Why Do I need a Tim?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Jan 20, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've read great things about the Tim for a long time here and on other forums. Currently, for Boost/OD/distortion I am using:

RC Booster>Zendrive>Mosferatu (4 knob)

On the bench (way too good to sell):
    - Tonebone Classic (w/NOS tube)
    - MI Audio Blue Boy (w/various opamps)
    - DonnerBox HellBilly
    - Bad Bob
    - Zoom PD-01
    - GE-7 (will be used for boost when it gets "sniped").

Besides the benefit of an additional loop, what can the Tim possibly offer that is not covered in spades in the gear listed above??

2. Fernando

Fernando Member

I haven't tried all the pedals you listed, but I believe the TIM is quite unique. I don't believe there is one pedal that could deliver the same amp-like od the TIM does (I'm sure you've read about its transparency).

Besides, the TIM is a light/medium od, but yet, on the gritty side. It's superb for crunchy rythms. Then you kick in the bosst and it's ready for leads. I think it's the best pedal ever. And it's not just me ;)

3. drolling

drolling Member

Altho' I don't yet have a Tim, I do have many of the pedals you're using, and Timmy's different enough to find its own place on your board.

But you may not like. I think it's fantastic, but it isn't for everyone. It has boost/eq features that are similar to your RC, but it has much more gain/distortion on tap. But less than the next pedal in your chain, the Zendrive.

Reason I'm thinking you might not like it is the fact that your getting your dirty tones from 2 Hermida pedals. I have a Zendrive and don't use it much as I prefer the edgier distortion I'm getting from Timmy. Some people have referred to its sound as "grainier"- It definitely doesn't do the smooth, thick, warm distortion that the Zen does, but it cleans up a lot better, and it seems way more sensitive to my pick attack.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I know a lot of folks mention that a pedal is "amp-like" and that's cool..but the guys you are talking too already HAVE an amp :)

I think what is meant is "amp friendly" as in not sounding like a discrete component box, not transistor or digital sounding....right?

5. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

+1000000000 amen! :dude

6. erksin

erksin Member

I think you're right on about the differences between the Tim/Timmy and the Hermida boxes, d. After owning the Timmy for a few weeks, my ears no longer prefered the Mosferatu's spongier buttery attack. It's really surprizing how one pedal can change your ears sometimes...

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I have to agree. For me, I'll get a OD/Distortion like the ToneBone for instance and just fall in love with it. Then, some months later I'll try the Blue Boy and my threshold shifts. The Blue Boy sounds better as it's capable of being more open sounding and edgier, not as smooth as the TB. So I end up using the Blue Boy exclusively until something else comes around - like my Hermida boxes, which I've been using exclusively for months now.I wonder if I'd end up using the Blue Boy again if I swapped it into my board. My threshold may shift again!Bottom line is, I tend to like more transparent OD/distortion boxes and the mids in the Zendrive and the ultra-smoothness of the Mosferatu sometimes don't feel right. Maybe I'll have to dig out the Blue Boy again this weekend!Anyone here own/have owned a Blue Boy and a Tim that can offer a comparison?

8. drolling

drolling Member

Well, I've got a Blues Pro coming in any day now.. From what I've been able to gather, that's the less gainy little brother to the Blue Boy, right?

You guys are so right about how our perceptions evolve along w/our rigs. I've got some old recordings that I can't listen to anymore- my idea of *good* tone sure has changed over the years.. then again, my hearing could be going, too..

9. Fernando

Fernando Member

Yes, you're right. I believe it is so good cause it will let you keep the characteristics of your amp. But that's only good if you have a good amp. That's why I think the TIM is sort of tube amp like, since even crappy solid state amps will sound better with it in front.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I can't help you with that specific comparison, but I also have a Zendrive coming eventually, but got my Blues Pro a few weeks ago, and I am NOT getting tired of it at all. Kicked my beloved Jekyll & Hyde CLEAN OFF my pedalboard. Though I won't say it is "better", I like it's possibilities better right now. Wouldn't think of getting rid of the J & H, in fact, I think it is nice when you get used to a pedal, no matter HOW great, it is nice to go back and rediscover another sound with an old favorite too.

That said I am not tiring of this pedal. I cannot imagine to be honest, how the zendrive could be any better, or the Tim...though I'm sure others here can tell me it is. This Blues Pro is simply phenomenol.

I did have to get to know it, there is NOT a bad sound to be found with this pedal that I can find....just different types of excellent sounds.

It sounds organic, sounds like it is part of my amp, playing with three different tube amps.

I have only tried it first on my board or second after a true bypass.
    Waiting for my Teese wah to see how it reacts with it.

I think you're going to love it!

11. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

BillyK,

I've been running a Blue Boy with a Tim in front of it for about a year now. I use it with an Allen Tone Savor (very BF fender sound) or a Dr. Z RT66 w/Zbest cabinet.
    I set the Tim for a slight crunch with a little bass boost because I'm using a Fender strat and an Asat. I also boost the bass slightly on the BB and have the mids set to slightly thicker than transparent. The sound is very good. I can get a little Blues edge with just the Tim, a little more sustain with just the BB or turn them both on for "Still got the blues" type od/dist. Very versatile.
    The only caveat is getting it dialed in night after night.
    Sometimes it's really great, other nights it's just good but never bad.

Three weeks ago on a whim I ordered a Blues Pro. At home at low volumes, I did not like it. For grins, I put it on my board anyway in place of the Tim. I was blown away when I put some juice to it at a gig. Kicking in the BB with the BP was very good. Not only did it sound great but I've been able to dial it in night after night. Does it sound better than the Tim/BB? No! Not better, just different. A little smoother.
    The Tim has more crunchy type grit. It's all in what your looking for. I'm using it for country/country rock and I love the tones either way. Right now I'm going to stick with BP/BB but the Tim will always be with me. BTW, dont forget the Tim has an effects loop if you want to use an EQ or another pedal. I have not done this because I was happy with it the way it was.

I hope this helps a little.

12. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, thanks Jack. This is the kind of info that's far more helpful to me than soundclips. Comparisons to pedals I'm familiar with, in the context of amps used, type of music played pretty much guarantees that I'll have a good idea of what I'm getting.

Not surprised to hear the BluesPro works best at stage volume. My favorite pedals were difficult to dial in at first, and are always better paired w/a hard working amp.

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Jack - great feedback!SOT: have you tried different opamps in that Blue Boy? The last opamp I tried back in September was a Burr-Brown OPA-something or other and it was a heads/shoulders improvement over the stock 4558 opamp. I can get the specific info if you wish. I collected a bunch of other opamps to try, but never had the time to audition them. Maybe this weekend!Thanks again Jack, and others so far, for the info on this thread!

14. erksin

erksin Member

The Pro gets a little more raw sounding with the gain cranked by Michael's description, IIRC - still lower gain than the BB...

And I totally get your point on 'old tone' and changing ears - my idea of great OD tone when I was a kid was my MXR Distortion + into a JC-120!

15. erksin

erksin Member

I have an LM833 in mine - clear and articulate, but still sweet with lots of harmonic overtones...

16. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

No, I haven't tried a different opamp, but I would love to. If you would give the specifics on where you got them I would really appreciate it.

17. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

You don't need a TIM. It looks like you have all shades of overdrive with the nice pedals you have. Just play what you got and forget about it.

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Yeah - that's pretty much where I am right now. Particularly with the Blue Boy that is so tweakable and opamp-swap-friendly.

Just checking out the concensus amoung the players here.

Thanks!

19. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Jack:
    For buying opamps, check out www.smallbearelec.com

My current fave is a Burr Brown OPA2604. A quick search at the gearpage will surface the names/ID's of other opamps to try.

20. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Curiosity got the better of me. I am on the Tim list!