Why do so many reverb pedals omit a tone knob?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dnauhei, Feb 29, 2012.

1. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

I like dark reverb and most pedals will not work for me because they lack a tone knob. Is it really so difficult to incorporate one into a pedal?

2. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

my Space has plenty 'o knobs!

but i understand. tone shaping in Reverb is key, in my opinion.

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Thats one of the main reasons I got the Boss FRV-1. I roll the tone all the way off, and it still sounds springy, without being bright and piercing. I probably couldn't use it without the tone knob. I play into dirty amps with boost pedals, and these conditions easily aggravate reverb pedals, especially the treble frequencies. However, into a clean amp, the FRV-1 sounds great with the tone control around halfway.

4. teleclem

teleclem Member

I think that there are a lot of guys that just want a simple (1-2 knob) reverb.

That said, I do like tweaking. And that's why I like my Space. :)

5. JoeE

JoeE Member

The treble cut mod is super easy on most reverb pedals. I did to on my chicklet and now it sounds much much better IMO.

6. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Why would you need a tone knob on a reverb pedal? There are tone controls on most amps as well as other pedals, it's over thinking. Just play! Do you find tone knobs on built in reverb units?

7. dulcetpine

dulcetpine Member

The Dr. Scientist reverberator has 'dark' presets built in. I like it for a live/practice situation.

8. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Sorry to disagree. One would need a tone knob on a reverb pedal because the tone of the reverb is too bright or dark. Nothing the amp tone knobs could fix. There are fine examples of amps that allow control of the built-in reverb tone, post-preamp. In fact, it is one plus with my own amp head and I take advantage of it for different styles. It isn't "over thinking" if a reverb pedal's tone is too bright or dark and therefore not usable. I for one didn't use the internal reverb in two previous amps at all because it wasn't useable but would have been if I could've dialed down the highs. And the pedals that I sought had some sort of tone conrol. The pedals that didn't? I passed on.

9. Whalestone

Whalestone Member

Tone King Meteor/II:
    "A 12AX7 tube driven reverb receiver allows for shaping the sound of the reverb signal with its own reverb tone control"
    http://www.toneking.com/products/meteorII/index.html

10. therealzeke

therealzeke Member

+1 love the FRV-1!

11. Jove

Jove Member

The famous outboard tanks of the 60's, which are arguably what a good percentage of the "spring" style pedals are trying to emulate, do in fact have tone knobs. And in my opinion, it is one of the greatest advantages of an outboard spring reverb to have the shaping options. There are LOTS of sounds in a simple spring reverb as long as you can adjust the parameters.

J

12. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I agree, the liveliness knob is important on my RV7, I keep it below 12.

13. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

Hmmm, maybe that's one reason people might want a reverb pedal instead of just using their amp's reverb?