Why do I keep wanting a Klone?

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
Seriously. I bought a Tumnus ...twice. And I’ve owned two Mythical Overdives. Every time the whole K-thing doesn’t do it for me and I sell them.
And yet, even though I’m totally happy with my drives, I’m considering buying a RYRA. Wtf?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Seriously. I bought a Tumnus ...twice. And I’ve owned two Mythical Overdives. Every time the whole K-thing doesn’t do it for me and I sell them.
And yet, even though I’m totally happy with my drives, I’m considering buying a RYRA. Wtf?
You know what the definition of insanity is, right?
Klons were never the tones that worked for me.. The Chase Audio Bliss and Lovepedal overdrives, Well that’s another story

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
You know what the definition of insanity is, right?
Klons were never the tones that worked for me.. The Chase Audio Bliss and Lovepedal overdrives, Well that’s another story
Yeah, and Kingsley has ruined me forever for other drives but Part of me keeps wanting a Klone. Maybe it’s the big knobs.....

ED_P

I have never tried an OCD or Soul Food. People seem to make a fuss about those- especially the OCD.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like you've tried 4 of them. I hope you've learned your lesson. ;)
It took me more than 4 to finally admit that they just aren't something I'm crazy about.
As dirt pedals they're pretty darn awful imo (honky & nasal sounding).
As a boost/buffer/eq they're ok but I've found other things I like more.

Yeah, and Kingsley has ruined me forever for other drives but Part of me keeps wanting a Klone. Maybe it’s the big knobs.....
You can buy those big knobs from places like smallbear and put them on your Kingsleys.

Last edited:

FOTM704

Silver Supporting Member
I with ya. I’ve bought and sold two klones. Both were really good, but not worth the space on my board to just be a clean boost (how I was using them). I also didn’t like how the buffer interacted with some of my other pedals

I own a Soul Food, but never use it. I also owned a Tumnus Deluxe, but it never clicked with me. Seems like I'm much more of a BB+/Palisades/Euphoria kind of player.

Someone already cited the classic definition of insanity here. But there's an addendum not too many know about: doing the same thing over and over, knowing you're going to get the same bad result, but doing it anyway.

Last edited:

jimijimmyjeffy

It's just a practical tool that does a number of things you may or may not need. It's not some magic thing that everybody should love.

I'm so lucky in that I kind of stumbled on the KTR while being blissfully ignorant of the stories and hype. It was just a pedal that matched a sound in my head when I was needing something to spruce up my Fender amp. I heard the high mids and bingo. I didn't feel obligated to like it. Now in hindsight I get confused by the hype and controversy. I have gotten in arguments suggesting the drama is overdone and unnecessary.

As far as klones, if one strikes you, get it. If not, no biggie.

It's good to learn what all they can do, in the same way that it's good to know what a tubescreamer does.

musickbox

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe you like Klon inspired pedals? I have been playing Rawkworks Light OD for the past 6 years and I love it. I've tried it against a KTR and other Klones and preferred it. I also have a Mythos Mjolnir on the way. Hoping that one will knock my Light OD off the board

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Why do I keep wanting a Klone?
Seriously. I bought a Tumnus ...twice. And I’ve owned two Mythical Overdrives. Every time the whole K-thing doesn’t do it for me and I sell them.
It's because you, my friend, belong to the species that is called Homo Sapiens. The individuums of this species often do absolutely irrational things, believe in hypes and fairy tales. This is the weakness and, at the same time, the strength of the species. You may ask how did I know? By avatar? No. It's because you've bought the Tumnus twice. :)
Judging by the answers in this thread we are all Homo Sapiens here. :D
Seriously, RYRA is a very good klone. But it will add literally nothing to your experience (apart of the scary pictogram :)) because it is built in a very similar way as Rimrock MO. What I'd recommend you to do is to try Vintage Spec Mythical Overdrive (VSMO) if you didn't do it yet. I own RYRA, MO, VSMO and many other great klones and VSMO is one of my desert island drives. I tried hundreds of different overdrives. It's hard to impress me much. But when I tried VSMO first time I said "Wow!!". Ken and Joe managed to find awesome sweet spot with their tweaks. VSMO sounds special, consistent and very impressive. It's really the keeper for me.
Not sure if you consider replacing one dream with another a help. :) But have fun anyway!

Last edited:

nowhere

Well, they work really well for quite a lot of guitarists so it's easy to feel like you must be missing something or there must be a problem on your end that leads to you giving up on them - at least for a while before getting the urge to give them yet another try.

Everybody is different though. Maybe you just aren't a Klon type player. I know I'm not. I first had the chance to try one out when they were fairly new to the market. GP (Joe Gore I think) had given it a good review and a local store had one in stock. I tried it. I didn't care for it at all. A friend was there at the same time and really liked it - and sounded great with it - and bought it on the spot.

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
Klones are great, and incredibly versatile. You should have at least one. Get a Mythical Overdrive and don’t sell it when you get an itch. You’ll be glad you didn’t when you rediscover how good it is.

Trending Topics