• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why do Modern Bassists always play WAY too busy??

Yackopus

I'm sure I'm not alone in asking this, but why are all the bassists you see now-a-days always these massive over-players? i've taken an interest in the bass on-and-off, got one of my own, but i'm always turned off by the state of modern bass :(

It's everywhere - hardly a demo video, a playthrough or even a live gig goes by without some bass slapping, or string tapping, chords on those massive harp-basses, or a bass tone that's completely buried by effect pedals.

I find bass pretty interesting when done right, but i can count on ONE hand the amount of times I've clicked on a bass video and gotten met with nice, tasteful groove playing. it's as if the current generation of bassists are turning into guitarists - more strings, more solos, more effects, hardly a clean, supportive bassline unless you listen to the classics. Overplaying across the board

Is this really the way bass is now? What i see now has no resemblance to what was bass when I came up. am I crazy for preferring a "Duck" Dunn or a Dusty to a Dave504 or a Charles Berthoud? What-ever makes them happy of course, but that type of playing is what got a bassist fired back then :jo

rolandk

Silver Supporting Member
After you’ve played ~5 years your skills will surpass what’s required for most popular music and you either have to be OK becoming stagnant, blatantly overplay, or learn how to play more complex lines but be subtle about it.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Charles Berthoud
He's a virtuoso.
He can play material I dare say has never been played on bass before.
Those who are expanding the envelope will never be able to play, at capacity, under the restraints of most music.
YT is an outlet for them. Maybe some of us can appreciate hearing an unique musical application of the instrument.
Songwriting and composing to a purpose in pop music is a different task.

Telfer

I find bass pretty interesting when done right, but i can count on ONE hand the amount of times I've clicked on a bass video and gotten met with nice, tasteful groove playing. it's as if the current generation of bassists are turning into guitarists - more strings, more solos, more effects, hardly a clean, supportive bassline unless you listen to the classics. Overplaying across the board
Completely agree...as well as too much treble in the bass tone. Guitar and bass sound best when they are far apart in the tonal spectrum. My ideal would be Fingerprint File by the Stones.

Or the Golden Road by the Grateful Dead.

beanbass

I'm sure I'm not alone in asking this, but why are all the bassists you see now-a-days always these massive over-players? i've taken an interest in the bass on-and-off, got one of my own, but i'm always turned off by the state of modern bass :(

It's everywhere - hardly a demo video, a playthrough or even a live gig goes by without some bass slapping, or string tapping, chords on those massive harp-basses, or a bass tone that's completely buried by effect pedals.

Is this really the way bass is now? What i see now has no resemblance to what was bass when I came up. am I crazy for preferring a "Duck" Dunn or a Dusty to a Dave504 or a Charles Berthoud? What-ever makes them happy of course, but that type of playing is what got a bassist fired back then :jo
Is Charles Berthoud a name player now? I used to see him all over Boston a few years back, playing with a banjo friend's Flecktones/Celtic type group. I remember him to be very good, but totally Vic Wooten & Stu Hamm derivative.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Depends on what you choose to listen to, I guess. ;)
Id like to hear an example something more “complicated and interesting” than 30 years ago or even 50 years ago. Or even 200 years ago. Maybe it depends on what YOU don’t listen to.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom