Why do people here on TGP keep talking about guitar dying??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by metropolis_4, Mar 12, 2019.

1. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

you go to a back yard party every week end? really. how about high school kids,
    are the cops being called every weekend because of the noise?

if anything i would think the young kids would hire a dj. not a guitar based band?

2. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

No, I don't go to a back yard party every weekend but house parties occur around here every weekend (yes, bands with guitars).

You seem skeptical of information that contradicts your assertion. I assure you it occurs with regularity in these parts.

3. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i'll take your word for it. out here in the land of milk and honey things are not the same as they use to be. when i was 20 my friend had a local bar, he had music 5 6 sometimes 7 days a week. there was a bar right next store to him same thing, also a bar next to that one.

we have a jam session every week. but that is not the same as having a week long gig
    at the same venue. things have changed.

4. carlosmucho

carlosmucho Member

The "guitar is dying" crowd is all emotion and no evidence. Look at the actual charts from the 60's/70's. They're not dominated by the guitar heros and rock gods, they're dominated by pop crap, same as today. People remember the good stuff and filter out the bad. And, in any case, there's still plenty of guitar in pop music today.

Greta Van Fleet won best new artist at this year's grammy's. H.E.R. won best new album and played with a custom Strat at the show. Bruno Mars plays a guitar live. Taylor Swift plays guitar. Sean Mendes plays guitar. Perhaps you've heard of John Mayer. Post Malone plays guitar. Gaga's band has a guitarist. Anderson Paak's band has a guitarist who takes plenty of solos. Janelle Monae's band has a guitarist. Childish Gambino's band has a guitarist. Some of Arianna Grande's biggest hits have prominent guitar parts. Justin Beiber's last big hit (IIRC) "Love yourself" has a prominent guitar part. All this just off the top of my head, and I barely listen to pop stuff...

If you want to talk guitar virtuosos, there are more virtuosos today then there were before, they put out more albums, and they've pushed the envelope further (since they stand on the shoulders of giants). New Aristocrats album is being recorded right now. Julian Lage just put out an album. Andy Wood just put out an album. Mark Lettieri just put out an album. Josh Smith comes out with an album later this year. Jonathan Kreisberg put out a great guitar duo album last year. I'm sure there are dozens more.

There are more guitars and guitarists in the world today than there ever were before, and they're playing better than ever.

Come at me, bro.

haslar, BriSol, Thedude99 and 6 others like this.
  5. PRW

PRW Member

I don't think guitar is dying in any shape, form or fashion.

I think people who say it is can't get past the notion that the sounds/usage of the guitar that they think is the default ... i.e., late '60s and early to mid '70s blooze and classic hard rock ... isn't the default anymore and will never be the default ever, ever, EVER again (despite GVF's Grammy).

But there is freaking guitar all over today's music, as you stated. Of course if someone thinks that every note of today's music is garbage and ignores it, and remains convinced that the only true righteous guitar sounds are the ones that were made, say, between 1967 and 1975 or so ...

tenchijin2, Litterick and hudpucker like this.
  6. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Member

Do you think this is a conversation solely between you and I? This is a public internet message board.

L2Internet.

7. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Member

So...sounds like you agree, then, that the guitar is dying. lol.

8. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

9. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Member

That's an important distinction to make. When most people say "dying" they don't actually mean the guitar will go away and never be heard from again. They're just saying its role in popular music is greatly diminished compared to what its role has been in the past. People spouting off artists who make mostly electronic music, but throw a guitar in here and there, prove the point.

Spider Mark likes this.
  10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Guitar players have grown much more than One could have possibly imagined ...
    Consequently, there is more guitar based music than ever before ...

Fred Farkus, PRW and fusgtr like this.
  11. PRW

PRW Member

Uh, not really, unless someone thinks the type of music I mentioned ... which isn't dying, either, it's just not going to rule the roost or the charts ever again or be the default ever again except at The Gear Page ... is the only reason someone would plug in an electric guitar.

Again, as people have said repeatedly, the world is brimming over with guitar-based music right now. It's just not THAT kind of guitar-based music.

12. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I once had a 13 year old student tell me there's no good music anymore. I spent the entire lesson showing him new awesome songs I had heard that year. People believe what they want. I'll be over here listening to new music, mostly with guitars.

tenchijin2 likes this.
  13. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

Therein lies part of the problem. Along with market segmentation, society is over-saturated with music right now. I have a lot of online musician friends who are putting out music, seemingly all the time. I can't keep up with it. And I'm on my own musical trip of discovery anyway. And I can't keep up with *that*, because I'm making my own music too. Everybody and his brother are making music right now. So I sort of end up tunneling into things I like without getting exposed as much to other new things that I might also like. So I listen to a lot of new (to me) stuff but I know there's a lot of other stuff I miss too. There's only so much time in the day.

BriSol and Lucidology like this.
  14. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

You directly responded to a post I made, and used the words "You" and "Your".

Fair enough to assume that might have meant me?

That's probably true. Good point

15. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Yeah, guitar driven music is pretty much belly up. I've decided to take up violin, instead.:)

16. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

From https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/05/10/electric-guitar-sales/ That increase could be based on a number of factors. For starters, the acoustic guitar category includes a lot of sub-categories, including banjos, dobros, and mandolins. Importantly, it doesn’t include ukuleles, which have reportedly been booming, but mega-successes like Mumford & Sons may be spurring greater interest in other non-electrified fretted instruments.

Online activity can be deceptive, especially if its our personal interest, and isn't what we hear in everyday walking around and such. I mean, look at all the Kazoo videos on YouTube! Kazoo is booming!

17. BriSol

BriSol Member

Makes sense. The "crisis" to me, if there is one, is not that rock and guitar is dying, but in fact that it's become an oversaturated market. Everyone and their sister "has a band" whether they are good or not, and they're all mostly competing over an ever-dwindling pool of resources and for the privilege of playing at an ever-dwindling amount of venues, most of which ends up being neighborhood bars.

This generally lowers the value of musician's efforts long-term, leading to less pay, and otherwise involving situations where certain acts (especially pre-established, older ones) more or less have a monopoly on the local music market due to their connection with the bar owners.

It also tends to push out original acts and people doing more risky or edgy material in favor of "easy money" gigs that don't rock the boat and please 40-60 aged white people, which generally means the market gets dominated by classic rock and blues cover bands with interchangeable setlists, or stuff like 80's tribute acts where people are professional Motley Crue impersonators.

Fred Farkus likes this.
  18. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Member

Normally people quote your post if they're responding directly to you or something you said.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 2:03 AM
  19. Eman Resu

Eman Resu Member

What does any of that have to do with white people? Other races don't like live music? Wow, I never knew.

Or are you saying white people only like boring music that doesn't "rock the boat"?

Matt L likes this.
  20. n9ne

n9ne Member

The guitar will always be around as a viable instrument...but there's no question that new guitar-centric music no longer plays a prominent role in pop culture, nor is it front and center in the public consciousness. These days, guitar-oriented bands/artists can only dream of moving millions of units the way bands did 20-30 years ago.

And that's fine. It's the evolution of culture. Guitar-oriented music had a really great run for a long, long time....but rock and roll as we once knew it is no longer a young man's game. These days, guitar-oriented rock bands are more likely to be comprised of fathers and grandfathers in their 30s-40s-50s. Heck, maybe there is a strong movement of young guitar-oriented bands out there.....but if there is, I'm not seeing it.

That's not to say kids aren't interested in guitar anymore; of course they are. But there once was a time where every red-blooded teenager dreamed of strapping on a guitar and one day becoming a rock star....and while I'm sure there are still plenty of kids with that dream, they represent a much smaller segment of the population than they did 20 years ago. Kids just have so many more options now with technology that either didn't exist or was in its infancy 20 years ago.

It's not a matter of it being a good thing or bad thing; it's just evolution.

ellis dee, Eman Resu and Matt L like this.