• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why do arena-touring bands still take PA gear along?

Jeff Michael

Why not just get the stage sound right and tie it straight in to the stadium sound system? It's not like stadiums are still using the old WWII surplus rigs--last couple of times I was at a ball park I was impressed with the sound, to tell you the truth. So why drag around all that weight?

JAM

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Those sound systems are not even CLOSE to adequate to pump all that sound to all that people.

m1911

I'm actually impressed by any Band that carries all their own stuff. It shows that they give-a-**** about their Sound....Volume & Tone...
So now I'm wondering....I went to one of The Eagles Farewell Tours...( probably number 59 :rolleyes: )
Anyway, I was at the New Boston Garden several years ago, and I simply figured Any/Every Arena supplied the Huge PA Systems....
I've heard that Brad Paisley has 9 18 Wheelers and a fleet of Luxury Buses that go to every show.
Maybe their is some nice PA Gear in those Trucks?

jcarpenter

Silver Supporting Member
Perhaps it's consistancy. Plus if you are famous enough, your not the one that has to set up and/or break it down.

taez555

You wanna really get freaked out.... remember most pros RENT the PA gear they bring on the road.

As for the G.D. pic, you gotta remember all the speakers above their heads they aren't hearing. It's all going in the audience only.

guitfiddle

Yeah, lots of them have it in their rider that the local sound company shows up and does the sound, so they only have to take instruments.

speakerjones

In-house arena systems are nowhere near powerful enough and do not have the fidelity of a concert touring system. They are designed to get announcements over crowd noise and play the occasional jock jam.

Carrying your own system offers some consistency of sound from show to show. Not every sound system is available in every part of the country with the numbers needed to cover an arena. Having a system that the crew is used to, and knows how to rig and tune, makes the daily set-up and sound check routine far easier. Keep in mind that with very few exceptions, the bands do not own these systems, but contract with a large sound provider for the duration of a tour.

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
Arena rock tour headliners always have the sound subcontracted, usually to Claire Bros Audio( Lititz, Pa) or Showco ( Texas ). Those two did roughly 90+% of the tours in the heyday '70's.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom