Why do so many players hate this kind of vibrato? ("Wide, shredder vibrato")

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dreamspace, Feb 9, 2012.

1. dreamspace

dreamspace Member

Whenever someone posts Slower Yngwie pieces (and Players like him), half of the players goes directly on to attacking his vibrato.

To be honest, I think Yngwie has one of the best and most recognizable vibrato in the biz...along with many other "Shredders" that also share the wide range vibrato.

2. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I fired a guy for having wide vibrato. It sounds out of tune to me.

3. sws1

sws1 Member

I counted. 11 secs until the first typical, super fast, and IMO, forced lick.

I like his vibrato.

4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

:agree

5. kimock

kimock Member

Hate is much too strong a word for it.
    I've met Yngwie, hung out with him, he's a really sweet guy and a great player, but that vibrato is comically out of tune.
    I don't know if he's going for operatic or what, but it's over the top in a non- musical way.

6. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I love his vibrato. The note he hits at 6:41 in this clip is just stunningly perfect, IMO. That one is truely operatic. Maybe he goes a little overboard at times with it (Yngwie?? NO!!!!!), but it really sounds great most of the time-

7. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

Yngwie is a bad example of shredder vibrato because his vibrato is perfect for any style. For "shredder vibrato" see Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert, both of which I love as guitar players but have the above described "shredder vibrato".

8. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Something I've noticed in my own playing and in others, is that the wide "shredder" vibrato seems to be easily applied to notes on the G-string, so you will hear a trend of sorts between players and the phrasing with that vibrato. It tends to fall on the notes on the G string quite often.

9. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

I like it when it's not at its' widest. At its' widest it sounds out of tune. The other problem is he overuses it.

10. shg

shg Senior Member

Yngwie's got the best vibrato in the biz.

When I think "shredder vibrato" I mentally picture that nervous, shallow little spasm that says "I've spent all my time practicing sweep picking and not a single moment actually working on vibrato". It's practically the youtube vibrato.

11. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I think that wide vibrato isn't appealing because of our whole sensitivity to vocal (singing) sound. In other words, just as we are tuned to really recognize faces, we also are acutely sensitive to voice also.

Actual vibrato is not an affect in singing. It happens from the diaphragm and everyone's in uniquely different. It usually emerges in time with a singer's improving vocal production and support. To sound good, it cannot be forced or manipulated.

The wide vibrato here does not have a vocal quality to it to my ears at least. It's more of a stylistic affect that he applies to the note.

If you listen to guys like Angus or even EVH, their vibratos are a lot faster and seem more connected emotionally. There's lots of guys who get this wrong too so it's worth really working on it and listening to how other guys get it right.

12. kimock

kimock Member

:facepalm:

13. SteveO

SteveO Member

14. Sid

Sid Member

so much obsession with perfection...

15. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

To make it worse: so much obsession with OTHER PEOPLE'S idea of perfection.

16. dreamspace

dreamspace Member

Gotta say I'm not a fan of that kind of vibrato. Too hysterical/fast.

17. SteveO

SteveO Member

It is pretty quick, but the man can do it cleanly and evenly-with all four fingers!

18. DRS

DRS Member

Yngwie's great but I prefer Steve Morse and Al DiMeola's vibrato. Listen to Steve's "Travels of Marco Polo" and other songs off of Steve's first two Steve Morse Band albums.

19. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

All great players, different vibratos, i even like the Yngwie, Its his thing, he owns it, that clip with symphony orchestra is a lot of fun, hes got a lot of passion.

20. ES350

ES350 Member

I'm sorry---this vibrato sounds like a bad theremin or a pennywhistle; cartoony, out of tune, histrionic, almost a lampoon of itself. And too many bad associations with 'nightmare kiddie jam at the music store Sat afternoon'. It's laughable.