Why do I need these pedals?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RocknPop, Feb 15, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

So, my other band mate (lead guitarist), who I look up to since he is MUCH more knowledgeable than me told me to get a chorus and a compressor pedal for pop music.

I wanted to hear your thoughts on this as well as a recommendation for your favorite ones (for pop and alternative music).

2. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

Does it sound good to you???? If it does go for it

3. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

thers no right or wrong, mayb he/she meant for specific songs that use those effects? I use compression when playing clean, I get enough comp with dirt alone.

4. Echo

Echo Member

Personally? I think everyone should have a compressor on hand or as an option, because while it doesn't necessarily have to make a large impact on your sound, the little things you can do with them are so so useful.

I view a comp as a utility pedal as opposed to an effect pedal.

Chorus on the other hand? I have one on my board that I never use, but I could see a place for it in pop music certainly. So that one I'd definitely leave up to your ears. Comp on the other hand is a good reccomendation I think.

5. Varc

Varc Member

I personally think a compressor is necessary for any board or guitar set up. I've got the four knob Keeley compressor and when I'm playing with other its never off. The only time I don't run the comp in the chain is when I'm playing a solo jazz piece cause I'll just run guitar to amp. Its very necessary for funk and pop, especially if you're rhythm I'd say. Like the poster before me said, the compressor isn't so much an effect pedal as it is something to build and refine your tone with.

As for the Chorus. Its only really useful if you've got a song that requires it. I run a Deja Vibe that I use on the odd occasion. Great vintage sounding chorus/vibrato that gets you that Leslie speaker effect as I'm not a fan of the modern sounding chorus.

I may just be me, but I wouldn't go near the Boss Compressor or Chorus pedal, or Boss pedals in general for that matter. Terrible buffers.

6. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

i agree, but my live rig is all Boss, the cool stuff dont leave the house anymore

7. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

I've been thinking about putting a compressor onto my board for a while. I got a Boss CS-3 that was modded forever ago by Mark Humphrey (the "Atom Smasher" mod, even has a cool label on front of the pedal now and the brightest green LED ev-ar). I don't play with many pedals but I may need to check it out in my Live rig sometime soon. Any tips are appreciated.

C

8. jaxn slim

jaxn slim Member

Depends on the tunes you play.

9. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

i don't think you 'need' the pedals, but a chorus and compressor help for clean parts. Compressors are hit or miss for me I usually opt not to use them. Chorus I can live without if i have a nice delay (some delays have a'mod' with them that can colour your cleans) or a tremolo pedal.

If youre in a band with 2 gtr players, i would think you would need chorus less than if it's just one guitarist.

10. hikingbear

hikingbear Member

Why don't you get something like Line6 M series pedals.
    You get to experiment with a lot of different pedals.(dist, chorus, phaser, delay etc)

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

you may need chorus if the Police is in your live catelog.