Why do great guitarists play country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

padavis

Country is awesome. Listen to Ray Flacke lightin' it up with Ricky Skaggs and tell me thats not artistic!
Sure, some of country is really hokey, but some is real. Its just like anything else and Blanket beat me to it, really good music can transcend genres. I am going to guess what you really don't get is, modern, Top 40-country radio tunes.

johnnykap

What music do you listen to and who are your guitar heroes? And what kind of music do you play? I am just curious.

I've got a crush on Holdsworth, and a few others. But I'd put him at the top of any list. I play hard rock, some would call it progressive.

Again, yes, Brad Paisley is great, but who can sit there and listen to him?

johnnykap

Country is awesome. Listen to Ray Flacke lightin' it up with Ricky Skaggs and tell me thats not artistic!
Sure, some of country is really hokey, but some is real. Its just like anything else and Blanket beat me to it, really good music can transcend genres. I am going to guess what you really don't get is, modern, Top 40-country radio tunes.

I unfortunately saw Ricky Skaggs at the grand ole opry maybe 2 or 3 years ago. No idea if Ray Flacke was playing with him that night, but it was garbage. That's not to say Skaggs is not a good musician, I'm merely stating unequivocally, and without reservation, that his music is garbage.

Tinman

Okay, they don't get it. Someone go ahead and explain it to these guys. I don't explain things very well, otherwise I'd do it.

GreenKnight18

I would like to post on this thread before the OP gets banned for trolling (and pushing the AMAZING TONESTYLER.)

padavis

I unfortunately saw Ricky Skaggs at the grand ole opry maybe 2 or 3 years ago. No idea if Ray Flacke was playing with him that night, but it was garbage. That's not to say Skaggs is not a good musician, I'm merely stating unequivocally, and without reservation, that his music is garbage.

Wow, why did you even go to the Grand Ole Opry then? If you think that Skaggs' music is completely garbage, what on earth did you like at the Opry?

johnnykap

I was making an ironic point. :bonk
But you were correct. What's the first scale a new guitarist learns? The blues scale. Anyone can jam to it. If anyone can do it, that tells you there is minimal skill involved. Ergo, it is simplistic.

That's not to say you can't enjoy it.

chucke99

Well, I think we're probably being trolled on this one, but I'll keep going. What the heck, it's a boring Wednesday afternoon.

I'd say that a lot of Holdsworth is unlistenable too, even though I respect him as a guitarist. Diff'rent strokes, as they say.

germs

several reasons:

1. good musicians are better rewarded in country music.

2. it's popular music at it's finest and lowest common denominator.

3. you don't have to be a certain age or weight to get up on stage - OR to be considered "good."

4. rock music is not about who you know, but about who you blow.

5. sure, i could play metal to the 6 people not in the band, in a dive bar on a Tuesday...but i'd rather not.

6. i like nice, shiny toys. country pays better.

johnnykap

Wow, why did you even go to the Grand Ole Opry then? If you think that Skaggs' music is completely garbage, what on earth did you like at the Opry?

That guy Little Dicky something-or-other. He was hilarious.

What can I say? I was in Nashville and it's one of those iconic things you check out. Having checked it out, I can state it was garbage.

chucke99

But you were correct. What's the first scale a new guitarist learns? The blues scale. Anyone can jam to it. If anyone can do it, that tells you there is minimal skill involved. Ergo, it is simplistic.

That's not to say you can't enjoy it.

Right. Look up some Joe Bonamassa on YouTube and report back, please. Also, reference a certain guitarist, last name Hendrix, who played a lot of blues.

At least I no longer think you're trolling. I think you do believe what you're saying, but I think you're inexperienced.

I'm going to try to guess your age. Probability you're under 25 is 95%. Probability you're under 20 and have been playing guitar for less than three years is 85%.

Furrymonki

Gold Supporting Member
I can understand the unwashed masses enjoying country music, as it is geared to their sensabilities.

But a musician? Pshaww....

And the poster is also correct about blues.

I'm sorry, but to bash any form of music is unbelievably ignorant. If you don't understand that, then you shouldn't be here. If you do, then you really shouldn't be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom