why do certain guitars hold tuning better?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by quadrogong, Feb 26, 2015.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

I play stock Gibson LP's and SG's and find that this one SG with a fatter neck seem to hold tuning a little better,
    My others all slip,no matter who sets it up,strings it up..
    I'm stringing the guitars up properly w a good amount of wrap, I stretch the strings a whole bunch, but I find that my other three Gibsons constantly need to be tuned, except this one SG RI with a really fat neck.
    I was wondering if new tuners would help,

Does a thicker neck help with tuning stability?
    I have a preference for slim necks.
    Are the slim necks likely to be the cause of this issue?

I'm at the point now where I need things to be slick and professional onstage, staying in tune is the number one priority.

I have a rather aggressive, expressive style of lead guitar, I like to bend the hell out of strings,and I use lighter strings too..009's

It's probably the light strings,thin necks and my aggressive style that adds up to a recipe for disaster,
    Any tips for helping my stock Gibsons hold a tuning better?

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Tuning issues almost always originate at the nut. The thickness of the neck is not really a factor. Looks like you found a Gibson with a well-cut nut (which is pretty uncommon).

3. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Light strings and thin necks probably don't help tuning stability but the other thing may be that some necks are more prone to changing with temperature and humidity.
    If you are picking up a cold guitar with a thin neck, it will warm up as you play a little quicker that a fat neck and effect overall pitch more obviously.

4. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

It seems like thicker necks are more stable and require adjustments less often than thin necks. However, as treeofpain said, the nut is the real villain 90 percent of the time.

5. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Agreed. The nut slots are overlooked very often. And to echo another zztomato, the temp/humidity is massively part of the equation. Assuming your nut is cut perfectly, leaving your guitar out in the room for a couple days where there is a bit of temp and/or humidity fluctuation can certainly impact tuning. In those cases however, I've seen the entire guitar go up or down in tuning rather than one or two strings going out. So technically the guitar is in tune with itself, but not to 440.

6. custom53

custom53 Member

None of my Floyd Rose guitars ever have a problem. Some of my "non Floyd" guitars do. Les Paul's have always been notorious for me anyway. And my Rickenbacker seems to go out a lot too.

7. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Fender style stay in tune better than Gibson style.....generally speaking. A true Gibson has such a spread of the strings after the nut that it is a true art to wallow the slot properly so the string does not bind. Straight run slots with the proper nut work and a hardtail will be the most stable. Any trem style will be more of a challenge. But as someone here already said...it is the nut!

8. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

locking nut by any chance?

9. mxvin

mxvin Member

solid hardware
    secure hardware
    good tunning machines
    well maintained guitar

10. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I don't know but my 1979 LP can go forever without touching the keys. Amazing really.

11. budglo58

budglo58 Member

My experience with Gibsons is the nut binds like crazy on alot of the new guitars , but as the guitar ages a bit the slots get a little worn and the tuning is pretty solid. My 2012 335 is rock solid, but when it was new it was a painn in the keyster to keep tuned.

12. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

perhaps I need to take my two main players to a really good setup man here in NY and explain the issues, see if the nut can be replaced or adjusted,the tuners looked at, perhaps it's an intonation issue too, I need everything looked at.

I can't have these problems anymore, it's just unacceptable now.
    I would do almost anything to fix the issue,even install a Floyd Rose or locking nut system.. I have to stay in tune..

13. straycat113

straycat113 Member

If you are in NYC take them to Mat Brewster of 30th Street Guitars! Mat will solve your problems as he is one of the best -period!