Why do pencil pushers have to muddle things?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MONSTER ZERO, May 27, 2015.

1. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Up until a few months ago I loved my job. I do my job with pride, I am good at my job and I am a go to person in the Field. I have designed procedures that get used to train every Field Tech that comes through Corporate which is something (and I'm using my own Managers words) no Field Systems employee has ever done in my region... yet..

Every single day now is an exercise in futility. So many projects going at once with no ideas what the deadlines are on top of our regular work and constant reminders that if we can't hack it we will be replaced. We are told that we shouldn't have any problems getting both project work and service calls done in a timely manner, in other words without OT, yet what it has done has caused myself and every other Field Systems person to work at least 3-4 hours off the clock every day mand even then we can't keep up. Coincidentally we all had to sign a document stating we wouldn't work off the clock. Obviously they dont care if we work off the clock, just if we bitch about it or try to do something about it legally.

They send us these metrics that supposedly prove we can handle the workload in an 8 hour day if we are organized.

I know this isn't the good ol days when on some days you ran your calls for that day and still had time to knock off 9 holes at the local golf course and get paid for it. I certainly am not of the entitled ones that think those days should still exist. Skeleton crews and overworked, underpaid is the order of the day now and I accept that "IF" they let me doing my F**king job!

All I do now is wonder when I will be fired. I am no spring chicken and finding another job in this field will not be easy especially at my pay rate albeit less than I deserve it's still a decent pay check. My boss calls pretty much all of us 3-4 times a day to criticize things we do and how we do them. Never a pat on the back. Sometimes it's immediately after closing a service call to nit pick how we put the notes in the service ticket! Micro Managing defined!

It all started when they hired a new Director of IT. Everyone is afraid to say anything at our Regional Meetings or weekly conference calls for fear of finding themselves on the street.

Even our younger Field people can't keep up with this pace but Corporate seems to be perfectly happy chugging along pushing us past our limits and sending down threats.

As I type this I was told I need to meet with my Manager and our Lead Tech at some point this week. No warning or where/when just that he will call me when he's ready for me. I then will have to drive to wherever he is at that point further screwing up my day.

I've seen similar things happen in this Field before and it's not a good sign. It seems they are trying to filter us out and replace us with all younger techs who are happy to earn half of what I make.

rant -off

2. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I hear ya'.
    Tho it hadn't gone to that extent in my last technology job, I could see the tactics of management changing slowly in that direction.
    And I definitely felt the push of economics vs age/experience/cost-of-employing

It had a lot to do with why I left the world of engineering.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Yep. I see a lot of the same here. There was a big management shake up last year where almost all of middle management was fired, demoted, reassigned or quit. They did make a few mistakes but nothing deserving of the response.

The new team consists of metrics mavens who are more or less beholden to the conglomerate HQ. It's really killed morale here. I've been told my job will be eliminated by the end of 2016, if not sooner.

4. claudel

claudel Member

It's what they do...

5. Joisey

Joisey Member

I left the soul sucking field of IT 4 years ago with no job lined up, no plan B and zero safety net. Just walked out the door. Got in the Electricians Union and have a path upward again at 48yrs of age. It amazes me how much of one's life is just given away to parasites out of fear. Good luck slugging it out in the cubicles. I do feel your pain.

sanrico likes this.
  6. loudboy

loudboy Member

I would think that this would be a positive thing?

It's the middle managers who really screw things up, IMHO.

Do you really need 2-3 layers of people relaying directives from upper mgt. and feeling the need to "make their mark" on them? IME, they just get in the way of the folks who actually do the work.

7. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Member

i love saying useless things every day unto infinity

8. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Wow. This has been the exact opposite of my experience. Where I work, the top layer is so out of touch with reality and have no notion whatsoever of prioritization. Everything is a must have, and they are so unwilling to hear "no" that middle management no longer bothers to even try to say "no" any longer. In our shop, if the layer at the top would just go ahead and retire, the rest of us might actually get some progress made.

But it's like this everywhere. Everyone I know is either unemployed or over-employed.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

So why do you need them?

Upper management is often clueless, but they don't need a horde of lackeys riding production's asses.

If they make stupid decisions, the company will fail, it will just happen sooner if they're paying a bunch of middle managers extravagant salaries to try to convince production that they're good ideas.

I've never seen a case where an underling actually convinced someone in upper management that they were heading in the wrong direction.

10. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Middle management is where the rubber meets the road, but that doesn't mean there isn't bloat and there can be bad managers at any level.

11. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Because upper management has no role whatsoever in developing associates. In our shop, middle management's role is to provide coaching and development for associates to enable them to get their job done. I won't claim that there isn't dead weight at the middle management level. There is dead weight and slackers at every layer. But the good managers don't spend their time squeezing blood out of turnips and serving up the Kool Aid. The good managers make sure their direct reports have the tools, training, information, and support they need to get the job done. When the job gets done, the associate level gets the credit. When the job doesn't get done, middle management takes it up the rear.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Oh, we still have the layers, just with new, more cluelessly metrics driven, ones. The ones we have now are more typical corporate middle managers while the previous ones were more directly involved in and more knowledgeable about the day-to-day business.