Why do analog pedals cost SOOOO much?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rockon1, Sep 13, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im looking a Maxon AD9............300$!!! Why? I dont get it You think "outdated" technology would cost LESS! Id like to have one but I cant see spending that much for what amounts to an Ibanez pedal that I could have bought for 50$ when they first came out.OK I feel a little better now.....still dont get it.

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Why does a real calculator cost so much more than an electronic one? j/k I think abacusi are pretty cheap these days...

But here are a couple of reasons:

A: They sound warmer and more organic
    B: They rely on out-of-production chips- the less chips there are, the less pedals can be made= they get more expensive.

The long-running models are the ones that use the chips that are getting hard to find. This is why the Deluxe Memory Man had a price jump this summer (I believe the Maxon ones went up some, too). Soon they won't be selling any more and the ones that were made will be even more valuable on the used market.

If you want one at all, I'd snap it up now (there have been a couple of $150-200 Deluxe Memory Men available on the Emporium this week).

There will still be analog delays, but they will not use the same chips. The Diamond Memory Lane uses a different chip and the design is totally different. I can tell you that it is very expensive (and purpotedly great)...

I cannot speculate as to whether there will one day be new analog delay units that use chips that are not as hard to find that are not super-expensive. However, even when they do come, I'll be glad that I already have a Deluxe Memory Man!

3. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

+1 to the above, with the addition of fickle/niche taste and market demand.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

+1 specifically regarding the fickle/niche taste and market demand.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK I understand they sound warmer but that obviously has nothing to do with price.So the 'chips' are the exspensive part? Bummer...Im going to have to stick with my cheap digital Ibanez pedal.

6. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Analog delays are going to cost a lot because of the chips. Even digital delay chips can cost significantly more than an opamp.

Your best bet is an analog sim delay like the Guyatone or BYOC stuff. The Dan Echo does okay in a pinch as well.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Somebody here was talking briefly about the Guyatone FLIP TD-X delay. It's digital, but also has a preamp tube in it to warm it up. The thread was about a FLIP tremolo pedal, which the guy who had both said he liked a lot more than the delay, but those are two completely different effects and it's a subjective call.... so that might work out well for you. However, it is $240.

So, from the Emporium:

$195 Maxon AD-9
    $185 Maxon AD80
    $120 AD-9
    $150 Keeley-modded AD-9
    $159 AD-9
    $170 Deluxe Memory Man (It's a weird pedal, but sounds great, that's what I use, if you've got room for it, it's highly recommended!)
    $185 Deluxe Memory Man

I don't think you could reasonably expect to find much better deals than several of these (I can't speak to the AD-9, but the DMM is a great unit!)...

8. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

supply and demand.....

Econ 101:JAM

9. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Maxon AD9s are out of production now, just a few left :(

I tried to buy some MN3205 chips (used in AD9, DM3, etc) but the ones I bought from Hong Kong were counterfeit. there are NO MORE chips left :(

10. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

why dont they make more chips?

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I believe the chips that were used for these particular analog delays were mass production and wound up in all sorts of products. Like tubes, 20 years later the only products still using the chips are weird pieces of guitar equipment.

So, you lop off the vast majority of the world for who would even be interested in a product that uses the chip, save for guitar players. Then lop off all of the beginner/cheap/non-researching/digitally-satisfied players who are happy with digital delays and all those who don't use a delay, period. You are left with a very small market for the end product- now try and imagine what a producer of chips thinks about that... they are used to producing a LARGE amount of units (and did for years), they have been out of production for a while. I imagine the factories either closed or switched to producing a product that they can sell a lot more of. On top of that, there are other chips (apparently) that Diamond Memory Lane and EchoCzar use, the top end of this market we are left with will gravitate towards these high end units or a Fulltone Tube Tape Echo. Even worse, a lot of us like older units, which don't make anybody any money.

12. EddieEzzborne

EddieEzzborne Member

One word: mojo.

:D

But seriously, it all depends on the effect. The Dano Fab Distortion is analog, and costs $15. FoxRox analog fx can cost close to $400. Depends on where it's built, what quality parts they use, and of course, perceived mojo.

13. walpow

walpow Guest

Just for the record, I was "the guy," and what I said was, "I'm not quite as crazy about it as I am about the trem - probably because I use tremolo more than echo/delay." It's kind of, I really like the echo/delay, but I really really like the tremelo.

By the way, I think if you look around you can get the TD-X for a lot less than the regular selling price. I got mine for $175 shipped via the Make An Offer option on eBay.

Nathan

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

The demand is not enough to cover the tooling/manufacturing costs.

15. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Consider the Jacques Prisoner. I found mine for $200 shipped. Analog delay + modulation in a small package. A quiet, warm little unit with the only caveat being that I have found the control of the modulation to be a bit compromized. My experience has bee that the pots used do not allow for much control of the modulation, it is either a bit too dry or a bit too much. Oh, and aesthetically, it is not one of the most beautiful girls on the board to my eyes. Kind of like a moped. A lot of fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your freinds to see you on one.

16. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Old world technology requires time travel to make properly. That means you need a time tunnel or a Tardis and they are expensive. The cost of analog devices is just a reflection of that cost being passed on to the consumer. A few more trips and the doctor and I will have the triode tube delay pedal finished, it will sound better than that Fuller TTE bollocks.

17. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Is it too early to get on the list for the triode tube delay. I want to be sure that I get on before markom!;)

18. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i pay more for the cool blue LED's ;-P