Why do GREENBACKS seem to work with so many amps?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I checked out a friend's greenback loaded Marshall 412 and another boutique 412 he had with Greenbacks and each sounded terrific with all of his heads and both my Bogner and 2011 Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Sounded so amazing I decided to go through with my plan of having a smaller, lighter 412 built (28x28x13 - 75 lbs) for 4 Greenbacks. This might be my ultimate cab. :)

So far the Celestion I find best with my amps are V30s, CL80s and Greenbacks. Not big on the G12H-30s.

Miles

They work well because they have a strong, rich midrange and mellowed presence. So, you can let high frequencies breathe a tad while the greenies keep the highs from getting picky.

dughaze

I've tried the WGS Green Berets in a closed back Avatar 2x12 cab and though they sounded really good with clean, gritty, and low gain stuff they just would not hold up in the low end with medium to high gain crunch - the low end would get flubby. It's hard to imagine that Greenbacks would work well with a Rectifier in the higher gain settings.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried the WGS Green Berets in a closed back Avatar 2x12 cab and though they sounded really good with clean, gritty, and low gain stuff they just would not hold up in the low end with medium to high gain crunch - the low end would get flubby. It's hard to imagine that Greenbacks would work well with a Rectifier in the higher gain settings.
When I run a Rectifier through Greenbacks, I don't use it for metal madness. I get some of the best classic rock tones I have ever had with my Rectifier through a Greenback loaded cab.

A good buddy of mine is in a band that plays a lot of covers from classic rock to VH to GnR to Tool, etc and the Greenback cab works for so much.

Again, the only metal I will do once in a while is maybe some old Iron Maiden or Metallica, maybe kick out some Godsmack or something, LOL.
With something like that, i make due. :)

Coldacre

gotta admit I was surprised that Greenbacks sounded so good in an AC15. so good in fact, I wouldn't even swap it out for a Celestion Blue

panhead5

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not sure I'd have a cab built .I'd buy the cabinet I liked the best with the greenbacks in it .It's really not just the speakers .

somedude

G12M-25s sound like rock and roll.

Doesn't really matter what amp you plug into them as that is the sound they produce.

As for the Recto, if you unplug it from a Recto 4x12 and plug it into a Greenback loaded 4x12 it looses the ultra aggressive edge and sounds more like a modded Marshall.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't really matter what amp you plug into them as that is the sound they produce.

As for the Recto, if you unplug it from a Recto 4x12 and plug it into a Greenback loaded 4x12 it looses the ultra aggressive edge and sounds more like a modded Marshall.
Yep, I decided maybe for now against the 412 due to weight and room in my trunk, LOL...

Might stick with my three 212 cabs, Two with Scumback M75/J75 mix and one with the M75/H75 mix which will get more aggressive.

silentbob

Getting away from the oversized cab changes the sound dramatically. I love my H&K cab with my recto.

studiodunn

Platinum Supporting Member
Early breakup, smooth mid-range, a touch of honk. They tend to eliminate the need for allot of tone stack tweaking IMO.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
i've got a pair in an old fender pro reverb, where they add chime, mids, and crunch to the scooped blackface thing.

perfect for that amp, which is not as clean as a twin, but (with the bassman transformer i put in it) stronger than a bandmaster or whatever.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I was told years ago that Greenbacks were for classic rock and not much else. Then I found out my buddy, a great local guitarist used his old Marshall with Greenbacks for everything, his cover bands which are both classic and modern and also with his gothic metal band. All Greenbacks and so sweet!

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I just recently tried one in an old Ampeg Jet and it didn't float my boat. I felt it rolled off too much of the highs and accentuated the already prominent mids. Not bad, just not what I was going for in that amp. Still a great speaker for lots of applications.

Trending Topics