Why do old people like P90 pickups so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gainiac

Logistically they are impossible for me to use. To much hum with the kind of gain I like for crunch and lead.

Aesthetically speaking, I like low output singles and 'buckers. More stuff in the high end going on. Whenever I've used p90's I found myself thinking that they sounded lifeless because of the overwind/output and just not as "rich". I realize under certain circumstances they have their place, crunch with EL84's and all that.........I don't like EL84 based designs that much either.

Frankee

Wartime Consigliere
Whatever pops!

You would not know hip even if a doctor came up and replaced yours.

:rimshot

I kid thanks for the responces so far.

I'm only 36. :(........but age has nothing to do with it.

Miles Davis was cooler than most cats at 65.....see where I'm going with this?

Now go git ya some P90's and play your guitar.......:horse

ellpolo

I'll throw this back at the youngsters....

... because Humbuckers cover up a lot of slop and strat singles don't pick up as much of it... a P90 is so brash but so sensitive it's like standing naked on stage. You better know what the hell you're doing with it, or you'll sound like an idiot.

:D

BOOM!!! right on the money. It aint gonna cover S*^%!!!!!

gainiac

BOOM!!! right on the money. It aint gonna cover S*^%!!!!!

Jimmy Page, Humbuckers, Slop, GLORIOUS.

I disgaree with the "cover-up" statement. That's a stylistically driven tone thing. Crunch, bright, percussive tones with any PU tend to show the warts and all. I can absolutely dial up a silky, smooth, OD'd or clean tone with P90's that can hide tons of slop if I want.

frisco kid

Silver Supporting Member
Why do you guys indulge these kids by trying to rationalize the gear you use? This was a less cluttered forum before the Harmony Central rejects flooded in...a stupid question deserves a stupid answer but I won't feed the troll.

kelvinator60

Silver Supporting Member
A P90 is so brash but so sensitive it's like standing naked on stage. You better know what the hell you're doing with it, or you'll sound like an idiot.

That is pretty much the thread winner right there because it is the honest truth about P90s.

Jacobpaul81

Nothing crunches like a P-90. It really is the ideal rhythm pickup.

I'm 28. Some of the best acts today use P-90 and P-100 equipped guitars.

mikefair

Silver Supporting Member
Three reasons I became a fan: Paul McCartney. John Lennon. George Harrison.

Jacobpaul81

Three reasons I became a fan: Paul McCartney. John Lennon. George Harrison.

The only reason one needs:

battered%20old%20black.jpg

JB Eckl

Silver Supporting Member

I get it. Someone says "Marc Ribot, Jim Hall and Grant Green" and you say "Who?" just to be a dick. This is surprising from someone approaching 30. Maybe a 17 yr. old... but there are a bunch of teenagers on TGP that are actually curious about music and want to pick up on what others know.

Anyway, I know you think it's cute, so... there you go. But I'm bummed out that people actually answered you with real, helpful responses.*

*note, no letter 'c' in 'responses.'

andrekp

I'm not sure what you are trying to say to EXPcustom, but I wouldn't assume that everybody here knows every guitarist on the planet, even "famous" ones, just because they aren't 17.

I've been playing guitar in one form or another since the late 70's, and I've never HEARD of any of these three. Looking them up, I find they are all Jazz guys. Well that explains it: My love for jazz has nothing to do with guitar jazz, which I generally dislike. And while I recognize that many people DO like it, I don't feel some sort of moral obligation as a guitarist to seek out all corners of the guitar world to find every deserving guitarst to place in my pantheon.

So maybe EXP was being a wiseguy, and maybe he wasn't, but I wouldn't presume that any guitarist over 30 either knows these guys or he's living in a cave and has nothing to say on the subject, or is hampering anybody's own quest.

Julia343

Some kid turned me onto P90s. I find it a tone with humbucker intensity but with better definition. Can be a little noisy into a high gain amp, but hey, when you're playing no one can hear the noise.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
When were tele pickups invented? 1950? Strat? 1953? Humbuckers? 1957?

The idea that these are the newfangled pickups that made P90s obsolete is just kind of, well, laughable.

I am going to go with people of any age who have thought about it at all that like P90's, or humbuckers, or teles, or Line 6 guitars, just like them for their sound.

kldonegan

First off, if you feel the need to declare yourself "hip and happening" on the internets, you probably aren't.

That being said, I'm 25 and I love them. I have a Les Paul Jr that flat out rocks and cleans up very well when you dial back the volume. Nasty and sparkly all in the same pickup. And, no, the sound of a P90 can't be had in any other pickup. It's also interesting to note that the first humbucker was meant to retain the sound of a P90 without the hum...

Tons of different tones using P90s... off the top of my head - Live at Leeds, Marc Ribot, Mike Campbell, Grant Green, Neil Young, The Beatles, Tom Bukovac, Keith Urban, Green Day, Leslie West, etc...

"Controversial" thread title aside, you owe it to yourself to check in to the P90 thing. Google, download and listen. You might just find that you dig it.

And, yes, they sound FANTASTIC through a Bassman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom