Why do people say Telecasters show a player's true ability?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Family Man, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Family Man

Family Man Silver Supporting Member

FWIW, I did search this in various forms and didn't find any relevant threads.

I've seen dozens of times here, in interviews, and in magazine articles where the claim is made that Telecasters "expose" a players weaknesses and true ability.

I own a Telecaster and play it fairly frequently. I suck at playing my other guitars just as much as I do playing the Telecaster.

So what's up with the saying?

2. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

I think it’s the Tele’s responsiveness and clarity that reveal just how good a player is, although that goes out the window if you add tons of gain.

3. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

It is a strangely pervasive assertion. My guess is it's probably Telecaster players who either want to feel better about themselves ("I play the tough guitar!") or want an excuse for their own poor playing ("It's not that I'm terrible at guitar, it's just that I use a Tele so you can hear all my mistakes!") j/k ;)

I've never bought it. I can reveal or hide my terrible playing with any guitar. :D

665, deadbeat son, MmcGrouty and 54 others like this.
  4. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

Yeah, I think it's just that you hear a lot more artifacts from your playing on a Telecaster than you would say a Les Paul. It doesn't really mean someone is a lesser or greater player at all.

5. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

People say all sort of things, don’t believe everything you hear....

CapnRex, Barnzy, sxcustom and 42 others like this.
  6. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

I've never heard someone say that...

Barnzy, sxcustom, speakerdad and 18 others like this.
  7. McGTR

McGTR Member

Country players might claim that in order to reinforce their own sense of identity..

Grad, 665, sxcustom and 16 others like this.
  8. TaoInMotion

TaoInMotion Member

Because it's total and complete nonsense.

The setup on the guitar is the single most important element in terms of how "hard" it is to play and how likely it is to expose weaknesses. That's true for every single style ... acoustic or electric.

edro, sxcustom, Mr.db and 15 others like this.
  9. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Yeah there are just way too many people, including myself, that sound quite lame on any guitar. Can’t buy the idea that somehow a Tele reveals weaknesses, but on another guitar the same person sounds awesome.

Put any player (with their favorite guitar) on stage with great players in that same genre for song after song. May only take a few bars of the first song, or may just take one or two songs, and a player’s abilities will be readily apparent.

Wyzard likes this.
  10. Jedi

Jedi Member

Over the years it has been said in the guitar community that you had to have your chops down to play a Tele as your main axe because it exposed your playing more than other guitars. I guess on some level it could have merit, but any F-style guitar I believe would fall into the same category. Guitars with a shorter scale like Gibson have always been touted as easier to play and because of the higher output of humbuckers were more forgiving. YMMV

By the way, many artist over the years including Jeff beck have made the comment that a players personality comes through more with single-coil pickups vs humbuckers. I have to say that to my ears there is some truth in that. Of course there are exceptions to everything. YMMV

11. Jim Holloway

Jim Holloway Silver Supporting Member

I've heard that and been curious about it as well. Could it have anything to do with Telecasters being prevalent in country music?

johnnyjj and plextasy like this.
  12. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

13. Jedi

Jedi Member

Elitism? A Telecaster does not = elitist. :facepalm A Tele would be the last guitar to be given that title. LOL.

14. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Jeff Beck never sounded as good as he did using Les Pauls and humbucker guitars. I think his single coil tone, specifically his strat tone is dreadful and I'm not even a humbucker guy.

Sidmore, Billy_B and Daniel Travis like this.
  15. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

I think the type of guitar somebody uses is overrated...I've got tons of guitars, of all different flavors, and when I play with the band, I can use most any of them and still sound like me. I say pick what you like, feels good and what you're in the mood for...and play.

DrJamie, ZMoney, drlucky and 4 others like this.
  16. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

Thinking you're better for playing on one is elitism hands down.

Grad, UnbrokenChainz, Barnzy and 26 others like this.
  17. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I think it’s mostly just because back in the old days you couldn’t distort most amps with a telecaster. Like distortion was literally a humbucker through a dimed amp. So people associated single coils with clean clarity

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Someone said it.

Despite being meaningless horseshit, it was repeated by 7 different dudes in their underwear. Which in turn was repeated 1000x.

At which point it was a “thing”, apparently.

19. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I've never heard that. Any guitar will show one's ability.
    But that can easily be masked with effects and overdrive.

uberpict and 61cygni like this.
  20. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member