• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why didn’t EVH make more music?

KissTone

When Harper Lee would be asked why she didn’t write more novels after To Kill a Mockingbird, she said something along the lines of maybe only having one book to write . . .

Maybe that was the case with Eddie? We only have so much to give. Some have more; some have less.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
I'm guessing you disagree with me. Seriously yea lotta artists put out work for a lot of years. After their salad years it was crap. Don't tell the Stones stuff after Some Girls wasn't anything but crap or Springsteen after Born to Run or U2 after Joshua Tree or McCartney after Band on the Run and the Beatles were popular/huge 63-70 ie 7 years. Sorry I heard a big bubble burst.
Well, on Springsteen I will disagree. My favorite record of his is "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and that followed BTR. "The River" was great, "Nebraska" was great, "Born in the USA" was great. I think he fell off after "Tunnel of Love" but there were albums far later that were excellent as well, like "The Rising," etc.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
Crossing over that was finished as bonus on Balance, was done by Ed in ‘83, he did everything: bass, guitar, drums...
Sam liked the song when he heard it in ‘85, but it was written about a friend of Ed’s who committed suicide, then finished for balance, Ed gave in.
I think Ed could play anything, just like Prince....

1. no “VS”.
That’s lazy qnd incredibly reductive to both of their legacies.
They were both geniuses.
Why make it adversarial?
I was only pointing out how prolific they both were and how they left behind hours of unreleased material.
To make that into a “VS” argument is just trolling.

2. Not apples and oranges.
The only thing Ed didn’t write on VH songs was the lyrics, but it’s well documented that he wrote/composed/arranged the songs, played guitar, bass and keys.
Same as Prince.
Drums?
He didn’t play the drums b/c his brother did.
Prince didn’t have a sibling that played music with him.
If Prince had a brother like Alex in the band do you think he would’ve
played the drums?
Who knows?

What Prince did do, and Ed did not, was transcend his genre.
Reason?
Prince didn’t have permanent band like Ed did, so he wasn’t confined by having to serve others and their expectations,
He also had more of a musicial wanderlust that Ed did.
Plus Prince also had a massive chip on his shoulder and that drove him to prove to everyone that he could write/play/perform any kind of music and be the best at it.

Ed had a chip on his shoulder as well and that drove him to be the amazing guitarist/musician he became.
But where Prince’s chip pushed him out to confront the world and demand it‘s attention it’s clear that Ed‘s chip pushed him more inward as he was less interested in taking on the world.
Ed’s alcholism didn’t help either.

sixty2strat

Not a VH fan or experts but it seems from what I've read it was always Ed n Al vs the world. As Al is not the EVH of drummers, it's not like Jeff Beck or Blackmore will be banging on his door to gig. I wonder how much if any the idea that doing an Eddie album would be like abandoning Alex and leaving him with no gig . Was he hamstrung by filial loyalty, Seems he was shy too, was Alex a emotional crutch as well, a person whose support gave him security.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
That’s what I meant really. You have your whole life to make your first album, and a year to make your second. Some people , no matter how talented, run out of ideas. I heard but don’t really know, that the last VH album with David was built upon demos done years ago and unused. Maybe he just didn’t have more ideas or didn’t write stuff he felt came close to their early catalog.
I think maybe they all wanted an old school style VH album and since they had actual, old material, they used it.

johnsav

When Harper Lee would be asked why she didn’t write more novels after To Kill a Mockingbird, she said something along the lines of maybe only having one book to write . . .

Maybe that was the case with Eddie? We only have so much to give. Some have more; some have less.
Then she wrote another book.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I don't see why he couldn't have spliced these tapes all together end to end and made the WORLD'S LONGEST ALBUM! :eeks Wouldn't that be utterly amazing!????! Leave every take, every commentary, every mistake in place so it's totally real! :love: The tapes are still there, it can be done if someone wants to :red

Jump to 2:20 to see the piles of tapes he recorded .... hours and hours of music just waiting to be harvested.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I just wonder if a lot of motivation to work goes away when you really, really don't need to work. For some people, that's surely the case.

jrockbridge

Let’s just say he was no

That dude puts out albums per day.
True. Buckethead has been extremely prolific in recording. And, he's a monster player, with mad, fast chops and a wide interest in a variety of styles, including some slow, thoughtful compositions. But, much of his recording of his material is do-it-yourself production value.

With EVH there's an expectation regarding the recording and production quality of the material.

primemover12

I really wonder if we'll hear much more. Ed always suggested that there was a ton of music being recorded at 5150; but if you read Sam's book, he suggests that there's very little left that they didn't use and that constant drug and alcohol use plus a kind of amateur studio setup limited what they could get done there. I finished reading that book with the impression that Ed was pretty unwell from the late 90s on and that there would probably not be much new music. Even A Different Kind of Truth was supposedly about half old VH demos redone.

SteveO

My prediction (based on what I have read in a few books about the band) is that Alex will want to release any old material that can make some money, but Wolfgang will prevent him from going full Janie Hendrix.

Trending Topics