Why do I keep seeing Boss Blues Drivers on Pro Boards?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by holyears, Feb 21, 2008.

1. holyears

holyears Member

This might be a simple question, but I was just wondering what the story is the the Boss BD-2 -- I've never given the pedal much consideration (never even tried it out) but as of late I've been noticing it on a few touring bands boards. What is it's niche?
    I read on guitargeek that its basically a TS-9 but very good for humbuckers -- true? I guess it wouldn't be worth looking into for my Tele/Vox set-up or maybe some mods are what really make it shine?

How does it fare compared to a FDII?

2. vinceman

vinceman Member

I wouldn't compare the BD2 to a TS9. It's more a flat mids voiced OD, with no bass lost.

The pedal can be used as a clean boost (sounds even better with the Monte Allums H2O mod) but it can go to distortion with no problem.

A very good pedal (even stock). I love mine.

3. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

best stock Boss dirt pedal... why not? With mods, which we can't see if the casing is left stock, it can sound really nice.

4. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Most are probably keeley or allums modded.

5. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

I love my Keeley modified Blues Driver. It has a unique tone that has a ton of midrange in it. Perfect for strats through a Fender tube amp.

6. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

QFT. I do agree with the poster who said that the BD is more friendly with buckers than the TS9 is. That might be why too.

But guys, don't forget, there's a reason you see Boss pedals on pro touring boards - they are SUPER EASY to replace if something goes wrong. At soundcheck and your DD-6 gets fried? No problem, everyone stocks Boss pedals. Your Empress tremolo dies? Problem.

7. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

It's just a really great drive pedal.

8. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

Good point. But by that same reasoning why not just have your overdrive of choice, and should it die, replace it with a readily available Boss?

I personally believe you see a lot of them around is because people like the sound, even pros. Differences at gig volume can dwindle. Further, more time playing gigs and writing music is probably more beneficial than finding the latest greatest overdrive!

9. Headlow

Headlow Member

I use a Keeley modded BD-2 into an AC30 and it sounds equally good with my Tele as it does with my LP!

10. Jam119

Jam119 Member

I recently purcased a Keeley Phat Modded BD-2 from a fellow TPGer as I've been building a collection of various pedals for my studio. Definately a good overdrive that has a decent buffer... with the volume up and a lower gain setting - it's fat and clear OD - but a little high end fizz happepens to my ears when pushing the gain to high... to compare, At its best low gain sound - I can emulate the tone with my Barber LTD SR mod board - but the Barber is much more natural sounding and dynamic to my taste...

11. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

The BD2 does not get much respect in the usa. But it's one of our best selling mods in Japan. It's really a cool pedal, with a great range of distortion from clean to really dirty. Stacks great too.

12. dancehall

dancehall Member

Count me in as a big fan of the Keeley BD-2. Very transparent, touch responsive, and versatile. I could definitely get by with it as my only drive pedal.

13. Birddog

Birddog Member

My BD-2 is a permanent fixture on my board. Very good blues tones, and very responsive to volume, and pick attack.

14. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I had a Keeley BD too and although the KOT kicked it off the board I still liked it better than the Timmy I had.

Great Pedal. Inexpensive and available...whats not to like?

15. jayn

jayn Member

I have a BD-2 as well. I'm keeping it. I've modded the crap out of it (mostly with Keeley values). Both stock and modded, it sounds really good at low gain with a Tele into a Vox amp.

The downsides are an interesting mid-range content (might be good or bad depending on your preferences) and fizzy drive with a weird note decay that is hard to tame.

It has quite a wide range of tones available, however.

(and, IMO, the OD-3 is the best stock Boss OD pedal...although the BD-2 is probably second)

16. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

First pedal I bought when I went to tubes and abandoned the amp modeling world. Won't part with it. It's not the be-all end-all but it has it's place.

17. jrm

jrm Member

How does a Keeley Mod for this compare to the Monte Allums H20 Plus mod.

18. sense_of_henry

sense_of_henry Member

The BD-2 is a nice pedal. I preferred mine stock and sold it after I had it modded. I got tone-greedy and sent it to be modded and didn't like what happened.

:(

19. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

It's just a flat-out good sounding pedal.

I think a lot of people miss out on how good the lower gain and clean boost tones are because of a couple factors:

First, the tone control is voiced pretty brightly--a lot of folks do what I do: keep the tone knob down around 9:00 or lower. If you audition this thing with the tone up at noon or 1:00, you may find it way too bright/fizzy.

Second, it can get fizzy and pretty raunchy at higher gains. Not a bad sound by any means, but not what you want if you are looking for a smooth high-gain tone.

As long as you keep these things in mind, there's a lot of great tone in the BD-2.

I use Barber pedals for my smoother, higher-gain tones, and use the
    BD-2 for a boost with some touch-sensitive grit. Works great.

Kevy_Metal likes this.
  20. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

It surprised even me. I had a Keeley BD-2 that I just traded for an amp+cash. The guy just had to have it. I will order another one after the wife settles down about the amp.

Out of all the modded and boutique pedals I have had, it is the one that people keep trying to make off with after the set. I have had to "retrieve" it several times...

What everone said here is true. It is good stock, it is better modded, it handles singles and hums well, it is an effective clean boost, it is touch sensitive for dirt, and it does have a full range from clean to raunch, and it is easy to replace and a good deal for $99 from GC or $149 from Keeley.

That should pretty much sum up why they are seen in so many places.

Now a good question would be Keeley vs. analogMan vs. Indyguitarist vs. Monte.....? So far I like them all, but lean toward Keeley and Indy (tweed mod).