why do pedal dealers only insure shipments for $50?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DSL74, Apr 23, 2015.

1. DSL74

DSL74 Member

I have ordered several pedals and many sell for $150-$200. But each shipment I received via USPS was only insured for $50. Don't get it, shouldn't the dealer insure them for more than that? I imagine dealer cost would be more than $50 on a $200 pedal. Wouldn't they stand to lose out if the pedal got lost? Or am I missing something here?

2. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

If they lose 1 out of 1000 pedals, they would be losing out big time buying insurance for 999 pedals that don't get lost. not to mention, the labor cost of filling out insurance forms for every pedal.

They eat the .1% that gets lost.

3. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

Plus their cost of the pedal probably isn't much more than $50.

4. twp

twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

$50 insurance comes automatically with Priority Mail shipping. For risk above that, they are essentially self-insured.

5. IRG

IRG Member

This, USPS gives you $50 automatically. What they should do is have a signature for delivery. Costs a bit more, but then this insures the buyer has received it in case of any claims of theft.

6. JeffR

JeffR Supporting Member

If you're referring to the $50 amount displayed on the USPS Tracking site, I believe that is only displaying the default amount that comes with Priority shipping.
    Whenever I mail pedals it only displays the $50 even when I pay for the extra insurance. I've never noticed it displaying the full insurance I've payed.