why do people not like rifstawn?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ashe, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

it doesn't make much sense to me, i know that rifstawn is much more structurally sound and stable than plainsawn wood, so why do guitar people hate on it so much?

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

It's not hate, it's just preference. It tends to sound brighter and bends tend to feel a bit stiffer.

3. serial

serial Member

Really?! People who complain about the way wood is cut as affecting tone most likely are guys who are completely clueless about how to play, what tone is, and probably use words like "mojo" and "vibe".

I would bet the farm that no one can make a to al distinction between riftsawn or quartersawn wood. A lot of Internet hype that is completely insignificant. If this were simply a discussion (theoretical of course) about which cut retained structural integrity, fine, but that's a lot of overblown Internet talk too.

PLAY your guitar (or spend time learning how) rather than nitpick stuff that doesn't make a discernible difference.

4. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

There have been tests of acoustic bracewood in the Guild of American Luthiers journal years back comparing the stiffness of flatsawn, riftsawn and quartersawn spruce. Riftsawn was the weakest and surprisingly, the flatsawn was quite stiff and comparable to the quartered stock.

That said, the quartered wood was the most stable.

It may be apples and oranges, but at least it was a controlled experiment to actually find out how different cuts from the same board would behave under tension.

For most purposes, it probably doesn't matter.

5. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

thanks :) i'm trying to find that article now. i already use quarter sawn for necks and bodies, and flatsawn for tips (for the ribbon figures ;) )

6. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

As a builder......it all comes down to the customer, and what THEY want. Players have a "connection" to their instrument, regardless of Skill Level. Like it or not, that connection starts between the ears; what they want the guitar to be built from and how its constructed.

And regardless of your contempt towards players who use terms like "mojo" or "vibe"....your opinion means nothing when it comes to who is signing the check.

7. serial

serial Member

You mistake amusement for contempt, sir.

8. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

9. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

Some of the best sounding guitars I've played were rift sawn.

10. Luke V

Luke V Member

I've rift on many kinds of necks and didn't even care how it's sawn. :hide

11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I was adrift in another mindless afternoon wasted on the internet till I came across this...

12. Malinoski

Malinoski everything wrong possible

[​IMG]

All wood will move-
    quarter sawed and flat sawed in a more predictable manner,
    rift sawed not so predictable.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Someone has mistaken the two, best I can tell. :confused:

14. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Well, none of it is worth a damn if you don't have pixie dust on your saw blade.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

About guitar necks with truss rods, where I see people seeking out quartersawn and riftsawn maple:

The flatsawn wood will expand and contract, when subjected to changes in humidity and temperature, along the same plane as the truss rod is designed to manage and control. Riftsawn and Quartersawn expand and contract along other axes. When they eventually do expand or contract, the truss rod assembly is often inadequate to keep this movement in bounds - you can get a neck that is "running out" so the side of the neck is curved as compared to the string running near its edge. Or the neck can twist. And the truss rod is just not able to prevent this.

Now if a neck is to be built with no truss rod, I would just as soon the grain run at right angles to the grain on my usual, flat sawn, truss rodded necks. The stiffness of the wood - countering the tension of the strings, is probably not a bad idea at all. But keep the neck super fat and fairly wide for good measure. :^)

By the way, no offense meant, but what is it now with everyone we disagree with "hating" on things. I really am no fan of this expression at all. No need to put us on the "Wanted - Dead or Alive" list just because we see some technical things a little different, I say.

Signed.

No Love for the casual use of the H word, unless you hate pickled beets or something. :cool:

16. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

To my ears, on a Strat, rift or quarter sawn necks tend to sound "hard" (for lack of a better term). But, when it comes to wood, trends aren't necessarily 100% true across the board, and Strats are sensitive to the sum of their parts. However, the better sounding Strats I've played in 40+ years in the game happened to be flat sawn. Coincidence? Yup, on paper, rift or quarter sawn would seem like a better choice for a guitar neck...but tone is very important to me. So, I don't think much about the neck cut and believe in what my own ears & hands tell me about each individual guitar ;).

17. faithman2k

faithman2k Member

I have used flat sawn and quarter sawn. I could not discern any difference in sound. For a feel perspective, the thickness of the neck and the types of frets make more of a difference than the cut of wood in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  18. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I'm with you and even on the pickled beets too.

I have never chosen or sought out a guitar based on the cut of it's neck.

On the quartersawn I have played some that were hard as well as others that were very musical and sweet.
    Likely the majority of my favorites over the years have been flatsawn.
    As always it goes back to that particular piece.

19. patentcad

patentcad Member

This thread will cause a rift on GP.

20. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

lol ^.^

i guess its a good thing that all my guitar necks have graphite reinforcement rods and dual action truss rods?

yay me :)