Why do people describe Timmy as "gritty"?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by utterhack, Jan 8, 2008.

1. utterhack

utterhack Member

Is it because they fear the knobs labeled "Bass" and "Treble" :confused:

Because there's nothing inherently gritty about Timmy. Timmy can be super-smooooooth and chirpy if you actually use the tone controls.

Paul's EQ is deceptively simple and allows a range of frequencies to pass through the gain stage that would have any self-respecting, white-coated Japanese audio engineer to out on the ledge. The Maxon dudes didn't give the TS a mid-hump for no reason. The power is in your hands, people. Use it wisely. But don't tell me Timmy is "a gritty boost" or that the overdrive has a "gritty" character. Just turn them knobs clockwise and goodbye your grit.

2. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

+100 on that, Paul told me the Tim or Timmy can really shine as a flat clean eq boost to the original signal. I am finding fantastic sounds by stacking a Landgraff LDO or MO'D and just using the TIM as a boost to the original tone.

The Tim kicks it on the early marshall crunch tones as well, I find it has plenty of gain. It made me sell my LP purple plexi.

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

It think it's probably mostly as you said people not using those treble and bass cuts properly, but there is always a little bit of the clean tone present in the Timmy signal which compared to different style & more compressed overdrives some people may call "gritty" or "grainy"..

I've talked to Paul about this...I'm sure he can do a much better job of explaining it!

The Timmy has the ability to be a lot of things with use of the controls and DIP switches...and lets not even get into opamp swapping!

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

5. sandman

sandman Member

+100000000000

Just what I thought when I got the Tim...

Another thing I'd like to add: it does work great into clean amps.

6. woude

woude Member

I come to love that it's possible to dial in a grainy/gritty tone. lately I've discovered some very nice smooth leadtones not unlike knopfler / gilmour on their latest cds. Very very nice. This pedal is a keeper.

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

IMO The texture of the distortion on the timmy is gritty. If you try to smooth it out by rolling off the treble it becomes too muted. Hence, to my ears, the grittiness is an inherent feature of the timmy sound. I dig the grit. I have other pedals that are inherently smooth like a TS. A/B these pedals and the difference in texture is obvious.

8. sandman

sandman Member

Yeah, nicely put...Good for me I like it girthy :D

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Bingo. It is inherently gritty. That's the nature of the gain... it's not fizzy, or fine, or smooth, or ratty, or tweedish, or aggressive... it's gritty. Rolling off the treble or bass only EQ's the inherent grittiness.

10. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

The "gritty" quality is something that I really like about the Tim/Timmy. To me, it has to do with how it's not compressed and the attack stays very crisp....it doesn't mush out like lots of od's tend to do, and thus can be heard very clearly in the mix. It think it's one of the reason that the pedal is mentioned so often as a great rhythm od...lots of OD's give you a great lead sound but can sound too compressed or congested with chords. The EQ system helps with this too...cutting instead of boosting eq seems to work better in terms of dialing in just the right sound. Paul knew what he was doing when he designed this pedal.

11. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

And to think I came this close to selling mine! I'm using mine towards the end of my signal chain(only my DM-2 is after) and it brings out the best in all of my pedals.

12. hbentley

hbentley Member

this thing has more sounds in it then you think at first. the eq takes some getting used to.

13. utterhack

utterhack Member

But what if you smooth it out by rolling off the bass? (a fixed bass-rolloff is what makes e.g. the TS "inherently" smooth...)

This seems more like a user preference (which is great!) than the nature of the beast.

14. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Well it is gritty. Depends on your guitar and amp. Like most Vox type amps sound like they have a lot of bite. BUT the boost channel has this tone knob that rolls of the high and brings out the bass that really smoothes out the sound. With my Heritage (les paul type) it's uber smooth. But with my G&L it seems to be aggressive, not "smokey" enough for me if that makes any sense. Hey the Tim/timmy is a different flavor, if chocolate is not your thing try vanilla.

15. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Try diff op-amps.

1458: SMOOTHER

Burr Brown 2604A: GRITTY to the third power, and great for turning it into a bluesier pedal.