Why do so many of us use amps at all?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rollyfoster, Sep 20, 2006.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I'm considering dropping the amp and shoving my guitar cable directly up my drummer's bum bum. maybe he'll listen to what i'm doing, for a change

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

3. go7

go7 Member

Remeber, European drummers are on 220 volt. N.A. drummers are 110 volt.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

If he LETS you do that without buying him dinner and a movie, then you're in good shape.

5. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I actually tried that once and he stopped showing up for gigs.

6. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Just be careful of the drummer that requests you make that transition...

7. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've wanted to do that with a bassist before. Something tells me the tone won't be as good as a Pignose amp and will be missing that warm tune glow.

8. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

You better hope he doesn't want to cuddle after the gig.

9. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

10. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Supporting Member

The snow of Cleveland Ohio and sun of Daytona Bch
    After last weekend I'm refusing to play again with the other guitar player until he either gets rid of the Johnson modeling amp he's playing thru or learns how to use it. By the end of the gig his sound was nothing more than loud and obnoxious - worse than any drummer or bass player.

11. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

:rotflmao

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Assimilated by the Bose Collective, eh?

13. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah, it doesn't work too well when drummers and guitar players don't understand each other in general. You end up getting a really bad chemistry that shows onstage.

14. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Of course, I realize that this thread is largely meant to be funny. But I have often wondered why there is so much animosity between player groups. I mean guitar players hate drummers, keyboard players hate guitar players, everyone hates the vocalist:D etc.

But seriously, I have always enjoyed other instruments. Maybe it is because I played both guitar and horn for so many years and as a result I could "see how the other half lived". But even as a kid I was really fascinated by most any instrument, especially drums. Watching Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show was as cool as seeing some guitar player.

I do lots of different styles of gigs, many with orchestra, and I always treat other players with respect even if they don't reciprocate. However, I suppose a few loud drummers in one's gigging history can do a lot to turn that respect into disdain. I guess I have been lucky to play with mostly empathetic players.

Terry

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

16. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

In an Orchestra Individual players know their place and they make beautiful music, so, we don't play in orchestra's, why, instead of reading scores, can't we concentrate on the key elements of the song? The beginning, verses, chorus or refrain, any bridges, solo verses and turn around and signals that get you in longer, or out of trouble sooner, back to the song and outro? when your playing with the wrong people little helps, but good communication development and consensus decisions weed out most bad experiences before the develop and should be worked on before picking up an instrument, unless of course it comes out of a successful Jam, then by all means enjoy the experience and later, destroy the chemistry with issues.:rolleyes:

All teams need leaders and all leaders need teams, so talk about the issues and the goals and move on, or just move on.

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Bose L1 System's work very well

18. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

So you can live up to the soundman's expectation that guitarists are too loud before you've even turned it on.

:)

Once I played a small bar gig with a Tweed Champ. The soundman asked me, quite patronizingly, if "I was going to tell him it was only 15W", but said I would still be too loud.

I told him it was only 3W. He still said I was too loud :rolleyes:.

Now I use a 100W amp for small bar gigs, it saves arguments. Don't need to go through no stinkin' PA.

;)

19. GDking

GDking Member

LOL that is too funny man.

There was this house sound guy at a regular gig I had years ago he was a real jerk like your guy. Really condescending and rude. Huge on opinion and small on end results type guy and the journey to get to the mediocre result was a horrible experience in itself.

At any rate one time I was on break and he was going on and on about how he has the worst luck ever with people spilling drinks in his board which he places far away from the crowd and the dance floor etc and how the heck does this keep happening.

I just asked him if he considered the fact that maybe it was a direct result of his condescending ass comments. Karma at best vandalism at worst.