Why do musicians hate simple bands/simple music?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rich2k4, Feb 16, 2009.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

I've been thinking about this ever since reading that huge nickelback thread, and actually sitting down to listen to them. They aren't that bad.

is t because musicians take so much time to study their theory, practice there scales and soloing to death, that they don't like to hear the idea that all you really need is a good chord progression, strong melody, and good hook, for a good song?

i love blues music with a lot of soloing, i love fusion stuff. I love your scott hendersons, robben fords, eric claptons, stevie ray vaughans.

but ik also love john mayer, i love jason mraz, i dig a bunch of nickelback tunes, i love dave matthews, ray lamonagne, brad paisley, a whole bunch of singer songwriter stuff.

i don't dismiss any of it just because it happens to be played on the radio, so therefor it must be bad.

to be honest, most of the time i enjoy a good song played on an acoustic, with a good melody, good hook. and NO GUITAR SOLO ANYWHERE TO BE FOUND.

2. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Personally, I disagree that musicians hate simple music. If you want to hear the hate, play complicated music, ask for feedback, and count the number of 'too many notes' comments.

I find I generally prefer all types of music.

3. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

I don't think that's the case. If so, nobody would like Bob Dylan or any other singer/songwriters for that matter. I don't think I've seen an overwhelming dislike here for any of the people you mentioned (besides Mayer and Nickelback). But I don't like Nickelback either, but not because their stuff is too simple, it's because I can't stand the singer's voice and their songs just don't do anything for me.

4. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

Leonard Cohen is hated?

5. brdstl

brdstl Member

I don't with Nickelback the hate is because of the simplicity of their music.with that said, I too prefer music that I guess is considered simple. There doesn't have to be a guitar solo to make me happy.

6. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Jealousy is a big part of it.

7. russ6100

russ6100 Member

Man, you need to hang out with some real musicians.

8. shane88

shane88 Member

I generally prefer "simple" music but the question is am I a musician? :)

lotsa peeps overplay with the idea that it will make them sound better when all the public is after is the vibe man

9. Phil M

Phil M Member

Why do people make broad sweeping generalizations?

I am a musician and love simple music as well as more complex things. You either dig it or you don't. Some one vocalizing an opinion does not necessarily make them the majority.

10. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

That's kind of a broadbrush....don't you think?

There are those that will hate every piece of music that they disagree with...for whatever reason...be it not complex enough....too commercial and the artist has "sold out"...or out of pure jealously because they can't write a tune that can connect with the public at large, making the public at large not up to their intellectual/artistic level.

And....some people are miserable and just plain hate everything....which would suck.

11. Bankston

Bankston Member

Every time I start to hate Nickelback again they come out with a song I really dig. They have the formula down pat. Write ballads for the girls and rockers for the guys.

They also are a very good live band and Chad plays more leads live. He's actually not half bad.

As far as simplicity goes, it seems to me that the best and most memorable riffs and hooks are pretty simple, and I don't have problem with that at all.

12. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Granted, his statement is a bit broad-based, but he's got a point. The amount of pretentiousness directed towards seemingly "simpler" music on forums like the Gear Page can be prevalent at times.

13. 5E3

5E3 Member

IMO, some of the biggest hits in rock and blues history are very simple songs. Listening to a simple song with easy to remember lyrics and a steady beat is (IMO) fun for the audience.

If you want complicated music, listen to jazz :)

14. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Well I love Johnny Lee Hooker and I love Yes, 1 chord vs a 1miilion notes...key is they are good and have intergrity( they would be playing music because they "have to". nickleback strikes me as a pre fab concept, put together to fill a marketing void. just heard their new tune in you mouth...sounds like they lifted vocal riff from the cult and cut n pasted them into a song, not very original, not much feeling(welcome to the machine)and more cheese that a box of kraft cheese n macaroni. The song is not simple nor complex it just is lame. I predict a MASSIVE HIT

15. 8Painting

8Painting Member

+1

All the real musicians I know, appreciate good music of all forms, from ridiculously intricate, to bare bones.

16. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I don't hate simple music.

I just hate crappy simple music.

It's just an opinion, man, and worth every penny you paid for it.

17. kayemmsee

kayemmsee Member

ding ding!

18. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Do you mean simple like a ZZ Top or ACDC song? Simple is great but it gotta groove.

19. puckhead

puckhead Member

counter argument: most musicians I know really like Neil Young.

three chords and the truth, baby.

20. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I think a lot of people look down on Nickleback and other corporate rockers because their music is contrived.