Why do I attract strange people?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Motorhed, May 8, 2015.

1. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Before reading the story, know that I'm not telling this in a tough guy way because that's not me. I don't tell it with pride, I'm ashamed of myself but my buttons were pushed pretty much to my absolute breaking point. I'm posting it because I have a hard time understanding why I seem to attract these people. This is only the most recent one.

I usually avoid taking a crap in public bathrooms but today, I had an emergency and I knew I couldn't make it home. Anyway, I'm doing my business and a kid of about 4 comes over and starts staring at me in the gap between the door and the partition. I ignored him at first but then he just won't leave! Having a kid stare at me while I'm trying to take a dump isn't exactly helping things move along, if you take my meaning. I tried motioning at him to go away but he's just not getting the hint, my stomach is hurting and I quit caring so I just said "go away". The kid starts bawling and his dad, who I didn't even know was in the bathroom, decides to finally take notice of what's going on. He bangs on the stall door and demands to know what's going on. Now he's staring at me in the gap, I told him exactly what happened and then told HIM to "Go away!". He asks what my %$@&ing problem is and I asked him if he liked being stared at by total strangers while he's trying to take a ****. He starts giving me **** about being in the stall when his kid has to go, I admit, this is when I kind of snapped. I told him the bathroom was empty when I came in(which it indeed was), that it wasn't my problem and he could go perform an anatomical impossibility upon himself. He starts arguing again and I admit it, I snapped completely and I haven't felt as pissed off in years as I felt in that moment. I told him to get the %$#& away from me and that if he was still in the room when I was done, there was going to be a big %$@!ing problem. He finally grabs his kid and leaves. Excuse me for wanting to take a dump without having people stare at me!!!

I wasn't sure what to expect coming out of the bathroom but he was nowhere to be seen. I wasn't sure if he might have gone to security or something but no one ever bothered me. I bought what I came there for and went home.

I'll be honest, had I not had to finish crapping and wipe, I really think I might have pulled up my pants, thrown open the door and hit the guy. Again, I'm not saying that in a tough guy way and I take no pride in it. It was just a very strange and unique situation that I never could have imagined happening. I'm still left shaking my head at the whole situation.

This is also a unique situation in that I can't actually say I'm sorry for it. Usually, even if someone's an asshole, I feel bad if I say anything about it. I get angry but I just let it pass, it's just easier that way.I guess being in the vulnerable state of sitting on a toilet changes a lot. Normally, I would be sorry for swearing in front of a kid but he dropped the f-bomb in a threatening manner first. Does that make me doing it right? Of course not, but him doing it first did change my attitude on the whole situation quickly. I feel ashamed for letting myself get that mad, but that's all.

I'll throw another short story in to show what other nearly mind bogglingly strange people I've had start on me just for existing.

A couple years ago, I was walking to my car in a parking lot. There was a woman walking ahead of me, I was 20 feet or so behind her, I was behind her because my car was in that isle. This was in broad daylight and there were other people walking to their cars around. She turns and says to me "Just where are you going?" I say "To my car. (I pointed to it). Where are you going?" I thought it was strange enough that I was asked that I returned the question. She points to my keys in my hand and asks what I have in my hand. I hold up my keys and say "My keys. What's in your hand?" Again, I thought I'd return the question. She responds with that with "I have mace." I told her I'd press full charges on her for assault if she sprayed me. For whatever reason, that seemed to satisfy her. She turned around and went to her car. Luckily it was farther down the isle than mine so I didn't have to pass her. I felt keeping a distance was the best thing at that point. If something happened to her in the past, I'm damn sorry about that, I truly am but that was no way to deal with it.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

Dude, believe me, you're not the only one weird **** like that happens too. I bag on Oregon, still, and I've lived here five years. But I swear to Buddha, Jesus and the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I have never been to a place where the people were so freakin weird. I'm sure the meth, (and/or other drugs) may have a lot to do with it. It's just a strange place with passive aggressive people who have unpredictable behaviour. I don't even like to go out if I don't have so I don't have interact with them if possible. Yeah, I want to move.

3. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I always swore my next band would be called BOZO MAGNET since I always attract the absolute freakshows of the universe

but I never seem to have a next band - I've had the same band for 29 years and running.....

4. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

That first bloke you mentioned is a fool.
    Rule #1 as a parent in public - avoid being the tough guy with your kids.
    He shoulda pulled his kid back.
    You coulda been anyone in there.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The more you are around people, the more you will run into the weirdos.
    And you never know other folks situation (though again, in the bathroom, or walking to your car you weren't doing anything wrong)...

Personally, I've noticed that some people don't seem to "get out much" and when they then are out have some weird ideas about interaction with other human beings. Of COURSE...someone in a toilet stall has a right to privacy and if your kid is staring and you find out, the proper thing is tell your kid not to do that.

The woman walking, who knows. Maybe she had been assaulted and was too paranoid from it. Maybe she never has and just is obsessed with it maybe happening. It isn't your problem.

I met a girl a long time ago, from another country, and in an awful lot of instances she would use that phrase "it isn't MY problem". I kinda like that idea. Some things are, but an awful lot of things aren't. Try and be nice to people and leave it at that, if they demand more...don't get mad just don't engage.

A lot of people seem to think the world should adjust to their needs, however weird. It can change with local customs but pretty much everywhere in the USA except barracks and jails folk have a right to privacy when on the toilet.

Walking to your car also...if someone asked me where I was going, in a manner that was demanding, I'm not sure I'd answer. It's not my problem, it's not their business.

6. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I certainly hope you are proud of yourself for threatening a guy taking his four year old to the bathroom. I'm not sure if you think you come off the better person I'm either of these stories but you don't. You are probably lucky the first guy didn't wait around to show his son how to deal with people like you. Nothing says I'm a badass like making threats from behind a stall door while taking a crap.

7. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

In the first incident, I would have calmly done an impression of a monkey in a zoo. I'm willing to bet he would have beaten a hasty retreat from things being flung in his general direction.

8. StuRdesign

StuRdesign Member

You reacted as well as possible IMHO. If you'd been "nicey nicey" or joked it away with the kid you'd have had someone mis-interpret that - deliberately or otherwise - as enticing the kid.

Not a good place to be in either situation; but in both cases it's a reaction from someone who thought they were vulnerable.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Did you actually read the post? He simply said "go away" to a kid peering in through the crack in the door...kid made noise, father starts banging on the door, and when told why he told the kid to go away, gets mad?

No...he wasn't wrong.

10. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Delicate subject.

I can understand why the OP was uneasy with someone looking in. In a lot of these restrooms, the doors close auto-magically. The best thing the "cracks in the door" are good for is to take a quick took in to see if it is occupied. You look in, see it's occupied, and you move on. If your eyes happen to meet, you shrug your shoulders to say "sorry, just looking for an empty stall". Not a big deal.

But, when someone stands there and watches - it gets very unnerving. I'm really with the OP on this. I am very uneasy "sitting down" on the job in a public restroom. For someone to stand and watch really creeps me out.

I can very easily imagine a scenario where that happens (as in, the young boy looking in) and I would respond with either a "please go away" or a "please don't look in here".

If it were my son, my response would have been to immediately tell my son that it is very impolite to look at and watch someone relieving themselves. My only response to the individual in the stall would have been one of apology - "Sorry, my son should not have done that."

Thanks for reading.

11. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Don't think you did anything wrong.

12. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

The world has a high percentage of idiots and whackjobs.
    No wonder I stay home so much.

13. jaycee

jaycee Member

Seriously.

14. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I think you did the right thing. The kid's Dad was the a-hole

15. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

16. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

You were in the right until this sentence.

17. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

No I didn't read the post yet somehow managed to address all the salient facts. :dunno But thanks for asking.

If you don't understand how ridiculous someone looks threatening someone from atop a toilet, I can't explain it to you.

And just for grins, the kid was looking in the stall because HE HAD TO GO TO THE BATHROOM AND HE IS FOUR.

But, well, you know, better to be a tough guy about the whole thing.

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Well..gee, you are kinda being an internet tough guy right here, with both your responses aren't you?

Kid didn't know better. What the OP said he "wanted to do" doesn't matter since he didn't, he just told the kid (rightfully) to stop peering at him. When dad came along the right response is "you can't watch people go to the bathroom" and find a solution.

What is your solution? Should the OP have not finished up, come walking out of the stall with his pants around his ankles, not wiped? What would you have him do differently...a little sarcasm maybe? Sheesh. Like it or not, it's a part of life that sometimes the toilet is occupied. It doesn't help banging on the door (instead it makes it take longer) and shouting isn't really something I think one should have to deal with for simply telling someone to stop looking at them. You may have read it, but you didn't get the "salient" facts.

You seem to only have some empathy with one side...you're sitting there, crapping, or trying to, and expect privacy. Get peered at and when you say "go away" you got some guy beating on the stall door, but hey...that's okay. What would your solution be then?

19. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

Well, he didn't say he washed his hands when he was done. :dunno

20. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

If a little kid was staring at me, I would have called out to ask if anyone was with him.