adversarial?
I was only pointing out how prolific they both were and how they left behind hours of unreleased material.
To make that into a “VS” argument is just trolling.

2. Not apples and oranges.
The only thing Ed didn’t write on VH songs was the lyrics, but it’s well documented that he wrote/composed/arranged the songs, played guitar, bass and keys.
Same as Prince.
Drums?
He didn’t play the drums b/c his brother did.
Prince didn’t have a sibling that played music with him.
If Prince had a brother like Alex in the band do you think he would’ve
played the drums?
Who knows?

What Prince did do, and Ed did not, was transcend his genre.
Reason?
Prince didn’t have permanent band like Ed did, so he wasn’t confined by having to serve others and their expectations,
He also had more of a musicial wanderlust that Ed did.
Plus Prince also had a massive chip on his shoulder and that drove him to prove to everyone that he could write/play/perform any kind of music and be the best at it.

Ed had a chip on his shoulder as well and that drove him to be the amazing guitarist/musician he became.
But where Prince’s chip pushed him out to confront the world and demand it‘s attention it’s clear that Ed‘s chip pushed him more inward as he was less interested in taking on the world.
Ed’s alcholism didn’t help either.

karmadave

Silver Supporting Member
I would have liked to see Ed make a solo album or contribute more on albums from other artists. However, it seems personal and health issues prevented this from happening. Guess we'll never know for sure although it will be interesting to see what is released posthumously...

jrockbridge

1. no “VS”.
That’s lazy qnd incredibly reductive to both of their legacies.
They were both geniuses.
Why make it adversarial?
I was only pointing out how prolific they both were and how they left behind hours of unreleased material.
To make that into a “VS” argument is just trolling.

2. Not apples and oranges.
The only thing Ed didn’t write on VH songs was the lyrics, but it’s well documented that he wrote/composed/arranged the songs, played guitar, bass and keys.
Same as Prince.
Drums?
He didn’t play the drums b/c his brother did.
Prince didn’t have a sibling that played music with him.
If Prince had a brother like Alex in the band do you think he would’ve
played the drums?
Who knows?

What Prince did do, and Ed did not, was transcend his genre.
Reason?
Prince didn’t have permanent band like Ed did, so he wasn’t confined by having to serve others and their expectations,
He also had more of a musicial wanderlust that Ed did.
Plus Prince also had a massive chip on his shoulder and that drove him to prove to everyone that he could write/play/perform any kind of music and be the best at it.

Ed had a chip on his shoulder as well and that drove him to be the amazing guitarist/musician he became.
But where Prince’s chip pushed him out to confront the world and demand it‘s attention it’s clear that Ed‘s chip pushed him more inward as he was less interested in taking on the world.
Ed’s alcholism didn’t help either.
No argument, just a discussion on a guitar forum. Calling it trolling is lazy.

I'm pretty sure EVH could play the drums but probably not that well. In fact, I recall reading long ago that Ed bought a drum set with paper route money when he was a kid. While Ed was out doing the paper route, Alex was playing the drum kit that Ed had purchased.

5F6-A

I get the op. Kiss put out 10 albums in their first 5 years.
Is that correct? I thought from 1974 to 1978, they did six studio albums, two live albums and four solo albums (albeit all marketed as Kiss). Also the hilarious Hanna-Barbera film.
Quite impressive, really.

zekmoe

Is that correct? I thought from 1974 to 1978, they did six studio albums, two live albums and four solo albums (albeit all marketed as Kiss). Also the hilarious Hanna-Barbera film.
Quite impressive, really.
That’s what I meant really. You have your whole life to make your first album, and a year to make your second. Some people , no matter how talented, run out of ideas. I heard but don’t really know, that the last VH album with David was built upon demos done years ago and unused. Maybe he just didn’t have more ideas or didn’t write stuff he felt came close to their early catalog.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
Consider how many Hendrix albums came out after his death.
there is a difference: Hendrix’ work was sitting in studios that were funded by the record company.
Ed’s work is sitting in his studio that is on his property, owned by him. Wolfie and Al will probably have far far more control over Ed’s work , than what the Hendrix catalog had

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
there is a difference: Hendrix’ work was sitting in studios that were funded by the record company.
Ed’s work is sitting in his studio that is on his property, owned by him. Wolfie and Al will probably have far far more control over Ed’s work , than what the Hendrix catalog had
I suspect Ed's widow has more of a say than they do.

sixty2strat

I suspect Ed's widow has more of a say than they do.
Depends on the will I'm sure she gets something but young trophy wife, no manager lawyer worth a damm would not see it all spelled out. More so with an adult child to run things and supervise the musical estate

Trending Topics