why do certain boutique amps take such BIG hits on the used market?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Mar 20, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I just don't get it...
    I see Bruno UG30's in mint condition w/ reverb and all selling for $1500-2000... less for non-reverb models. New they cost $2850 for a reverb head. Also, two rocks. About $5000 for a new head, and you can get one for $3500 on the emporium in mint shape. Same w/ some other amps. Why is this?! It pains me to see this sometimes. From a buyers stand point it's GREAT, but the sellers just get raped on the resale value.

thoughts?

2. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

That`s why you should buy used. It requires patience though, to find the amp you want,but it`s always worth it. Because you don`t take the hit when you end up selling it.

3. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

Supply and demand. Also, Bruno gives you no transfer of warranty if you buy it used. Two Rocks are real expensive to start so maybe that explains it.
    I take the risk and buy used. I bought my Mad Professor a few years back for 3500. Sometimes you make dough buying used.

4. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

availability? There are lots of TR CR sigs around. The boutique market is practically flooded with them. Same with the UG 30 I'd guess. Also, some people buy gear to try it. They don't fall in love, and sell. Just some guesses.

Good news.. like you said, is that you can get them used at a good bargain. You can try it and sell it for the same price practically.

5. doublee

doublee Member

Maybe its because people get hip to the fact (oops opinion) that they dont sound that much better than the Fender/Marshall they emulate at alot more money? Just a thought,

6. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
  7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

And don't forget that we log in here and read each other's posts and assume everyone is like us. But I guarantee there are many (most?)musicians who are happy with Marshall/Fender/MesaBoogie and won't part serious coin for some weird amp.

8. starjag

starjag Member

I do not think the hit is bigger than non-boutique amps. Most mint and near mint amps in current production take a 60-70% hit on the emporium. Some people that need money fast might sell them for less, but that is not the norm. The perceived difference might be larger due to the $$$ values (I still cannot afford a $3K Komet even at 60% of the original price), but the per cent difference is about the same.

9. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

I don't think it should be surprising. Amps (generally speaking) are not investments. Those companies you mentioned keep making new ones. Train Wrecks would be in the same boat if Ken Fischer was still making more of them.

10. snoggin

snoggin Member

The amps I have bought new by /13 I have only lost between10-15% on actually. Now another brand that starts with c I am keeping if I have to unload it at the price peopl want to pay fo rit. I'd just as soon keep it ya know . Its a nce amp I just dont use it . It makes a great side table and costs less than the kind of side table my wife likes

11. snoggin

snoggin Member

Obviously I stay far away from day trading

12. soldano16

soldano16 Member

No way. You don't see $3K amps at than $1K. But there is great value in used.

To me, used amps are an incredible bargain. The Germino Classic 45 that I have in the mail was $1,250 off of eBay when a new one is $2,100, a savings of 40%.

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

And you know, used should be around 65% of new for a good condition unit. New is new and used is used - unless you're talkin' a Klon Centaur.

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

all great points, in regards to why boutique amps seem to take such a hit, guys. That said, why is it that certain companies take larger hits than others in the second hand boutique amp market? Prime example is Komet. their amps seem to retain their value quite well. Concorde, for example, is $3850 brand new, but I've seen them sell, on average, for $3300 used- some being less, some being more. That's virtually nothing, in comparisson to other high $$$ amps. The other Komets, too. Also, the /13's don't seem to get hit that bad... why is that?

15. starjag

starjag Member

$3K * 0.60-0.70 = $1.8-2.1K... NOT $1K

$2.1 * 0.60 = $1.26

... so you payed a bit below 60% of the original price, which was my initial estimate :)

16. es125luv

es125luv Member

I personally hate it. I have been trying to sell a $2500 Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse Head (a.k.a. THE SUPER REVERB ON STEROIDS" with a $400 custom fit road case for $1500, and can't get ANY BITES.

Bottom line, I have gone through a million amps based on recommendations from TGP folks, some amps are great for some, some not. Most here understand this journey...

but many ebay buyers do not.

That is all about the "best deal in town"........

I cannot say enough about my super-positive BUYING and SELLING transactions here with TGP people. I have left ebay for good. I prefer selling something to an educated buyer who knows what this stuff is, and costs to buy and try...

17. Sam Cannon

Sam Cannon Member

let's see, amplifiers or food?...............................amplifiers:RoCkIn

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

The market is also getting flooded with gear and guitars people would normally never have dreamed of selling due to these hard times.

Really nice classic stuff going for comparatively reasonable prices.

I think certain brands just hold their value better due to consistent quality
    and that "star" reputation.

19. soldano16

soldano16 Member

But you said 60-70% off of cost, not 60% of cost. - not the same thing. :~)

20. slipslick

slipslick Member

Basic economics. Supply and demand. (Perceived) desirability X supply = resale value.