• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why do people buy relics? And a huge neck afterthought...

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
Well, I finally found the answer myself. I purchased my first relic, a CS 60's strat with a Nocaster size neck in Daphne blue. I would say it is lightly relic'd. Still has finish on the neck, although very thin. All the other normal relicing nicks & cracks, etc...

This pic is not the actual guitar (I'll get some this week) but looks exactly like mine. I bought a "No Neck" CS strat from the Music Zoo.

I have always been in the "play it and relic it yourself" camp. But I think I've converted.

All I can say that this is one of the best strats I have ever played. It just feels right and the relicing has a big part in that. It sounds even better.

I think the huge neck has a LOT to do with it too. Very confortable to play and a huge joy to play.

I've been a LP player for years and could never bond with strats. Had an EJ and liked that neck but I just don't care for the maple fingerboard. So I think I've found everything I've been looking for in a strat, lightweight, rosewood board, huge neck, bigger frets, 9.5" fretboard radius, and RELIC'D!

Whatever the reason people buy relics, I say if you are skeptical play a few. I've certainly changed my mind. I love 'em.

:BEER

-Rich

Kappy

Congrats on the guitar, looks like a killer! I'm picking up the '57 sonic blue (over burst) limited edition version (all maple neck) on Friday. Can't freakin' wait!

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I'm mainly a tele guy but that thing is beauty-ful!

I'm always tempted when I go to Dave's and see those models on the wall.

A mere 2500 and I could have one!

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
Know the feeling...I'm almost all relics now

like a fade pair of blue jeans....

trying to set up direct deposit with Daves now :)

buddastrat

Looks awesome! I'm trying my best to stay away from them nonecks. That that GAS devil is tempting me.

pfflam

I think relics are derivative and uncreative and sort of kitschy, like fake stressed furniture that only fits in a double-wide trailer decorated with Corinthian columns and roco grapevines: trying to make the trailer seem 'classy'

. . . but with that said, that guitar looks just like a nice guitar; simply a style choice, doesn't look like its faking anything. I'd like it more without the fake nicks and scratches . . . I just love those colors, especially the faded green pickgaurd: looks beautiful with the blue

Mike Duncan

Staff member
I have always been interested in a Relic, but never had the cash to buy one. I've been a one Strat guy since '93, every new Strat I've bought has been sold off pretty fast. Now that I've bought a Relic, it's like having a pre-made best friend! I love it! Shallow? So what.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Personally, I buy a Strat for its tone & feel and will always buy the best one of the bunch reliced or not. However, if all else is equal, I would not pay extra for the relicing.

Having said that, here's my "No neck" '60 relic Strat.....one of the best modern Strats I've ever laid my hands on:

buddastrat

I think relics are derivative and uncreative and sort of kitschy, like fake stressed furniture that only fits in a double-wide trailer decorated with Corinthian columns and roco grapevines: trying to make the trailer seem 'classy'

. . . but with that said, that guitar looks just like a nice guitar; simply a style choice, doesn't look like its faking anything. I'd like it more without the fake nicks and scratches . . . I just love those colors, especially the faded green pickgaurd: looks beautiful with the blue

It's weird I've always been around used, and old guitars. I feel comfortable with the relic style finishes. I don't even think of it as "faking anything". Just a cool faded finish. Just like buying prewashed or faded jeans instead of new, stiff ones. I always hated new jeans when I was a kid. I'd bug my mom to wash them 100 times before I'd wear them. I guess it's the same with guitars.

I hate a new shiny or flamey guitar- too Vegas. Like a PRS or super flame topped LP is gawdy to me or else I need a rhinestone suit or something. To each his own.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
fzfwyv, I have a near twin to yours, but mine is a Nash '60s S-type in daphne blue.

I don't go gaga over the relicing, but I love the guitar because it is the greatest feeling/playing/sounding strat I have ever played. There really is no other reason. It is just an incredible guitar.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Although I never liked relics much, I didn't care that someone else would want one. Cheesy for sure, but that's their choice.

However, I've been sort of looking around for a CS Tele and I'm so sick and tired of seeing beatiful CS shop Strats and Teles that have been hit with bike chains.

I just don't see how anyone can say that the nicks and scratches improve the tone and playability of a guitar. They can make the neck worn and comfortable feeling without beating up the guitar for cosmetic purposes.

I'd be embarrassed to play one, but it seems like the CS shop is doing more relics than non-relics, now. I can ding up my own guitar.

At some point the relic craze is going to fall into the "what were we thinking?" category. Also, how are people going to rank the condition of a 20 year old relic. You'll have two stages of wear and tear and the "relic" wear is going to look really bad by then in comparison to the *honest* wear.

And yes, I think new "distressed" furniture is horrible, too.

Fender is luaghing all the way to the bank on this one.

Reverb

Platinum Supporting Member
Personally, I buy a Strat for its tone & feel and will always buy the best one of the bunch reliced or not. However, if all else is equal, I would not pay extra for the relicing.

Having said that, here's my "No neck" '60 relic Strat.....one of the best modern Strats I've ever laid my hands on:

What does the "No Neck" refer to??

lamenlovinit

What VaughanC said... While I personally do think going specifically shopping for relics is goofy, I am totally for buying the best playing and sounding guitar in the shop you can afford (playabillity before sound for me). Whether its a relic, or even shell pink :crazyguy I don't spend in that price range so I won't have that dilema, but If I was going to spend around 2K, I would be picking up every guitar between $1,500 and 2,400 in the shop or shops in my vicinity... AVRI, NOS, Relic, heck even Gibson!:D

Glowing Tubes

Silver Supporting Member
Cheesy?
I dont think so...
Passing Fad... I doubt it.

Dont knock it until you try it.
I didnt care either way, relic or non relic until I got my Senn Tele that was relic'd...
It's got a feel like you've found home, a guitar that's comfortable to play instantly and no concern about that new guitar first ding syndrome... In other words, its here to be played, not some show piece. I'm a believer now.

If you are more comfortable with a guitar, you will probably play it better.
Relic's are more comfortable.

Relics are better. LOL

Especially PINK ones.

Trending Topics