Why do so many bedroom players have such nice amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Is it because your rich? Is it because you have a problem like amps are crack?

I can certainly understand buying a really nice low watt amp for home use, but I've seen some people that don't gig or do studio work with some of the most ridiculous rigs ever.

My question is WHY?????:NUTS

IPH

2. Matt F

Matt F Member

And I have a Harley that sits in the garage :jo .

But I see your point. I can also see their point as well. Freedom to buy and choose to play whatever your heart desires and your pocketbook can afford. :)

But it's mostly because it's crack :rotflmao

3. Mike ODS50

Mike ODS50 Member

Why shouldn't a bedroom player have great tone....It can be a hobby too you know. That's like asking, why people buy 500 hp Corvettes to drive them on the street.

I play for two different Christian rock bands and I gig at least once if not twice a week. I want great tone, and reliable equipment, just like a bedroom player wants great tone and gear that does not break.

4. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

You mean people with the 50-watt Marshalls and 4X12 cabs in their bedroom? Hehe...I've seen some of those pics in the thread where people were showing off their rig. There was one pic were the TGPer barely had any living space and most of it was taken up by gear. That's crazy.

All I have is my Star Nova, Zendrive, and Eternity. Looking for a nice delay and that's about it for me. I'm just a bonus room hobbyist so as much as GAS for all these cool Komets and Two Rocks, I'm never going to get them. Most I do is trick out my Star Nova.

I figure some of these folks with the crazy rigs must live somewhere where there is alot of property between neighbors. Maybe in the midwest or something hehe.

5. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Because its monday tomorrow and it will probably be another **** day at a job that never ends. Any joy that you can put into your life however you chose to do that makes it all possible. The wind in your hair or the sound of a great amp with the three chords you know allows you to escape the burden of your humanity. It beats holding your life in your hands and seeing that it was made by the lowest bidder.
    Rob

6. Mike ODS50

Mike ODS50 Member

Nice.:rotflmao

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

because we/they can.

btw, I keep my amps in the basement. ;)

8. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Jealousy is really ugly.

9. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

You sound a little pissed about it. I am more surprised at people that have great gear that can't even play. I myself have more gear than I need, although I am also in two bands and write a lot of material. But why be so judgmental? At the very least its better than collecting action figures, old telephones or beanie babies!

10. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Not meaning to attack anyone, but want to make clear that the "pissed" comment refers to the original poster.

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Hey Hey Hey........now I'M pissed!!!!!! :Devil

:D

12. mprvise

mprvise Member

I'll admit it does kind of freak me out when I see all these great amps in the emporium and the ads say "never gigged." Never gigged? WTF??? But to each his/her own. Some people think I'm nuts when I show up to a club gig with my Two-Rock. But hey, it puts a smile on my face.

As for neighbors, that's one reason I live next to a highway. It provides all the white noise I need outside so I can make all the guitar noise I want inside. :dude Now the guys with 4x12's who don't gig and live in an apartment... :NUTS ;)

13. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

Perhaps because having great equipment makes you aspire to play up to that level. Perhaps because it inspires you.

14. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Not pissed, just curious. I actually make a living playing music. It's my ONLY job and I don't have half of the stuff I see in some people's bedrooms.

Of course small amps are cool, but when someone has a Dual Rec 1/2 stack or Marshall Super Lead sitting around and they never gig with it, what's the purpose?

All I'm saying is why not buy a smaller amp that does those same tones and leave the big toys to the big boys??

IPH

P.S. I'm glad this thread created so many responses. My job is done. :moon

15. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

16. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I don't gig my halfstack, but I do jam with friends as well as with my girlfriend who's a drummer. The reason I don't have a small combo is because I hate the way they sound. I've yet to play a combo that comes close to the tone of a 100w tube head into a 4x12 cab.

I'm a professional artist and wouldn't talk smack about some weekend painter buying expensive brushes, canvas, paper, pencils or paint. If you can afford some nice gear for your hobby I say awesome! If you're a pro musician and you can't afford a few nice pieces of gear maybe you should reconsider your skills or stop spending your cash on hookers and blow.

stahlhart likes this.
  17. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Because I can. Because I like to record and jam and have fun, and good gear inspires me to play better. I don't like crappy tone or mechanical failures to get in the way of my creativity. I would also like to get out there and gig again at some point, so I'm ready to go at any venue I might ever/never play.Right now it's a hobby and a passion, and I have fun. :p

18. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Now that's a cheap shot. I spend all my cash on gambling and alcohol.

Seriously, I have invested quite a bit in not only guitars, amps and effects, but I have a full blow Pro Tools rig, recording booth, mic pres, compressors, keyboards, MPC2500, etc.

I'm sorry if I got some of you upset, but all I asked was why. Please don't hate me........I should be spanked. :Spank

19. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

By the way, I LOVE HIP HOP!!!!!!!

IPH

20. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

If it's not one, it's the other!

:rotflmao

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.