Why do people buy crap Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by teleman1, Jul 5, 2018.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Member

I am stunned by how hot Vinyl is. But even morso how people search through bins buying records for less than a dollar, heck less than $5. The majority of those albums are so butchered, it defeats the purpose of getting Vinyl in the first place. I use to buy new and return poor pressings. And I am sorry, buying $200 worth of antiquated audio gear will probably have audio deficiencies enough to defeat the purpose of the whole venture in the first place. THey probably don't even adjust the turntable before they use it. Rant over.

2. crumjack

crumjack Member

Because I'll pay a buck for a Robert Palmer album but not $25 for the reissue (it it exists). And I'll take a peak to be sure it isn't butchered.

There is also a vintage vibe to vinyl. My wife preferred getting a very good condition used version of Joni Mitchell's Blue (not expensive but not bargain bin) over a new reissue simply because it was old.

Another factor is discovery. There's a lot of no hit wonders in the dollar bin and some people are genuinely interested in finding a hidden musical gem for themselves.

3. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

why would anybody want a ratty old smoky fender practice amp when they could have a new katana?
    i did spend quite a bit more on my well tempered record player (highly recommended), and am very pleased with its’ ability to extract the music from old vinyl while deemphasing the noise. winwin.

sitedrifter likes this.
  4. teleman1

teleman1 Member

I use to return pressings for not sounding clear/clean. You have a turntable that eliminates and enhances that and all but eliminates pops and clicks?

5. jnovac1

google it. bill firebaugh is the inventor. not magic, but a danged fine table. i’ve had mine for 20 years or so.

6. teleman1

teleman1 Member

Please give me your address. I will soon be moving near you and we will be pals, I will give you the rest of my nice pressings. Then when I want to analogaudophile my brain, we can hang? I just bought an NAD cd player and it sounds great,(don't even know if I need or want an outboard DAC). All I know is I am finished with records. I remember the aggravation of cleaning dusting returning the album in the sleeve. Plus I have Tinnitus. I just need to sell my remaining Vinyl.

fishleehooker and jnovac1 like this.
  7. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Supporting Member

"Why do people buy crap vinyl", you ask? Sounds self explanatory to me. I don't usually speak publicly about this, but since you asked, my vinyl is used to protect my bedding during various watersporting ventures, but I think it would work just fine for protection against number 2 as well. I'm just not into that.

[​IMG]

8. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

:sarcasm:huh:jo

9. hacker

hacker Supporting Member

I have personally found many mint and quite a few sealed records from the 70s and 80s in local thrift stores. Last week I picked up an MFSL Waiting For Columbus in decent shape. I have discovered a lot of artists and bands that I never even heard of before that have become favorites. I have found stupidly rare records such as Sun Ra on the original Saturn label, Blue Note Jazz titles, etc. All these were priced at either 25 or 50 cents.

10. spence

spence Member

It all comes down to personal preference and opinion. I enjoy the ritual of spinning albums, as long as the vinyl is in good shape. I don't buy scratched worn out records. Condition means a lot to me, but maybe not to someone else. People with tin ears probably won't spend much on their gear because they can't hear the difference anyway, and I'll bet that most people have never heard a really great sounding system. People who buy scratched up records and cheap vintage gear are just having some fun. There's no law against having fun!

ZeyerGTR likes this.
  11. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

Certainly damaged records aren't worth listening to but (as another poster mentioned), you can usually take a quick look and see if it's scratched up. If they are too damaged I skip them.

But if you clean your records and are really careful about your cartridge selection, you can ameliorate *some* of the issues with used vinyl. I've had used records that wouldn't track very well, but sounded great once cleaned. I hate the process of cleaning them, but it does help.

I do understand why folks would rather just deal with CDs or downloaded files. It's a lot simpler. But there is a lot of good vinyl out there, still. I don't buy as much as I used to because a.) I already have too much and b.) the used prices have crept a bit high for my liking in many cases. If I really want a title, I'll grab it, but I don't buy it by the armload like I used to.

ZeyerGTR likes this.
  12. jnovac1

crap is in the eye of the beholder.

fishleehooker likes this.
  13. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Most often, crap is found in other areas of the beholder

14. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

I buy crap vinyl because:
    1) it's music I want to listen to, or something different I'll take a chance on if it's cheap enough.
    2) I don't particularly care about sound quality, vinyl to me is more about the experience and finding interesting, different music.

If it's unplayably scratched up then sure I'll pass, but even if it's just one track ruined or something then for $0.25 it might still be worth a purchase. I've gotten an awful lot of records for less than a buck that are in good condition. Used, but perfectly fine and enjoyable.

15. david57strat

david57strat Member

It's a good question.

Growing up, I had a lot of vinyl albums, and a ton of cassettes. Who didn't, back in the late Seventies/early Eighties?

Eight track tapes were on their way out, and replaced with audio cassettes - some blank, so you could record whatever you wanted.

I never owned an 8-track tape, but my dad did. He actually had an 8-track payer in the car, but not in the house - ever lol). He only had four tapes (Engelbert Humperdinck, Herb Albert, Dean Martin, and Guy Lombardo), and that was all that we ever listened to, in the car. He wasn't a true music enthusiast, like most of us are, though. He was very frugal, and I think he felt buying music was an extravagance. He eventually did cassette tapes, and often recorded his own, with a lot of stuff, taped off of the radio.

I kind of wish I still had my old vinyl albums (which I used to clean meticulously. The D3 stylus fluid, D4 discwasher system Zerostat gun, and the DStat Mats were my friends; and I always bought better, plastic-lined sleeve liners, to replace those awful paper liners) - but only for nostalgia's sake.

In some instances, certain albums were never re-issued, in a CD format; so they're pretty much priceless, at least, to the owner. In that instance, I would have possibly made the investment, if I had played the album so much that it was unreasonably worn; but not now. Too much of a pain, to maintain and house properly. Impossible to enjoy, on the road. At least CDs could be easily carried, in the car; but the advent of .mp3 players and decent audio enhancement apps (or car stereo receivers, with decent processing) made them listenable. The problem with that was, CDs could be stolen, and if you wanted to have hundreds (or thousands of songs) at your disposal, you had to carry a boatload of them, with you. Very inconvenient, and impractical.

I still have many hundreds of CDs, but I switched over to mp3, in the car, for the convenience. Everything's on my phone and my iPad Mini. I used to use this Sonic Max Pro app,which worked wonders for the sound, in many ways, but now I've had to resort to sticking with the default Apple player - which I absolutely hate, but is more compatible with my car stereo, when connected via Blue Tooth - ever since IOS 10 was released :-(. For a while, I used my iPad Mini, with an older version of IOS, but that eventually became incompatible, as well.

mp3 files sound like shi* (at lease, compared to their CD counterparts), unless some enhancements are made to them. They're too compressed, lacking in bass, sterile-sounding, etc. - much like FM radio (sounds squashed) - which I almost never listen to, unless I'm on my way to a job site with my boss (He seems to like listening to the radio. It sucks, but what can you do?). I can't deal with the radio (****ing DJs, commercials, edited songs, only Top 40 music, super limited other music, static, drop-outs....)

I guess I feel the same, about vinyl, as I do about film photography. No offense to you filmheads, out there.

I am not a professional photographer, by any stretch of the imagination lol. That's for damned sure. But, I love taking pictures. I gave up on film, back in 1999, and have never looked back, or regretted it. I like the convenience of (still) shooting in manual, but being able to take hundreds of shots, and just pick out a handful of them that I actually like, without the expense of film, the waiting on the processing time, all the equipment and chemicals (if I were to do it, myself).

Being able to edit them, to my whims (if needed), and on-the-fly, is a plus. The ability to share them, with anyone in the world (that has a halfway-decent internet connection), in moments - better, still. The convenience of being able to catalog and backup all of that on an external drive - priceless.

That's my 25 cents' worth (with inflation, and all). Your mileage may vary, and that's fine.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 4:45 PM
  16. spence

spence Member

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

jnovac1 likes this.
  17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    I’ve seen lots of great condition old records for sale here in New Mexico and in Colorado for wicked cheap prices

18. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Tangent alert!

I had to laugh (or LOL) when I saw the "taped off the radio" comment. I used to do that too. Didn't have much money back then, too young to really work, so....

At first, I recorded using a portable cassette player - which pretty much ensured I'd get background noise (doors closing, floor creaks, etc.). Later, when I started working and got a stereo I was able to record directly to the cassette deck (one of the components).

Radio, back then, especially FM, had some great commercial free shows and they'd do things like play an entire album side when something new came out. It was a cheap way to get music.

Funny - +50 years and I can sit on my deck with an iphone connected to a bose speaker and play whatever I want.

OK, back to the regular thread...btw, I like vinyl, even crap vinyl, mostly for nostalgic reasons.

ZeyerGTR likes this.
  19. rickt

rickt Member

Anyone raised on earbuds does not have any idea of what quality analog sounds like and, thus, doesn't understand why one would listen to a record on a turntable through loudspeakers powered by an archaic tube amp. There is a warmness and lush quality to vinyl which one cannot find in a digital representation of that analog source.

20. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

same reason they buy $5 DVDs of old movies....
    they think they are getting a great deal.