Why Do Guitarists Sell Their Best Guitars Ever Owned?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Reverend Paul, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Reverend Paul

Reverend Paul Member

While guitar shopping, as I do this time every year as my tax return comes in. I have noticed in the description, the seller says its the best guitar he/she has ever played. I dont know about you but I dont sell my guitars if they happen to be the best guitar I ever played. Yes I understand life happens and we need to get rid of things we wish we wouldn't have to. Its just that after looking at hundreds of guitars I would say about half the descriptions say something along these lines.
    Here is an example.

"This listing is for a beautiful Wine Red with Gold Hardware Gibson Les Paul Studio. It is 20 years old but does not look it. The Gold hardware is almost flawless which is quite a rarity on these guitars. The Tweed case is a high level case with (looks almost new) 2 keys and fits the guitar PERFECTLY. My Luthier did a string change and setup and Called this Guitar a 5% er...meaning that it plays and sounds better than 95 % of the USA Gibson Studio guitars made. He said the pickups were some of the best he has ever heard in any Gibson ever. I sell a lot of guitars here (on eBay) and I have every single one setup by him and he has NEVER said anything like this before........This Guitar is something special......FACT. So special that I am accepting returns because this guitar will not get returned........ There is one or two small bumps.....but the guitar presents very very nice and as I said the hardware is almost amazing.......This Guitar has NO REGRETS..... If you want a USA made Gibson that plays and sounds like a Custom Shop this is the one you want......"

I can be naive sometimes so I need to just assume these are just sale pitches right?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Daren Anderson, Lution, BSG and 6 others like this.
  2. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

Because they've been playing acoustic more lately, and a guitar this good should be played :)

Edit: I also love "my loss is your gain". I will generally walk away from ads that include that.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Member

Because they want you to buy it.

4. budglo58

budglo58 Member

It’s their best guitar until it isn’t . GAS takes over and something else takes its place.

5. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Member

Dunno, I wouldn't always read it as a scam. My best guitars are not my number 1, purely out of preference and history with the said number 1.
    Both of my other electrics are arguably better guitars from a construction and tonal standpoint, but my number one is my first and greatest love warts and all.

Patrick

6. Benny

Benny Member

In my experience, there's spectrum between amateur marketing copy, hardship/need, and change of direction/interest that covers the majority of such situations.

7. CapnRex

CapnRex Member

Please find the pattern here:

• Clothing salesperson: "Wow, this shirt really matches your eyes!"
    • Car salesperson: "I don't want to let this car go at this price, but you seem like a good guy so I'll make a deal as long as you don't spread the word."
    • Vitamin ads: "These vitamins are known to help with so many problems! They will keep you young! They will ward off the common cold!"
    • Guitar owner on CL: "This guitar was built by Jesus Christ and I'm going to hell for selling it, but you'd be a fool not to buy it!"

8. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

Sometimes folks do need cash.

9. Starshine

Starshine Member

Honestly, I don't care at all what the previous owner thought of a guitar, good or bad, as long as the description is factually accurate.

10. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

The emporium is full of ads like that. " this is the most amazing guitar I've ever owned it's one in a million I've never had a guitar this good, blah, blah, blah". It cracks me up.:rotflmao

11. Reverend Paul

Reverend Paul Member

I’d almost rather hear the seller say. My wife says I have to get rid of a few of my hundred guitar collection. Then still he isn’t selling his cream of the crop. Or the “this guitar just
    no kidding right? Or the My wife says I have to get rid of a few of my guitars to pay for “insert”. So he is selling off his clunkers basically. My buddy has a philosophy on used guitars. Basically nobody sells awesome guitars for no good reason. There usually has to be something wrong with the piece. I prefer to buy my used gear from used gear sellers. Right now I’m looking for a Japanese Firebird. Pretty much every seller from Japan is in the used gear market from what I can tell anyway.

The_Bell likes this.
  12. Reverend Paul

Reverend Paul Member

I can almost relate to this. Styles and taste change obviously. I’m just skeptical by nature I guess to overcompensate for my naiveté. Just seems like an over abundance of private sellers are getting rid of the “immaculate conception”

BSG likes this.
  13. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Member

14. Reverend Paul

Reverend Paul Member

Boards need a BS icon for us buyers just so we can let them know their thirst could be negatively affecting their sale chances.

Leader Desslok likes this.
  15. Reverend Paul

Reverend Paul Member

How so? Are you saying they are dumping the gear for dope?

WornFrets likes this.
  16. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

"My Luthier"... lol

Total train wreck of an advertisement.

17. Tootone

Tootone Member

Flowery Amateur Sales BS.

Ignore it. Be objective.

grantaustin likes this.
  18. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

M’kay

MattyK-USA, shane8, JWhite and 2 others like this.
  19. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

some people think they need to go down the used car salesmen route to sell a guitar and some don’t.

That doesn’t mean that there isn’t any great guitars being sold by private sellers.

every great guitar I’ve ever owned has been from a private seller .

guitarstan and bdgotoh like this.
  20. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

21. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

I actually did sell one of the best guitars I’ve played/owned because I thought I was done with Les Pauls. Massively regretted that about a month later and still living in hope the buyer has a clear out and I can buy it back :)